High end headphones without an amp
Nov 16, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #31 of 41
Yeah, old Sony discmans (before they were concerned with battery life) actually have great headphone out. Circa before 1994 they all seem to have lots of juice for headphones......maybe not as articulate as an expensive rig, but leaps and bounds better then current pcdps

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
I can run my 650's out of my Sony D-303 and it sounds surprisingly good retaining depth and articulation. This is not true for the other Sonys I have.

Nov 16, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
I'm currently using my K701 straight out of the amped output of my Echo Indigo DJ to great effect! I've put down an order for the Headfive (if there are any left) just to see what they sound like out of an entry-level desktop amp. Previously, I was amping the K701 out of a Hornet (M). There was definitely an audible difference, mainly in the bass frequencies.

How about the soundstage? I find the soundstage from the Micro to the HD595 much better than from the DJ direct.

Nov 16, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #33 of 41
I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the 600s
smily_headphones1.gif
You onced mentioned a classical guitar collection....they'll sound killer with those. IMHO, the bass extension also helps with jazz, trance, electronica, and alternative music. Some regular rock too. MS-1s would be better for spirited rock. Keeping them and the MS-1s are a good idea....can't go wrong with that combination!!!

I'm exchanging my seldom used 501s to a head-fier for their Grados...gonna see how it brings out my hard rock
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
...I'm more than just a little open to being surprized and pleased by them if they do good in areas other than classical and organ music however! I fully expect to split my CD collection into two groups depending on which tunes sound best through which cans!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose
I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the 600s
smily_headphones1.gif
You onced mentioned a classical guitar collection....they'll sound killer with those. IMHO, the bass extension also helps with jazz, trance, electronica, and alternative music. Some regular rock too. MS-1s would be better for spirited rock. Keeping them and the MS-1s are a good idea....can't go wrong with that combination!!!

I'm exchanging my seldom used 501s to a head-fier for their Grados...gonna see how it brings out my hard rock
cool.gif

This is really starting to sound like fun!! I don't know which pair of phones are going to end up being my "favorite." I almost have the feeling that the word "favorite" may likely disappear from my vocabulary!!

Gettin' better all the time!
smily_headphones1.gif
600smile.gif

Nov 16, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

I can run my 650's out of my Sony D-303 and it sounds surprisingly good retaining depth and articulation. This is not true for the other Sonys I have.

Some things just have synergy. I was shocked to find during the time that I had a K1000 that my lousy Pioneer 5.1 amp (not awful for $300) actually sounded quite listenable.

Hell, right now I prefer my PSP with the KSC-35 to my iPod+amp+most phones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
This is really starting to sound like fun!! I don't know which pair of phones are going to end up being my "favorite." I almost have the feeling that the word "favorite" may likely disappear from my vocabulary!!

Gettin' better all the time!
smily_headphones1.gif
600smile.gif

Absolutely man. I harped on you a bit for being so gung ho on the MS2... and I think for good reason. I don't believe you can truly "love" the phone you have until you know what else is out there. The MS2 might not be your sound... and the journey to find it and refine it can be incredible.

Nov 16, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Absolutely man. I harped on you a bit for being so gung ho on the MS2... and I think for good reason. I don't believe you can truly "love" the phone you have until you know what else is out there. The MS2 might not be your sound... and the journey to find it and refine it can be incredible.

Absolutely correct!!

I was almost living under the impression that MS2i would be the "perfect" set of phones simply because they sounded just like my floorstanding speaker system while listening to light rock using the receiver set to "direct" while sitting in the sweet spot where my ears were placed in just the right location in the room! All the vocals and instruments were perfectly arrayed in 3-D space. Incredible!! I could put on my MS-1s and later the MS2i and get almost that same sound without having to move my chair.....ever!!
smily_headphones1.gif

But then....Oh oh. What about classical? The really big stuff classical?

With the speakers; no problem!! Simply turn the receiver from "direct" mode to "surround" which switches on the other three speakers and the sub!! And "Poof"! Instant big ol' hall!!
tongue.gif
I can't do that with MS2i!
frown.gif

Yup! Sounds like a job for another set of cans more designed for that purpose!
600smile.gif

No question about it; if there were more years ahead of me and even more dollars to spend, there are tons of cans and amps and sources out there to explore!! What a trip it could be!!

Nov 16, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #38 of 41
I have just got a HD580 and tried it on my Arcam AVR100 receiver, everything (singer, instruments) seems to be inline (ie, not 3D soundstage). My HD580 is still in the process of burn-in, hofefully, it will get better! I don't have any experience to any delicate headphone amp, so I don't know how they sound like. I am wondering if there is any headfier located in Calgary, AB (Canada) so that I can get some auditions
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by rayq
I have just got a HD580 and tried it on my Arcam AVR100 receiver, everything (singer, instruments) seems to be inline (ie, not 3D soundstage). My HD580 is still in the process of burn-in, hofefully, it will get better! I don't have any experience to any delicate headphone amp, so I don't know how they sound like. I am wondering if there is any headfier located in Calgary, AB (Canada) so that I can get some auditions
smily_headphones1.gif

From how this reads is sounds like you have it in mono.

Nov 16, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #40 of 41
If you are OK with spending your money on a headphone only realize a fraction of it's capability. Or you have a burning desire moan and groan on a thread, post purchase, about how your Sennheisers are veiled, then the Senn 580/600/650 un-amped is the perfect headphone for you.

Otherwise, look to some 590's, 595's AT900's, or some Grados.

- augustwest

Nov 16, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

From how this reads is sounds like you have it in mono.

I do get the L/R position, what I meant for "inline" was that it seemed hard to distinguish singer in front, guitars middle, and drum in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back