High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Nov 24, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #3,286 of 4,183
It might be worth seeking out a PlusSound distributor for that 20% discount depending on where you are in the world to avoid the long wait: I found one in Hong Kong willing to do the same discount. Sure the price might be a little higher overall but it’s definitely cheaper than doing rush order plus shipping and you don’t get to customize the cable options like you do on the PS website.

Anyways, X6 Tri-Silver ordered and should be arriving very soon :)
I wonder how a 4, 6, and 8 wire cable of the same material would compare. I remember Plussound saying the difference between a 4 and a 6 is not as dramatic as the difference between a 4 and an 8. But at the same time, I think maybe a 4 and a 6 wire cable would have more character than an 8? I feel like most 8 wire cables I've tried are all clear and transparent sounding with only a hint of their cable material.

Nov 24, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #3,287 of 4,183
I wonder how a 4, 6, and 8 wire cable of the same material would compare. I remember Plussound saying the difference between a 4 and a 6 is not as dramatic as the difference between a 4 and an 8. But at the same time, I think maybe a 4 and a 6 wire cable would have more character than an 8? I feel like most 8 wire cables I've tried are all clear and transparent sounding with only a hint of their cable material.
I haven't really tried any 6 wires, but you're right that when listening to a 8w the cable material gets negated a little bit...

Between my Cleo Octa and my DHC 8w I literally can't spot any difference. The difference between the Leo/Cleo Bespoke and the Cleo Octa is also pretty small - some touches here and there

I'm really really curious to receive my Eletechs to compare. Will be my first venture into proper exotic material combinations

Nov 24, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #3,288 of 4,183

I suppose that’s generally true with most silver/copper cables going from 4 to 8 wires. I do agree that most of the times more wire count yields better transparency and details.

When different materials are mixed you may observe some different effects. I’ve tried:
- 4 wire vs 8 wire Toxic Cables Gold Silver Poison (gold-plated silver) and the 8-wire variant is a lot warmer than the 4-wire version and I think the 4-wire version offers better instrument separation & clarity.
- PlusSound Exo Tri-Copper vs X8 Tri-Copper. The Exo version sounds warmer and less detailed than the X8.
- Hansound 4-wire Aegis vs 8-wire. It’s almost as if we’re talking about two different sound signatures here, not necessarily one better than the other.

And damn the HK and TW post offices are really efficient: I already have my X6 Tri-Silver before it’s Monday.

Nov 24, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #3,289 of 4,183
Hi guys (and girls), I’m looking for a PlusSound cable that would be alike the PW audio 1960s in that it is airy, brings out micro detail yet has a naturally tonality like a copper cable and has a slight bass emphasis (I know, it sound like I want to have my cake and eat it). Any ideas? It would be to pair with a legend x

Nov 25, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #3,291 of 4,183
Nov 26, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #3,292 of 4,183
I haven't really tried any 6 wires, but you're right that when listening to a 8w the cable material gets negated a little bit...

Between my Cleo Octa and my DHC 8w I literally can't spot any difference. The difference between the Leo/Cleo Bespoke and the Cleo Octa is also pretty small - some touches here and there

I'm really really curious to receive my Eletechs to compare. Will be my first venture into proper exotic material combinations

Oooooooooooh which Eletech's did you get? Guessing the Iliad? Super curious to hear how it compares. Eric is awesome.

-Collin-

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #3,294 of 4,183
Hey guys! Here is my review of Electro Acousti Cryo-Litz 7N UP-OCC & 7N SCC cables on Twister6. They are nice high quality cables priced very well. Have a look and let me know what you think. :D

I don't know if Electro Acousti has been talked about here in this thread or not. So here is a para from my review about the company.

Electro Acousti (EAC) is a cable brand and manufacturer based out of China. They offer a variety of high-quality wire materials, some of which are very cool, rare and uncommon. They manufacture their own accessories like jacks, connectors, Y-splits, terminations, etc. under their own brand called Eagle. You can order from their stock wire combinations and choose the accessories to go along with them or make a completely custom cable from scratch choosing whichever wire you like from the options they have, and have them make it completely as per your specifications. All these customization options along with good craftsmanship and high competitive pricing makes them a very enticing value for money high quality brand.

Some pictures as eye candy. :)

1.jpeg 2.jpeg
2.png 3.png

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #3,296 of 4,183
Hi folks,

I received about 4 days ago my new cable from Han Sound Audio, the 2 wire hybrid gold-silver-copper TORFA.
And I want to share my first impressions with you.

I bought this cable after a mail conversation with Edward Shen from Han Sound Audio, in which he suggesting me their new development.
I asked for a neutral sound with a bit of warmness, not to technical, and a good soundstage and what can I say, in combination with my VE6x this cable tweak the sound right how I like.
Compare to my last cable, the Leonidas from Effect Audio (which went so stiff after 2,5 years that they got very uncomfortable behind the ears), in my opinion this cable is better balanced regarding of the frequencies , and more important the frequencies are clearly separated, fast and present.
The hardware and the build quality are exceptional, the
I do not want to hide two negative points:
The first is that the 2-pin termination (shiny silver) , the plug (black plastic) and Y-split (gunmetal) are not harmonius in design and color, maybe I ordered to early during they crafted my cable they presented a new Y-split (in honeycomb design like the plug) and a black termination.
The second is that the cable is a bit "noisy" especially when you wearing a collared shirt

Anyway, over all a great cable which I can recommend

Enjoy the music and have a good time
Cheers!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #3,297 of 4,183
Hello cable people,

I know this may be considered sacrilege, but for quite a while I've wanted a high-end cable that has a mic and works with an Iphone. I know that such a cable flys in the face of TOTL cables and any mic attachment will ruin the audio chain, but it would still be very helpful. Thanks!

Might be a bit late to your post mate but you could have a look around for NOS Campfire Audio Litz cable with mic and lightning connector... they don’t sell them on their site anymore but while I have been shopping around for some cables I have seen them still for sale as part of some sellers own internal stock...

They are priced around $150... which is a good price imho for a decent cable with a mic and certified lightning connector...

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #3,298 of 4,183
As well as a top line iem cable from Plussound’s Poetic range I also ordered one of the Bluetooth models.

I am an LDAC Bluetooth fan and my DAP outputs it. But it can also receive AAC or sbc from my iPhone.

look ma! No cables!

I hope it behaves well and alerts me to incoming calls and I can take phone calls easily while listening to my DAP.

I hope to get both soon.

I must have gone Black Friday mad to have forked out for them both. 20% off!

$$$$$. :ksc75smile:

Dec 1, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #3,299 of 4,183
Hi guys, new to cables here after hearing the difference while demo'ing andro's and slightly underwhelmed in stock configuration then switching to gold 16.
Where can i find some good information about how cable designs, configuration and materials affect the sound in audio? is the science established yet above and beyond just impedance?

Are there any hard fast rules like, silver is bright, gold is smooth, X wire configuration increases... ect ect
Currently considering for andromeda the gold 16, AK crystal cable PE22 and maybe effect audio stuff.

Thanks

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #3,300 of 4,183
Hi guys, new to cables here after hearing the difference while demo'ing andro's and slightly underwhelmed in stock configuration then switching to gold 16.
Where can i find some good information about how cable designs, configuration and materials affect the sound in audio? is the science established yet above and beyond just impedance?

Are there any hard fast rules like, silver is bright, gold is smooth, X wire configuration increases... ect ect
Currently considering for andromeda the gold 16, AK crystal cable PE22 and maybe effect audio stuff.

Thanks
It's a bit complicated to answer. Different cable materials do have a "traditional" sound profile, but that is only if those configurations fit the profile. The Effect Audio Cleopatra for example fits the traditional silver profile very well

It is entirely possible however that a different silver cable has an entirely different silver cable to have a certain warmth to it, that traditional silvers aren't known for

I'd say have a look at the reviews of individual cables that you're interested in. Two reviewers I'd especially recommend for cable specifically are @Wyville and @Deezel177

All that being said, I've found that a cable generally doesn't possess a sound of its own, but is rather reliant on the pairings with the IEMs and their synergies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back