High-End Earbuds (VE, Blox, SHOZY etc) and Earbud Gear Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 17, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #767 of 1,031
ClieOS has updated his long-running earbud comparison to include Dasetn, Baldoor, Tingo, and a few other brands:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/441400/earbuds-round-up-update-april-25th-2015

May 17, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #768 of 1,031
  ClieOS has updated his long-running earbud comparison to include Dasetn, Baldoor, Tingo, and a few other brands:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/441400/earbuds-round-up-update-april-25th-2015

I am going to be updating mine sometime today or tomorrow with the earbuds that I own/have recently listened to. It will include the Blox BE5 and BE7 which ClieOS does not have on his list, but I do not own any VE buds so it will be missing from my list. Will update the first post when I get around to it. 

May 18, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #769 of 1,031
While coming upon this thread through random browsing, I noticed that the Blox TM7 looked VERY familiar to me for some reason... and noticed that they share the same outer shells as these Korean Air freebie Earbuds they give out on their flights, lol:

They must share the same OEM company for the outer shell. If I look closely to the face part of the buds I can even see pre-marking for those four big "dimples" on the TM7.

BTW, don't go looking for these KAL earbuds or anything since the shell is the only thing they have in common with the TM7, they're just about the worst sounding earbuds I've listened to, lol... no highs and mids with this weird echo effect to them...

May 18, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #770 of 1,031
  While coming upon this thread through random browsing, I noticed that the Blox TM7 looked VERY familiar to me for some reason... and noticed that they share the same outer shells as these Korean Air freebie Earbuds they give out on their flights, lol:

They must share the same OEM company for the outer shell. If I look closely to the face part of the buds I can even see pre-marking for those four big "dimples" on the TM7.

BTW, don't go looking for these KAL earbuds or anything since the shell is the only thing they have in common with the TM7, they're just about the worst sounding earbuds I've listened to, lol... no highs and mids with this weird echo effect to them...

Its a commonly used shell, from DIY products to other retail releases. The VE Zen has the exact same shell, albeit in white :) Asura has the black one and looks identical

May 18, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #771 of 1,031

[pics]

The design has been around since at least 2001 when the Sennheiser MX400/500 were released. I think Sharp MD players also came with earbuds that were based off the same Foster Electric 040596 (PDF).

The housings are probably still around because they're easy to mold and can be assembled by hand, makeing them perfect for DIY-ers and small manufacturers.

May 18, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #772 of 1,031
Those Sharp 4-pole version  were quite good though they only gave both channels with the Sharp players. Very much like the Koss KSC75 but better. All time in my top 5 but not with the adapter through regular players just the Sharp which limited the potential of them.

May 19, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #774 of 1,031
I've had 6 different pairs of buds with that now generic but once Sennheiser design. It's purpose is to hold the drivers for the average ear size. It works. but also says nothing about the drivers inside except that they are dynamic and under 16mm. I've had buds that look like that that sound like speakers with soup bowls over them and also pretty natural sounding smooth buds.

May 27, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #778 of 1,031
Just got them in the mail and I'm not really impressed. They only sound when angled toward my ear canals while being pushed in. Otherwise they sound very tinny like you would expect $12 earbuds to sound. I very much prefer my earpods over these, but you might like them if you can get a good fit.

May 28, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #779 of 1,031
  Just got them in the mail and I'm not really impressed. They only sound when angled toward my ear canals while being pushed in. Otherwise they sound very tinny like you would expect $12 earbuds to sound. I very much prefer my earpods over these, but you might like them if you can get a good fit.

Am continually amazed that they don't fit people. Ears are weird. For me, the E100s aren't even in the same universe as the inferior Earpods - and that includes fit.

May 28, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #780 of 1,031
Interesting, cause I just got some Earpods and have been fairly impressed by them. They're far better than what I remember of the original iBuds. Very innovative and ergonomic design that results in surprisingly good bass presence/extension without foams. Also really comfortable and fits small ears because of this. Balanced, slightly warmish sound from the bass to the mids. Very open sounding with a decent soundstage. However, highs are rolled off pretty badly which is a shame. Overall they end up sounding extremely dark. But this makes it perfect for pop music, which would make sense for the stock bud included with iPods and iPhones.

I could see these worth buying separately for $30, though the build quality should really be better at this price. They may sound way better than iBuds, but they still feel the same. 

I think I'd place these around the mid tier of my <$20-30 earbuds. Still not on the level of the E100s so sorry guy above. You might have to experiment with fits or foams, or just spend more time listening. I've seen a few other opinions from people who own both and don't see how the Earpods could be better overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back