High end headphones without an amp
Nov 15, 2006 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

elbow

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm looking for a new set of headphones and desperately need some advise before I drown in information.
blink.gif

The headphones will be used indoor only, most of the time connected to my Denon S-301 system (supporting Dolby headphone). I do not want a dedicated headphone amplifier, but I'm not sure how much "juice" the headphone outlet is capable of delivering (how can I find out)?

I mostly listen to rock/indie/alternative/singer-songwriters, and will perhaps use the headphones for a movie from time to time (no priority). I have little experience with headphones, so I really don't know which "sound picture" to look for, but I want a generally high quality, natural sound (if that makes any sense).

I've been drooling a bit on the Sennheiser HD650/HD600, but I've read over an over again that those are a waste of money without a dedicated amp. Is this true even though I'm only going to use them with my Denon receiver?

Any suggestions/advice are most welcome!
cool.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 41
Yep, being a Sennheiser fan, I can say that the 600s and 650s need a headphone amp for the genres you listed. However, there is hope. Think about the HD595......it's lower impedence, has the same drivers as the 600s, and are more forward sounding (good for rock). They're really good for movies. They should sound pretty good through the Denon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elbow

I've been drooling a bit on the Sennheiser HD650/HD600, but I've read over an over again that those are a waste of money without a dedicated amp. Is this true even though I'm only going to use them with my Denon receiver?

Any suggestions/advice are most welcome!
cool.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 41
Hey, it's a Sennheiser.....it's got the bass
very_evil_smiley.gif
Since it's got the warmness of a Sennheiser, it's great for movies. I like listening to DVDs through my laptop with it....dolby headphone definitely sounds great!!! It does open up with an amp, but since it's easier to drive, you can get good sound out of it with more moderate equipment.

Main difference is that it's drivers are angled towards your ears....so music seems more forward. Since it seems to have more treble, some say it doesn't have as much bass as the 600s. Since I have both phones, I have to dissagree...if the source material has bass, it's going to dish out bass in spades.

The only thing is that 600s become more of a favorite when you get into ultra high equipment. It's got a larger soundstage, and it'll open up and get more treble with really high end equipment.

Nov 15, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 41
I think the HD595s would be a great choice for you. I bought them for a friend and had a chance to listen to them. A bit more forward than the 650s, but characteristic Sennheiser sound an definitely don't require an amp. For some types of music, you might even prefer the 595s.

Nov 15, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 41
oh yea, they got bass. i thought they sounded great when i was using them unamped. and they only sound better amped! the 595's would be a great chocie if you want to go unamped.

Nov 15, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 41
IMHO, the 595 whallops all but the most expensive Grado series for movies. You need a soundstage for dolby headphone!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
I'm not a huge fan of the 595. I would recommend considering the Grado SR-225.

Nov 15, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose
IMHO, the 595 whallops all but the most expensive Grado series for movies. You need a soundstage for dolby headphone!!

Grados can provide a surprising amount of depth with proper amplification. Though that's an entirely different conversation and not for the weak of heart or the weak of wallet.

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

OP said movies are not a priority and I find the 595's soundstage to be very blobby anyway. In my opinion, if you're thinking about the 595 and you like rock, you really need to also consider the 225.

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

the HD595......it's lower impedence, has the same drivers as the 600s

Where did you hear this?
blink.gif
I've cracked open my beater HD515s, which share a variation of the driver in the HD595s, and it is not the same driver in the HD580/600, nor is it the same driver in the HD580 Jubilee, nor is it the same driver in the HD650.

*Edited for clarity*

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 41
To the best of my knowledge, the 595 DOES NOT have the same driver as the 580/600, which, in turn, do not have the same drivers as the 650 (although this is a more murky distinction).

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
which, in turn, do not have the same drivers as the 650 (although this is a more murky distinction).

Sorry, I edited my post to make it more clear. I too don't believe the entire HD580-650 line utilizes the same drivers but rather variations of the aforementioned drivers.

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #15 of 41
The 515s are not the same as the 595s.....the 650 does have a different driver then the 580/600s. I read that Sennheiser did redesign the diaphragm for the 650. I've cracked open my 595s and 580s to see the difference. Since the 595s are manufactured with a new process, their magnet sytem is a bit different, but the diaphragms are the same. So I think the drivers of the 595s and 580/600s are more similar then the drivers to the 650s.....my belief anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
Also listening to the 595s and 580s, their tonality is similar (just with the 595s having an angled driver, they do appear brighter).

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Where did you hear this?
blink.gif
I've cracked open my beater HD515s, which share a variation of the driver in the HD595s, and it is not the same driver in the HD580/600, nor is it the same driver in the HD580 Jubilee, nor is it the same driver in the HD650.

*Edited for clarity*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back