High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Mar 11, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #3,541 of 4,183
Anyone come across this cable from Japan , made by Rosenkrantz

A7DA9EAA-87B6-4C59-A0BA-2928A64FF1FD.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #3,542 of 4,183
Anyone come across this cable from Japan , made by Rosenkrantz

A7DA9EAA-87B6-4C59-A0BA-2928A64FF1FD.jpeg
I got one through byuee, it’s quite microphonic and I didn’t spend too much time with it, I definitely should spend more time testing it at home. I just have to find the time.

construction wise is nicely built, extremely light and of course extremely original with all the wires in different colors.

A7FF8DC1-CE9B-4CDD-8CF0-5826AE1A6A35.jpeg

Mar 11, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #3,543 of 4,183
Friends, I'm back with some impressions of the lovely Eletech Plato that was kindly loaned to me by @Wyville (huge thanks!). The cable surprised me in many ways and build quality is up there with the Eletech standard (which has sort of set a new standard). First, I tried out the Plato on my Noble Katana because it is a monitor that really showcases differences in the chain. My preferred pairing with the Katana has been the PlusSound Exo Tri-Silver for its transparency, technical abilities and overall comfort/build. The Plato brings a smoothness to the sound that was a really nice surprise. Where the Tri-Silver is the more sparkly, "silver sounding" cable for lack of a better word, the overall smoothness of the Plato was immediately apparent. It brought a slight perceived warmth to the signature, probably because of how smooth it presented the treble. Still, I heard lots of detail and resolution, just an overall sense of natural response and smooth presentation. I really like the pairing! Bass impact was ever so slightly enhanced was the Plato as well, but overall quantity is pretty similar.

this read like describing the EA Lionheart to a T, how much does Plato cost ?

Mar 11, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #3,545 of 4,183
Mar 11, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #3,546 of 4,183
Mar 11, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #3,547 of 4,183
1000$ ? wow that's a lot - i got my LH used from here for 300$ , i suggest you try and hunt one out i you liked Plato so much
Not really apples to apples. . .different materials used for the conductor. Not to mention all the green(oxidized) LH cables I have seen lately, kind of makes me want to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #3,548 of 4,183
Yeahhh but to rephrase that - I feel like the parts on the 800$ Athena 8 wire were great for a 100$ cable, but not really of an 800$ one

Essentially - yes. Other than the difference in materials I didn't get the sense that the 800$ cable was in any way better than their cheaper stuff. I guess that's fairly standard for cables, but I'd at least want to see a fancier split or whatever, just about anything to distinguish one from the other
So PW audio using the same plugs for their 1k+ 1950s and their $150 no5 would be a turn off for you?

Mar 11, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #3,549 of 4,183
Anyone have trouble wearing cables that have the straight earphone connectors? They kinda dig into the sides of my head and give me pimples. I haven’t had this problem after switching to cables with angled earphone connections, a lot more comfortable.

Mar 11, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #3,551 of 4,183
Not really, i've seen a $200 silver cable have this.

Ok so that means the way it was forged isn't a sign off better sound quality?

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #3,552 of 4,183
The thing I like about Satin's wire, is it does not get stiff like a lot of EA cables for example. :wink:
My griffin doesn't seem to be PVC - it's some sort of TPU/TPE, and it's showing no signs of stiffening yet. and I'm the second owner

hi, i was wondering if there is a way to soften a cable, I have an after market cable and it started to get a bit stiff and loose its flexibility after bout a year.
yes there is! you can get your cable soft for an entire 3 minutes by using a hair dryer on it. When it cools, it's back to stiff crap, and no better than it was before. Try anything you like, the PVC is chemically altered and the plasticizers have been reduced. it'll never be soft again I'm afraid.

You can sell them here on headfi. of course disclosing the stiffness. I did this with a PW No5 (actually took a video of it for proper sales disclosure), someone still bought it for $70! see below, the fun begins at 00:35 lol

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KSTV82ML3njCtDPZ8

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #3,553 of 4,183
this read like describing the EA Lionheart to a T, how much does Plato cost ?
Lionheart and Plato are quite different cables. With my Phantom Lionheart is warmer and more intimate with thicker notes and excellent timbre, while Plato extends the stage considerably further, adds a lot of air with slightly leaner notes and a level of transparency and resolution that is really quite impressive. Of course it depends on the specific pairing.

Mar 12, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #3,554 of 4,183
My griffin doesn't seem to be PVC - it's some sort of TPU/TPE, and it's showing no signs of stiffening yet. and I'm the second owner

yes there is! you can get your cable soft for an entire 3 minutes by using a hair dryer on it. When it cools, it's back to stiff crap, and no better than it was before. Try anything you like, the PVC is chemically altered and the plasticizers have been reduced. it'll never be soft again I'm afraid.

You can sell them here on headfi. of course disclosing the stiffness. I did this with a PW No5 (actually took a video of it for proper sales disclosure), someone still bought it for $70! see below, the fun begins at 00:35 lol

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KSTV82ML3njCtDPZ8
Thanks for confirming Satin uses a superior insulation, than some of stuff that gets stiff.

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #3,555 of 4,183
Ok so that means the way it was forged isn't a sign off better sound quality?
It is a sign of better sound quality, but it doesn’t mean it is the best silver cable in the world :beyersmile:

Thanks for confirming Satin uses a superior insulation, than some of stuff that gets stiff.
I confirm my Chimera stay the same for a year, it even become a little softer. They also claim in their website that their new line of cable won’t get stiff like other brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back