High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
May 29, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #2,912 of 4,183
Never seen 12 wire cable but looks awesome. Thanks for the info!
Here is another one, the SilverFi R5. Looks awesome, sounds awesome, but the ergonomics caused a crushing defeat for my cable-roller ego. Still.... I had to try. :D
Eden_SilverFi_2.JPG

Jun 1, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #2,914 of 4,183
With all the talk about uber expensive cables lately, I'd like to add a little bit of contrast with my latest review: Satin Audio's Griffin and Chimera. They have two of the best price-to-performance ratios I've ever seen, and I'm extremely happy to see a new brand making waves at the entry level. Enjoy! :D

Jun 1, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #2,915 of 4,183
20190516_150329.jpg

PW Audio 1960s 2 wire 4.4mm mmcx.
With RHA CL2.

Sub-bass hits hard and deep. Clean.
Mid-bass is above neutral, really works with this iem, gives the mids a thickness and a quality lesser cables lack.
Mids have incredible resolution and transparency, as far as my ears can tell, perfect timbre.
Upper mids are a bit forward, and add a jazz nightclub vibe to the music, emotional with excellent separation and resolution.
Treble is rich and extended, timbre as far as I hear it, is spot on.
Soundstage is very wide, and deep. Background is jet black, notes come out of thin air.
I am about 250 something hours in, and sound is still improving.
Sound is very smooth, zero harshness of any kind. End game cable as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #2,916 of 4,183
With all the talk about uber expensive cables lately, I'd like to add a little bit of contrast with my latest review: Satin Audio's Griffin and Chimera. They have two of the best price-to-performance ratios I've ever seen, and I'm extremely happy to see a new brand making waves at the entry level. Enjoy! :D

Satin audio makes some really really good cables. Still difficult to find and purchase though (unless you're prepared to fight customs :D)

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #2,919 of 4,183
And the most beautiful 10 wires I have ever seen! @SeeSax are you still liking how it enhances your iems three days in?

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #2,921 of 4,183
Classic Collin! I will refrain from further enhancement talk :)

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #2,922 of 4,183
I’m feeling pretty insufficient over here with all this talk of 12 wire cables. I just graduated to a 10 wire!

-Collin-
For 12 you should tried Brimar Deep State :)

Jun 5, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #2,924 of 4,183
Here is another one, the SilverFi R5. Looks awesome, sounds awesome, but the ergonomics caused a crushing defeat for my cable-roller ego. Still.... I had to try. :D

Fortunately the cable maker is open to new ideas (It maybe that I've establised a good relationship w/ cable maker throughout the years so not sure mods available for general public so YMMV) and a very kewl audiophile. I have zero issues with ergonomics on my R4 and it naturally flows over the ear. If I had to nitpick, the cable is a bit stiff on the lower end. Not much issue with microphonics but I added a shirt clip just in case. Once you add a point of center, microphonics get reduced to near zero. I used the most flexible 3M heat shrink available, Eidolic 2-pin and 6.3mm Furutech for this build.

With the R4, it helps complete my dream to build the most neutral, reference transportable rig possible up to the transducer. So a neutral, warm and even (bitting my tongue...) colored sig transducer can play nicely with a solid neutral foundation. Hopefully, the future estat CIEMs lean towards a neutral sig.

I'm able now to control my transportable rig with a IR remote control or Apple Watch (No iPhone needed), so it's pretty much hands-free as well as RFI-free now. Although RFI was never an issue, it's pretty much pro-actively eliminated from the equation.

r4_pix.png

r4.png

(Should look better IRL with OLED screen)

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

thl.png

^^ This still applies but ergos no longer an issue up top. ^^

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #2,925 of 4,183
Fortunately the cable maker is open to new ideas (It maybe that I've establised a good relationship w/ cable maker throughout the years so not sure mods available for general public so YMMV) and a very kewl audiophile. I have zero issues with ergonomics on my R4 and it naturally flows over the ear. If I had to nitpick, the cable is a bit stiff on the lower end. Not much issue with microphonics but I added a shirt clip just in case. Once you add a point of center, microphonics get reduced to near zero. I used the most flexible 3M heat shrink available, Eidolic 2-pin and 6.3mm Furutech for this build.

With the R4, it helps complete my dream to build the most neutral, reference transportable rig possible up to the transducer. So a neutral, warm and even (bitting my tongue...) colored sig transducer can play nicely with a solid neutral foundation. Hopefully, the future estat CIEMs lean towards a neutral sig.

I'm able now to control my transportable rig with a IR remote control or Apple Watch (No iPhone needed), so it's pretty much hands-free as well as RFI-free now. Although RFI was never an issue, it's pretty much pro-actively eliminated from the equation.

(Should look better IRL with OLED screen)

^^ This still applies but ergos no longer an issue up top. ^^
Great to see your experiments with the new parts are working out for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back