High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Aug 9, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #2,191 of 4,194
Aug 10, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #2,192 of 4,194
And my review of a current favourite, the Rhapsodio 2.98 silver-gold alloy.

https://theheadphonelist.com/rhapsodio-2-98-v2-silver-gold-alloy-cable/

IMG_1399.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1419.jpg
    IMG_1419.jpg
    9.2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 10, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #2,193 of 4,194
Aug 10, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #2,194 of 4,194
Thanks for the review!
I didn't think the price would be so attractive :)

Quick question, it doesn't seem to be listed on their website, not yet available to the general public?
Ah yes Rhapsodio's website is always outdated. Maybe because Sammy keeps changing stuff all the time. It's available if you contact him via Facebook for instance, which is generally the best way to deal with Sammy. If you show some persistence he might give you a bit of a discount ; )
How did you find it with the A18t?
Sorry Ike slipped my mind, but yes it is a great pairing. Works in unison to create a highly resolved, but slightly warmer and smoother sound.

Aug 10, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #2,195 of 4,194
Ah yes Rhapsodio's website is always outdated. Maybe because Sammy keeps changing stuff all the time. It's available if you contact him via Facebook for instance, which is generally the best way to deal with Sammy. If you show some persistence he might give you a bit of a discount ; )

Got it, thanks!

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #2,196 of 4,194
Hi, I am looking for advice - can anyone define the difference in sound signature on - pure silver, silver plated copper or silver plus gold (like from PlusSound).

Also, my maximum budget is $350, but looking for cheap as possible. Any brands offer good quality sound - as much as clarity and separation possible within my budget?

I have checked Thor Silver II+ on their site, it's features seems impressive. But any other brands offering same quality sound?

Thanks in advance...

Aug 10, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #2,197 of 4,194
Hi, I am looking for advice - can anyone define the difference in sound signature on - pure silver, silver plated copper or silver plus gold (like from PlusSound).

Also, my maximum budget is $350, but looking for cheap as possible. Any brands offer good quality sound - as much as clarity and separation possible within my budget?

I have checked Thor Silver II+ on their site, it's features seems impressive. But any other brands offering same quality sound?

Thanks in advance...
Pretty much have the same question, and from what I've read, Pwaudio Loki seems to be the thing.

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #2,198 of 4,194

Thanks in advance...

There's no hard and fast rule about how a cable will sound based solely on the conductor used. For instance, two copper cables from two different manufacturers might have little in common, wide-wise.

However... there are some clichés to give you a starting point as to what to expect:

Copper is known for a warmer tone. More bass, less treble.
Silver-Plated Copper is v-shaped. Bass, but now more treble also.
Silver is known for purity of sound. Colorless, and sometimes even bright.
Silver + Gold, often with a very small percent of gold mix into the alloy, helps to warm up that pure silver sound, making it less bright.

Why this information is not too helpful if because some cables, like Thor Silver II, is a very abnormal creature, and is warmer and less bright than you might expect. Likewise, Ares II has more treble than many simple coppers.

Try reading as many reviews as you can on the cables you're interested in. And of course, if you get the chance, hear them for yourself.

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #2,199 of 4,194
There's no hard and fast rule about how a cable will sound based solely on the conductor used. For instance, two copper cables from two different manufacturers might have little in common, wide-wise.

However... there are some clichés to give you a starting point as to what to expect:

Copper is known for a warmer tone. More bass, less treble.
Silver-Plated Copper is v-shaped. Bass, but now more treble also.
Silver is known for purity of sound. Colorless, and sometimes even bright.
Silver + Gold, often with a very small percent of gold mix into the alloy, helps to warm up that pure silver sound, making it less bright.

Why this information is not too helpful if because some cables, like Thor Silver II, is a very abnormal creature, and is warmer and less bright than you might expect. Likewise, Ares II has more treble than many simple coppers.

Try reading as many reviews as you can on the cables you're interested in. And of course, if you get the chance, hear them for yourself.
Hi Pinky, been a fan of your down to earth way of doing reviews, your take on the Oriveti NP (along with few other's) is one of the main reasons why I decided to get them.
Now that have them, it's only natural that I would look for an after market cable to help them shine the brightest (pun intended). I believe they can benefit from something bright-ish, with good clarity and spacious stage. You think I can get something like that with 200$? My source is the Shanling M3S.
Oh and btw, is it a terrible idea to pair them with the Pwaudio No. 5, given the fact that the No. 5 is somewhat warm and rich in tone?

Aug 10, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #2,200 of 4,194
The no. 5 would be a mistake only because you said you wanted to boost clarity first.

I would recommend the Ares II, given your price range and the Orivety NP signature.

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #2,201 of 4,194
I have pw no5 hp for hd800s, balance xlr4.
I use it few days and then put it in zip bag with oxigen absorber.
I think it is not as good as my unbranch, no name Chinese made for hd650 before, a same price one.
(I do wonder how it good!).
Since my hd650 death recently due to accidental while moding, remain that cable. I cut the wire and mod to some 2.5 balance to dual xlr, 3.5 to xlr4,... and they're all good for me.
Cable structure is one of importance to consider beside its material.
I prefer big as big size diameter but as small as each fibre diameter. At that condition, 4 wire is ok, no need of 8x

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #2,202 of 4,194

Thanks in advance...

If you want to maximise clarity and separation, I'd recommend the PlusSound Silver + Gold; bright, clear and clean, but oh-so-smooth due to excellent headroom in the treble.

Aug 11, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #2,203 of 4,194
If you want to maximise clarity and separation, I'd recommend the PlusSound Silver + Gold; bright, clear and clean, but oh-so-smooth due to excellent headroom in the treble.
And they are very comfortable cables! I use the Silver + Gold on my Rhapsodio Saturn and can wear them for hours on end while I waste my time playing video games (while I should really be doing academic stuff). :D

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #2,204 of 4,194

@Deezel177 PlusSound which series should I go for? To be paired with Andromeda. For now with the stock copper cable, the guitars and the drums are smooth, clear and sharp even boosting up 4k-16k frequencies - which I like. But the vocals are taking hiss at high volume.
@PinkyPowers Thanks a lot for elaboration.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #2,205 of 4,194
Just auditioned the Hansound Aegis 4-wire and 8-wire today and here are some pics and brief impressions:

64 Audio A18t, Hansound Aegis 4 & 8-wire, PlusSound X8 Tri-Copper (this is mine)
AAA7D085-181B-4DD7-BADF-98EA1B18870B.jpeg
72315279-6B8C-4C82-8F33-D234F4520754.jpeg
CF7D45F4-26DD-425A-9699-FE3C03156614.jpeg

Impressions:
I spent a good 20-30 minutes listening to each of the Aegis wires. I also listened to my own Tri-Copper for direct comparisons with the two wires using the Sony WM1A & A18t. After listening to these wires, I have some mix reactions and I'll probably need more listening time to articulate these thoughts so I'll just focus on two aspects of the sound of these wires that stood out for me: vocals and bass impact.

Vocals:
Aegis 4-wire provided the most sparkle out of the three wires, followed by the Tri-Copper, the Aegis 8-wire had the least sparkle but the most thickness and smoothness out of the three.

I'm not sure how long the 8-wire Aegis was burnt-in for since the demo unit just arrived today so yes, my impression may change (I've placed my order for the 8-wire). At times it seems like the Tri-Copper sounds like a "6-wire Aegis" where i hear traits from both the 4-wire and 8-wire Aegis. It may be that the WM1A isn't powerful enough to open up the 8-wire Aegis, I'll definitely try with other sources when I get the actual wire.

Bass Impact:
I'll characterize the differences in terms of impact area. Aegis 8-wire clearly has more impact area compared to the 4-wire. While the Tri-Copper's impact area is similar to the 4-wire Aegis', I did feel the punch was harder on the Tri-Copper compared to the other two wires.

Concluding Thoughts:
Aegis 4-wire is a bit V-shaped compared to the 8-wire where the sound is generally thicker and more detailed. I feel like I need to drive the 8-wire with something with more oomph to open up it's sound and that's why I chose to order the 8-wire, I'd like to see if I could unleash its potential.

The X8 Tri-Copper has its advantages against the Aegis wires and is still my current favorite. I guess it all comes down to presentation, there's something about the Aegis that makes me want to explore and spend more time with it. I think the Aegis wires are very competively priced, great job Hansound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back