High-End Earbuds (VE, Blox, SHOZY etc) and Earbud Gear Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jul 26, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #31 of 1,031
Dang I was supposed to get the MC5 today but the USPS says delivered and I got nothing... Last time that happened was another lost headphone; at least this time it wasn't a package worth over $1K at least 
frown.gif

I hope the mail man just forgot to give me the key or something and i can get it on Monday, even though it is like 110 degrees here.

Jul 27, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #33 of 1,031
  Currently, yes. I used my own criteria at the genesis of the thread to make the rankings. I was thinking of having an open vote system to determine the ranking order or an aggregate review average but nothing is set in stone yet. Currently, the rankings are my own personal recommendations as decided by reading most of the entire last dasetn thread and following the old earbud roundup thread for years so I didn't just randomly make this list up, a good amount of time went into it.   

Concerning "Budget list recommendations <$50", I would rate M2C before E100 (because I can see a lot of people here and in french boards which are very happy with their M2Cs, E100 seems not to have enough reputation to be placed before it, at my opinion of course).
And about the ">$50 List recommendations", I would say that PK1/OK1 should be before ANV3SE (here also of course that's my opinion, but we should wait for other reviews if you want to edit this)
smily_headphones1.gif

ah btw, that's my old nickname :) I like bass of course but I totally changed my music tastes from the last years, so I can appreciate all types of buds now, hehe

Jul 27, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #35 of 1,031
HEHE a very nice neighbor (nice looking too 
wink.gif
) just dropped off my MC5 because the mailman dropped them off in her mailbox instead of mine. Quick impressions; great packaging, a lot of extra foamies, very good build quality (other than maybe the cable) at any price level, very comfortable, and sounds great for $9 but not really to my liking.

EDIT:Might add more when I get the PK2 in a week or two (so I can compare the MX985, PK2, MC5, Bundle Special Xperia Earbuds). 

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #36 of 1,031
alv glad you got your MC5. Post full impressions when you have the time. 

sub, I take your suggestions seriously, that's why I have now set up a poll so everyone can be heard. 

So, I did set up a poll so everyone can have a say now. It's just for the budget list recommendations at the time and maybe we will do the other list if this goes well. Here's the rules that I'll put into the original thread:

Poll Rules (vote for one earbud, the order of rank of votes determines their order on the list. In terms of a tie, the current order on the list remains):
1. Please only vote if you've actually heard the earbud you are voting on, and at least 1 other earbud in the remaining choices.
2. Even though voting is anonymous, I'm highly encouraging each voter to make a small post to explain how they voted and their rationale so we know how to interpret the results. If the poll gets 5x more votes than explanation posts, I'm going to disregard the results. We need at least some analysis of the votes otherwise it could just be random people who haven't heard anything voting and messing up the results.  
3. If you want an earbud added to the options, then at least 3 other posters must nominate it along with you. I'll add it if it seems like it could actually get votes. 

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #37 of 1,031
So I've got the MC5 in as a review unit and I'm comparing it to the E100 I got as a cart filler on Amazon and oh boy. I didn't know earbuds could sound this good. Quick impressions of the sounds of each.

E100: Open, airy with surprisingly strong and taut bass. A bit v-shaped in presentation with a fairly wide soundstage. Mids are thin but detailed and the high end is prominent and sparkly.

MC5: One word that immediately popped into my head as I listened to them for the first time is "lush". Thick, rich mids, a solid low end (not as strong or as controlled as the E100 to my ears) and laid back treble. This one is great for vocal, jazz and acoustic music and is relaxing and intimate next to the E100s more aggressive presentation.

Both are fantastic earbuds, especially for the $15 price they're going for, sounding far, far better than you'd think they had any right to.

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #38 of 1,031
alv glad you got your MC5. Post full impressions when you have the time. 

sub, I take your suggestions seriously, that's why I have now set up a poll so everyone can be heard. 

So, I did set up a poll so everyone can have a say now. It's just for the budget list recommendations at the time and maybe we will do the other list if this goes well. Here's the rules that I'll put into the original thread:

Poll Rules (vote for one earbud, the order of rank of votes determines their order on the list. In terms of a tie, the current order on the list remains):
1. Please only vote if you've actually heard the earbud you are voting on, and at least 1 other earbud in the remaining choices.
2. Even though voting is anonymous, I'm highly encouraging each voter to make a small post to explain how they voted and their rationale so we know how to interpret the results. If the poll gets 5x more votes than explanation posts, I'm going to disregard the results. We need at least some analysis of the votes otherwise it could just be random people who haven't heard anything voting and messing up the results.  
3. If you want an earbud added to the options, then at least 3 other posters must nominate it along with you. I'll add it if it seems like it could actually get votes. 

Will wait till me MC5 arrive to vote ..but currently me liking me Tingo ...

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #40 of 1,031
I used to listen to Final Audio Piano Forte II and really liked them for what they could do ( unsurpassed comfort of earbuds + decent sound). I had been using them with my laptop until they got broken ( I use Sony EX-600 IEMs in the street). After they broke I have been using Sansa earbuds which came as a kit with a Sansa clip+. They are also pretty decent. I recently received Apple Earpods and couldn't believe how unpleasantly they sounded ( tinny, too much high frequencies) in comparison to my warm Sansas though I love their ergonomics and comfort. Maybe Earpods should burn in? I wouldn't mind to get another pair of Piano Fortes. On Amazon Japan they cost around $30. For such a price they should be in a list <$50 because of their nice mids ( voices reproduction) and pretty decent bass with proper fit.

Jul 30, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #41 of 1,031
I need some help to chose my next earbud . I've been waiting for some time now for the blox to release the flagship and it seems it won't happen anytime soon.

I want the most neutral , transparent earbud . I have pk1 but it is a bit warm. I lean towards OK1 and mx985 so can anyone suggest me an earbud to my liking?

Jul 30, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #43 of 1,031
I need some help to chose my next earbud . I've been waiting for some time now for the blox to release the flagship and it seems it won't happen anytime soon.

I want the most neutral , transparent earbud . I have pk1 but it is a bit warm. I lean towards OK1 and mx985 so can anyone suggest me an earbud to my liking?

Not sure if I could describe the sound difference clearly at this time as I don't have my PK1 anymore. I had both and I have to say I like the OK1 sound sig way better than the PK1. It's more accurate and refined overall. Although quantity wise, PK1's bass is more based on memory and sometimes too much that it tends to bloat. The OK1, though has less bass, is more punchy and controlled. No mid-bass hump and very detailed. I had mine for a while and is for sale. If you're interested, PM me.

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #44 of 1,031
Not sure if I could describe the sound difference clearly at this time as I don't have my PK1 anymore. I had both and I have to say I like the OK1 sound sig way better than the PK1. It's more accurate and refined overall. Although quantity wise, PK1's bass is more based on memory and sometimes too much that it tends to bloat. The OK1, though has less bass, is more punchy and controlled. No mid-bass hump and very detailed. I had mine for a while and is for sale. If you're interested, PM me.

I have to agree that pk1 sometimes has overpunching bass . I believed that it was due to the amp i was using but this seeems to be the case. I decided to try a more neutral sound . I will send you a pm about ok1 . Right now i'm in dilemma with mx985 and ok1 or i just wait for the next flagship of blox and hifiiman

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #45 of 1,031
  I have to agree that pk1 sometimes has overpunching bass . I believed that it was due to the amp i was using but this seeems to be the case. I decided to try a more neutral sound . I will send you a pm about ok1 . Right now i'm in dilemma with mx985 and ok1 or i just wait for the next flagship of blox and hifiiman

If build quality is not an issue for you and you are someone who goes all in, no compromises for sound quality then the new blox flagship seems to be where it's at or maybe even hifiman. I am interested in the Sennheisers myself because I like to go for the full package potentially sacrificing some scalability. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back