High end DAC/preamp, what am I missing here?
Apr 20, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:
Yep, gonna keep the Benchmark and send back the Essence. The DAC1 is so neutral and colorless, yet the amp section seems to really energize mids and highs giving them some extra zip. Along with getting a great new DAC, I'm also getting a kinda funky yet thoroughly enjoyable amp.

Congrats!

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #17 of 19

Quote:
Yep, gonna keep the Benchmark and send back the Essence. The DAC1 is so neutral and colorless, yet the amp section seems to really energize mids and highs giving them some extra zip. Along with getting a great new DAC, I'm also getting a kinda funky yet thoroughly enjoyable amp.

Excellent choice! My Benchmark DAC1 USB is definitely my dac end-game. Every input and output you need, great built-in headamp and I still haven't heard anything that I personally think sounds better to my ears. 

Gone for the gold; I say you've got one of the best.

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #18 of 19

Quote:
Okay, got in the Benchmark DAC1 PRE and have been running it through its paces. I wasn't extremely impressed at first, it's kind of an unassuming piece of gear, but after a couple hours it is growing on me. It has an amazing number of inputs and the amp portion is quite good.

Greetings Magick Man,
If you're using the balanced outs and your amp's input stage can handle 10 Vrms, I strongly suggest you try setting the pads at 0 dB attenuation. I would take the -10 dB headphone jumpers off also while you're in there.

At these settings, the level of slam and dynamics goes off the charts while remaining clean and without compression (as long as your amp can handle it). FYI the output impedance is lowest at +0 dB and -20 dB settings. Don't forget to turn your amp volume down also :)

Apr 22, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #19 of 19

Quote:

People who prefer the "old school" DAC "sound" (over-build power supply, comprehensive output stage type things) find what you describe to be "bright" and "hi-fi"-sounding. It seems to be a modern trend in DACs. It works well with certain headphones and certain types of amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back