High End Cables Thread (digital, analog, power)
Jan 7, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #121 of 881
Lols Bassic, I did take a class or two, in fact I took a whole bunch of them (engineer life!!)

You are bang-on in one way - nothing in the design of cabling/devices, beyond the relevant standard, makes much difference to packet integrity in the network......in ethernet, packets flow back and forth, get corrected, buffered and ingested. In USB/SPDIF etc, signal data flows continuously, usually isosynchronous (for audio applications) and gets buffered, parsed and distributed by the receiver. All good. occasionally there are snags, but that's usually due to broken/damaged kit rather than 'quality' issues. Sometimes very long lengths of USB can't sustain high data rates, but that's just crappy conductors, and easily cured by spending $20 rather than $10 on the cable :D

I do see benefit in good digital cabling and switches, but only after everything else is as you want it. Reducing RF noise in the digital domain does help in two broad classes of circuits - D/D conversion (i.e. a network bridge converting Packet data to Iso signals like USB or SPDIF) and D/A convertors - both have a mix of IC's and solid state devices - filters and OpAmps are very susceptible to RF-induced impedance in circuits, and it does affect the dynamic range and dynamics of the modulated output waveform

But, it's a subtle effect, and you won't really hear it until you are maxed out on speakers, headphones and amplifiers. Slightly disagree on headphone cables - they can have marked effect on sound presentation, but they won't make a gash signal sound good :D

But what about galvanic isolation from networking equipment? Could that provide benefit e.g. Sonore opticalRendu?

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #122 of 881
But what about galvanic isolation from networking equipment? Could that provide benefit e.g. Sonore opticalRendu?

for sure - opto-couplers are excellent isolator - no electrical currents of any kind flow across the link, so it's a total firebreak for RF noise. However.....

good optical isolators are expensive. cheap ones make their own noise (they do, after all, have to clock and generate new pulses, which means some form of photo-exciter, amplification, pulse transformers and a bit of filtering. They have their own power supply as well, which introduces more noise.

Sonore do a great job with this, both in the OpticalRendu and the SE - tbh, the opticalRendu is not noticably better than my conventionally wired microRendu in terms of absolute SQ (fractional, maybe a few hints here and there of more detail, really marginal gains). The Sonore SE is excellent, but a £3k, it's expensive compared to conventionally wired streamers - as an example, the Auralic Aries G1 sounds nicer (I think), for about £1100 less.

separate network isolators, like GigaFoil for example, are brilliant, but at £1000 a hit just for an opto-isolator, it's pretty expensive.

Jan 9, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #123 of 881
Lols Bassic, I did take a class or two, in fact I took a whole bunch of them (engineer life!!)

You are bang-on in one way - nothing in the design of cabling/devices, beyond the relevant standard, makes much difference to packet integrity in the network......in ethernet, packets flow back and forth, get corrected, buffered and ingested. In USB/SPDIF etc, signal data flows continuously, usually isosynchronous (for audio applications) and gets buffered, parsed and distributed by the receiver. All good. occasionally there are snags, but that's usually due to broken/damaged kit rather than 'quality' issues. Sometimes very long lengths of USB can't sustain high data rates, but that's just crappy conductors, and easily cured by spending $20 rather than $10 on the cable :D

I do see benefit in good digital cabling and switches, but only after everything else is as you want it. Reducing RF noise in the digital domain does help in two broad classes of circuits - D/D conversion (i.e. a network bridge converting Packet data to Iso signals like USB or SPDIF) and D/A convertors - both have a mix of IC's and solid state devices - filters and OpAmps are very susceptible to RF-induced impedance in circuits, and it does affect the dynamic range and dynamics of the modulated output waveform

But, it's a subtle effect, and you won't really hear it until you are maxed out on speakers, headphones and amplifiers. Slightly disagree on headphone cables - they can have marked effect on sound presentation, but they won't make a gash signal sound good :D
It sounds like we are more in general agreement than not. If one purchases well-engineered components, then (in theory) the rejection of noise is built-in, and shouldn't require using external devices to eliminate it.

I stated that speaker/headphone cables merit attention, as do analog interconnects. Not sure what you're taking exception with there.

Jan 9, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #124 of 881
I just read some of this thread for the first time. Anyone who thinks Ethernet cables or switches can make any audible difference in a system really needs to take an engineering class or two. USB cable differences are also highly dubious, but at least plausible for longer lengths and/or poorly-engineered (non-reclocking) DACs.
t sounds like we are more in general agreement than not. If one purchases well-engineered components, then (in theory) the rejection of noise is built-in, and shouldn't require using external devices to eliminate it.

Yep - general agreement, except for the first quote - cables and switches do make an audible difference, but as you go on to say later, it's nothing to do with packet integrity, and everything to do with noise rejection.

I wasn't taking exception about anything - life's too short, and everyone should enjoy their music.

Jan 9, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #125 of 881
Yep - general agreement, except for the first quote - cables and switches do make an audible difference, but as you go on to say later, it's nothing to do with packet integrity, and everything to do with noise rejection.

I wasn't taking exception about anything - life's too short, and everyone should enjoy their music.
Well no, cables and switches MAY make a difference with some components in certain situations. If you are shelling out $8k for a DAC, I would hope you don't have to buy extra gear to make it immune from external noise. YMMV.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #126 of 881
If you have a source with many outputs and a dac with many inputs i recommend you to buy a few normal cables of the same type but different connectors (usb/coax/toslink/aes/ebu) and plug them all in. Ideally you can switch directly with just one push of a button between all connections. It makes you identify the one that works the best for your combination before you spend more money on a distinct cable. I found all connections to have different characters.

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #127 of 881
I’ve been experimenting with mains cables powering my Grounded Grid electrostatic amp. A good buy which I’ve used for a year has been the Atlas 4dd which provides a solid foundation to the music - slightly on the rich to warm side which I’ve grown used to with the Stax 009s. I recently tried the Shunyata Alpha NR which is more like a hosepipe but surprisingly lightweight and flexible. I was surprised to find a lighter more nimble sound with less heavy base but better defined and a more extended and airy treble. Swapping out the AMR fuse they use in the UK mains plug for a Synergistic Research Orange improved matters further. Not bad at all.

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #128 of 881
Are you guys using the same cable brand for everything or are you just puzzling together different brands? Is here anyone that thinks that cabling the whole system with one brand is superior?

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #129 of 881
Are you guys using the same cable brand for everything or are you just puzzling together different brands? Is here anyone that thinks that cabling the whole system with one brand is superior?
I basically use the same Brand and Type for everything, after I found something I really like

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #132 of 881
Do you think using the same brand gives an advantage over throwing different together?
No, if you throw different together you have the different flavours, however if there is one you like best, you could also use exklusively that one

Jan 14, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #133 of 881
Jay at Audiobacon has noted that full looms (i.e, all cables from the same company) have a sort of bonus effect. Basically, you get more of a benefit than from just using a couple of cables from the same company. I cannot personally verify that though, as I use 2 companies and mix and match based upon my preference. But, if I ever have $40K to spend on a full loom of Audience Au24sx cables (as were used in one of the audiobacon full loom reviews), I’ll let you all know the results :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #134 of 881
Anyone has any comments on the Wireworld starlight platinum 7 usb? thecableco has a half off sale and I've put it in my cart for final price review.

Jan 17, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #135 of 881
Anyone has any comments on the Wireworld starlight platinum 7 usb? thecableco has a half off sale and I've put it in my cart for final price review.
$500 for a USB cable? Yeah, I have some comments, but you probably don't want to hear them. :no_entry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back