High End Cables Thread (digital, analog, power)
Jan 17, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #136 of 881
$500 for a USB cable? Yeah, I have some comments, but you probably don't want to hear them. :no_entry:

The ones I'm using now cost a few hundred more... :k701smile:

Feb 12, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #137 of 881
20210123_212248.jpg
20210123_212311.jpg
20210123_212331.jpg
20210123_212447.jpg
20210123_212510.jpg
20210123_212418.jpg

Definitely the nicest case I've seen so far for a USB cable lol! Really nice quality. Solid connectors too.

Also decided to try an aes/ebu cable to compare against i2s. Ordered a synergistic research lvl 2 atmosphere X Excite.

20210211_142133.jpg
20210211_142155.jpg

Should be a fun weekend!

Feb 12, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #138 of 881
20210123_212248.jpg20210123_212311.jpg20210123_212331.jpg20210123_212447.jpg20210123_212510.jpg20210123_212418.jpg

Definitely the nicest case I've seen so far for a USB cable lol! Really nice quality. Solid connectors too.

Also decided to try an aes/ebu cable to compare against i2s. Ordered a synergistic research lvl 2 atmosphere X Excite.

20210211_142133.jpg20210211_142155.jpg

Should be a fun weekend!
Why man?... Starlight 8 is released already!

Feb 12, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #139 of 881
Why man?... Starlight 8 is released already!

This was on half price! Plus just bought it to try, and a spare 2m cable can be useful sometimes.

Feb 12, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #140 of 881
I've been using FTA Callisto for a while now but keep eyeing the Shunyata Sigma. It gets some amazing impressions but the retail price is hard to swallow for a digital cable. Maybe I'll come across a used sale some time.

Feb 12, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #141 of 881
I am using the singxer su-6 ddc and have both the pink faun i2s and SR aes/ebu cable plugged in to the ddc and into the rockna wavelight.

It's easy to switch between the different cables by selecting the relevant inputs on the dac. I was able to so some quick a/b.

Screenshot_20210212-231342_Roon.jpg

This song has some really nice low string bass notes. The differences between the i2s and aes/ebu are extremely subtle. But with the aes/ebu cable, there is apparent more detail and texture to the plucked strings, the reverberation of the notes and the "sound" of the air moved by the strings and within the instrument itself. Every "pluck" sounds different, almost like u can hear how the string varies with frequency and intensity with which it was played.

Although still very good on the i2s, the low notes sound comparatively more uniform and there is a slight flat dull thud before the string reverberation.

I did find the i2s has that little bit of a sweeter high. The aes/ebu on the other hand is a hint less transparent/clear, but I suppose can be interpreted as smooth and having a lack of glint, which can be good too.

Again, the differences are subtle and I really had to choose one thing at a time to listen to and compare. Downside of aes/ebu is the limitation of sample rate to 192pcm and 64dsd so not a good option if you're chasing higher sample rates. But I must say even dsd64 and ext2 asdm7ec from hqplayer sounds amazing!

Feb 12, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #142 of 881
My experience with i2s and aes/ebu is pretty much the same. I2s tends to have a sweeter high and comparatively silkier sound, so I'd describe it as energetic; Aes/ebu tends to have better low ends. although the high is not as sweet as i2s. All in all it gives a "darker" and sophisticated sound.
So there is no winner in this competition. Your preferences are the only thing that matters, LOL

On the side note, SR cable is a great choice but grounding it will make a HUGE difference. With a nicer grounding cable, it will work even better!

Feb 13, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #143 of 881
My experience with i2s and aes/ebu is pretty much the same. I2s tends to have a sweeter high and comparatively silkier sound, so I'd describe it as energetic; Aes/ebu tends to have better low ends. although the high is not as sweet as i2s. All in all it gives a "darker" and sophisticated sound.
So there is no winner in this competition. Your preferences are the only thing that matters, LOL

On the side note, SR cable is a great choice but grounding it will make a HUGE difference. With a nicer grounding cable, it will work even better!

Oh thanks for that. The validation makes me think maybe I'm not so crazy lol! I'm just using the included grounding cable that came with the aes/ebu. What do you suggest? I've not much experience with grounding; the only other component I have grounded is the Uptone EtherRegen. I'm using an AudioQuest Saturn grounding cable for that.

Feb 13, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #144 of 881
Oh thanks for that. The validation makes me think maybe I'm not so crazy lol! I'm just using the included grounding cable that came with the aes/ebu. What do you suggest? I've not much experience with grounding; the only other component I have grounded is the Uptone EtherRegen. I'm using an AudioQuest Saturn grounding cable for that.

Given the mini banana plug is so rare in the market, I'd suggest getting the SR HDSX grounding cable but it costs around $400 per one...
For me, I have been using the SR grounding block and there are couple of components I need to ground as well so a full loom of SR grounding cables is too much for me.. I then asked around and found a cable maker that is willing to custom build it for me, although I need to ship the banana plugs to him first.

But in your case, as you'll only need one, the HDSX is the way to go.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #145 of 881
This seems the best place to ask this question. What experience can others share about cable extenders when mixing different materials/configurations. For example, I am using a Moon Audio Silver Dragon 1/4” to female XLR (18” length), a Moon Audio black dragon male XLR to female XLR (4 feet) connected to a WyWires Platinum 10‘ headphone cable (thanks @Roasty) so I can stretch out on my couch while listening to my Chord TT2/M-Scaler with Focal Utopia headphones. I’m also experimenting with a 10 foot Mogami gold microphone cable (1/4 “ male to 1/4” female) connected to my Danacable Lazuli Reference two meter headphone cable also from the TT2/M-Scaler. The Lazuli is terminated with Lemo connectors so I’ve also introduced an Arctic Cables Signum adapter (thanks again, @Roasty) to use the cable with my Focal Stellia (listening to that combo while I write this). I really haven’t done any sound comparisons by removing the intervening extenders and listening just to the headphone cables alone. Honestly, each combination sounds just fine!

Any opinions, comments (no flames please!!!).

Feb 19, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #146 of 881
Was just tyring out different power cords with the wa33. Triode Wire Labs Obsession and AudioQuest Tornado source.

The TWL pc has amazing transparency, clarity and air. A bit more forward and some emphasis on the highs. Very sharp leading edges and some glistening up top. Low end is tight and punchy.

AQ cable on the other hand has a smoother higher registry that is more pleasant to listen to. Also, there is a slight emphasis on midbass and bass, but low end not as tight as TWL. Soundstage width seems slightly wider with the AQ.

If more into detail and cleanliness, TWL. If going for an "easier" listen, AQ.

Feb 19, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #147 of 881
Was just tyring out different power cords with the wa33. Triode Wire Labs Obsession and AudioQuest Tornado source.

The TWL pc has amazing transparency, clarity and air. A bit more forward and some emphasis on the highs. Very sharp leading edges and some glistening up top. Low end is tight and punchy.

AQ cable on the other hand has a smoother higher registry that is more pleasant to listen to. Also, there is a slight emphasis on midbass and bass, but low end not as tight as TWL. Soundstage width seems slightly wider with the AQ.

If more into detail and cleanliness, TWL. If going for an "easier" listen, AQ.
Audioquest Tornado seems to hit it right home for me, but the price is a little steep.

Thanks for sharing the impressions

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #149 of 881
@Roasty Had you the chance to compare the AudioQuest Tornado to a Triode Wire Labs Digital High Power, which supposedly has also a smoother sound ? Thanks

Hey there. I have the TWL Digital, but not the High Power variant. Sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back