High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Mar 3, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #2,734 of 4,183
Mar 3, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #2,736 of 4,183
It's all silver cable with a good review. I thought it looks okay and sound alright. It's only $20. If you don't feel right, you can return it.
I use $30 fiio 2.5mm<>3.5mm adapter on my N8 for tube connection and have no complain. Sounds just as good.

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #2,737 of 4,183
Actually, I bought this to connect my Solaris/Gold16 (4.4mm) cable to my old 1061 player for cable burning but didn't feel any drastic change.
What are you planning on connecting?

It's all silver cable with a good review. I thought it looks okay and sound alright. It's only $20. If you don't feel right, you can return it.
I use $30 fiio 2.5mm<>3.5mm adapter on my N8 for tube connection and have no complain. Sounds just as good.

Ares II 8 wire, looking for an adapter for when the NuTube Amp 9 module comes out for the DX200. Also thought about just buying another cable altogether but not keen on having the connectors on the Phantom go loose.

Certainly an easy try at $20 though

Mar 5, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #2,738 of 4,183
I haven’t heard the Ares II in 8 wire, so I won't be able to provide comparisons... but I did enjoy the Hansound Zen 4 wire so much I got the 8 wire not long after.
To my ears the Hansound Zen both 4 and 8 wire is fairly transparent and very smooth, it has moderate warmth. The mids are quite balanced and the highs are well extended. I like the balance between good body and nice separation.

I think the Zen review by Nic on THL applies, as the 8 wire is basically the 4 wire but with better soundstage, separation and better extension up top. The ergonomics is great, when I got the 4 wire I was surprised by the low footprint and how supple it is. The 8 wire is very usable even on the go. The build is really good. Great value IMHO. I found the Zen 4 wire smoother, more transparent than the Ares II 4 wires which is more dynamic and “agressive”.

Do you happen to remember if the 4-wire was less mid-forward than the 8-wire? I like the Zen's sound signature, but do find it a little mid-forward with the Hyla CE-5.

Also, I'm not sure I like Han Sound Audio's choice of not using molded ear hooks(?). It sounds really microphonic when rubbing against my glasses, and the weight is noticeably pulling out my IEMs more than the Ares 8-wire. The chin slider doesn't help too...

Mar 5, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #2,739 of 4,183
To me the signature is really consistent between 4 and 8 wires, if you find the 8 wire mid forward then the 4 wire won't be different, in fact it might be a little more so as the soundstage is not as big it will be a bit more forward.

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #2,740 of 4,183
Wow, that's unfortunate. It does only happen with my Hyla CE-5. Luckily, I'm still within the 1 year warranty. I'd be surprised if it's the sockets though, because my Oriolus has taken more abuse. The CE-5 does tend to be more snug though.

It's just the same 8-wire cables do work on AMP2, AMP4 (which I've sold), and my R2R-11. So logically, it shouldn't be the CE-5's sockets. If I remove the iPhone, AMP8 would be the next logical conclusion aa the cause of the issue. I'm sending it in for inspection and iBasso trends to be really quick with these, so it shouldn't be too long of a wait. Shipping was $35 for a small flat rate box and I'm still in warranty I think.

@ctaxxxx Hey man, not sure where you ended up on this issue but sadly I think I am now experiencing the exact same thing. Plugging my Eros II 8-wire into my CE-5 and playing it through the DX200 with Amp8 does very weird things, most notably a very loud static noise in the right ear. Doesn't happen on my Sony desktop setup and doesn't happen with my Samurai II cable (which is four wire). Very odd and sounds almost identical to your situation.

Maybe we can take this to PM because it's slightly OT for the cable thread, but would you mind providing an update and letting me know where you are on the issue? As it stands, I'm about to throw my Amp8 and DX200 into the trash can.

Cheers,

-Collin-

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #2,741 of 4,183
@ctaxxxx Hey man, not sure where you ended up on this issue but sadly I think I am now experiencing the exact same thing. Plugging my Eros II 8-wire into my CE-5 and playing it through the DX200 with Amp8 does very weird things, most notably a very loud static noise in the right ear. Doesn't happen on my Sony desktop setup and doesn't happen with my Samurai II cable (which is four wire). Very odd and sounds almost identical to your situation.

Maybe we can take this to PM because it's slightly OT for the cable thread, but would you mind providing an update and letting me know where you are on the issue? As it stands, I'm about to throw my Amp8 and DX200 into the trash can.

Cheers,

-Collin-

This is after your CE-5 is repaired too? That's not good... I guess it crosses the Hyla CE-5 off the list of culprits...

My AMP8 is still on its way to iBasso for inspection. I'll let you know via PM what happens when I get it back.

Mar 6, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #2,742 of 4,183
got a 35% off discount on the EA Thor Silver II, jfc, it’s the Nicki Minaj of silver cables... it’s almost too enhanced to be real, not sure i like it or not, impressed, yes, shocked, yup, but it altered the tonality of the iems to such a large degree and consistently that i am a little taken aback, and this is coming from an obessive and (relatively) experienced cable roller... smh... hmmm...

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #2,743 of 4,183
IMG_20190306_181256.jpg IMG_20190306_181542.jpg IMG_20190306_181810.jpg Got my Dita OSLO today. Time for burn-in.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #2,745 of 4,183
Looks great. How's the ergonomic? Does it sound that warm and fuzzy?

Hello, the cable is not as supple as 1960s but it is not stiff definitely.

Initial thought: Bass is deep and less punchy than 1960s. High is less sharp (or I would say less emphasis than on 1960s). The best part is for female vocal, I think it's a bit better than 1960s. I would say OSLO is a very musical cable. Microscopic is as good as 1960s. Still need more time to let it burn-in.
YMMV

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back