High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Dec 19, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #3,406 of 4,196
Interesting stuff! In the full sized cans world, where I used to hang out, balanced is the way to go. However, I have only been using 3.5 since I got into iems, and have no complaints.

Arguing balanced vs. single-ended is an incredibly pointless affair. It all depends on how the amp manufacturer implements each circuit. Sometimes a DAP will have SE and BAL outputs that sound the same, or that offer entirely different tonalities, etc. I’ve yet to find a trend that defines an SE sound or a BAL sound.

Dec 19, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #3,408 of 4,196
Arguing balanced vs. single-ended is an incredibly pointless affair. It all depends on how the amp manufacturer implements each circuit. Sometimes a DAP will have SE and BAL outputs that sound the same, or that offer entirely different tonalities, etc. I’ve yet to find a trend that defines an SE sound or a BAL sound.
That makes sense. Don’t think anyone was arguing, but get your point.

Dec 19, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #3,410 of 4,196
You seem to have experience with both the Thor II and the Han Sound Agni II and I'd like to know your thoughts on both.

I'm currently using the Thor II with the Legend X and Sony NW-ZX300 and the sound is a tiny bit too warm for my liking, and I'm looking to get a little more treble out of my cable but without losing too much bass. I find the Thor II to have a little bit of graininess as well which I don't like either. For comparison, I find the bass on the Ares II lacking.

For me having had the Thor II and wanting the same as you I went with the Cleopatra and I was very glad I did...

Though you could also look at the Lionheart... that was a warm sound whilst offering a similar brightness of the Thor II...

I preferred the lionheart and Cleopatra over the Thor... but Cleopatra over all the other silvers I have had...

Worth a look and a listen (if you can that is)

Dec 19, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #3,411 of 4,196
For me having had the Thor II and wanting the same as you I went with the Cleopatra and I was very glad I did...

Though you could also look at the Lionheart... that was a warm sound whilst offering a similar brightness of the Thor II...

I preferred the lionheart and Cleopatra over the Thor... but Cleopatra over all the other silvers I have had...

Worth a look and a listen (if you can that is)

I bit the bullet last night and already ordered the Agni II, but I'll report back on how I find it

Dec 23, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #3,413 of 4,196
anyone have the dunu hulk or anything like them, say.. OSLO or maybe MEE x drop iem cable? thinking of getting a modular adapter iem cable

Dec 24, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #3,414 of 4,196
I am a happy new owner of an Athena 8 wire, and this cable is insane! I am absolutely blown away, by the performance of this cable. I am using it with my Noble K10U, and this pairing is incredible. The Athena cable is like adding a really good tube amp in the chain, and took my K10U to a completely new level of performance. With the Athena connected to my K10U, it is literally like a new dimension has opened up and things really became 3d like. The depth and height of the soundstage has increased, and sounds explode all around my head, coming from a completely black background. The bass hits hard and digs super deep, and the mids have this amazing euphonic texture, with the best vocals I have ever heard, and the highs have the perfect amount of sparkle for my taste. Words to describe the overall sound would be, organic/natural and powerful yet still resolving. This cable is worth every penny, and could make anyone a believer.

I just read what I wrote and it sounds like I might be exaggerating, but I am not. :wink:

Noble K10U + Satin Audio Athena 8 wire = ENDGAME :ksc75smile:

4PMTl2Kh.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #3,415 of 4,196
Hey does anyone know if Ediolic (or any other high-end company) makes a non-recessed 2-pin connector?

My Elysium fit really well, but they are kind of deep and when I take them out I am kind of bending the 2-pins of any cable other than their stock one.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #3,416 of 4,196
Hey does anyone know if Ediolic (or any other high-end company) makes a non-recessed 2-pin connector?

My Elysium fit really well, but they are kind of deep and when I take them out I am kind of bending the 2-pins of any cable other than their stock one.
Do you mean like this?
upload_2019-12-27_22-1-59.jpeg

Dec 27, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #3,417 of 4,196
Do you mean like this?

Precisely like that, thank you you beautiful angel...if I wanted to source just those 2-pin connectors though, do you know who would sell them?

Dec 27, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #3,418 of 4,196
Precisely like that, thank you you beautiful angel...if I wanted to source just those 2-pin connectors though, do you know who would sell them?
[Blushes] :wink:

I honestly have no idea because I have so far only seen them with Effect Audio as an option. Maybe you can ask if they sell them as DIY parts. Or else check with PlusSound, as they sell DIY parts, although as far as I know not these type of connectors.

Dec 27, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #3,419 of 4,196
Thanks for the info, I will send out some feelers and see if anyone knows where they source them/if anyone makes them at the same quality as other TOTL connectors.

Dec 27, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #3,420 of 4,196
I love my Ares ll 8-wire cables. I use them while walking (I have a life at home that generally precludes listening while on the couch or in a chair) and have no issues with "heaviness" or thickness. My only unhappiness about them is that EA consistently refuses to put a slider on them (and I have asked numerous times, nicely), so I've had to make one from thin leather string. Sound is truly satisfying. I'm curious about the Eletechs, but am waiting until SoCal CanJam this summer to try them (Eric said he'd be there). My Zeus (which is not warm) and my SP1000 (which is not warm) pretty much demand a copper cable. I'm a true believer in 8 vs. 4, as I had the 4's first and the 8's expanded the already wide soundstage, improved the already good placement, and added a bit of lower and upper end without losing the transparency and sparkle I value in my combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back