High End Cables Thread (digital, analog, power)
Dec 18, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #91 of 881
Thanks for sharing!
Never knew about MCRU until your post. Just checked out their website. They have quite a lot of items! So many power cords too and I'm not too sure how they differentiate them. Their higher end cords do look nice..
They are good people. The website is slightly clunky, but the products are great. If you have questions, drop them a mail. For their cables, they are always happy to explain build and component choices to help compare with other offerings. I've also bought a couple of their LPSU's for various items, and they are excellent value compared to other brands, and perform incredibly well.

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #92 of 881
20201222_162501.jpg
20201222_162510.jpg
20201222_162516.jpg
20201222_162547.jpg
20201223_073154-01.jpeg

Just got these in recently. Cardas Clear Reflection xlr cables. Not their top of the line; this comes in after Clear Beyond and Clear. It is their replacement for the Golden Reference cables.

It definitely has the Cardas house sound. Warm and thick, almost syrupy smooth. I tried playing my brightest harshest tracks and I get no grain or sibilance at all. If you're looking for a cable to tame the upper registry, this may be it.

However, it comes at the slight expense of some transparency and air. There isn't any lack of detail or any sense that it is severely rolled off, but it almost sounds "less fun" and less engaging.

Really nice with the TC and Susvara. Perhaps a bit thick with the Utopia. Anyways still early on so still needs a good run in.

Thick cable built well and very very flexible. I like the short xlr connectors; good for those with lack of space behind components.

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #93 of 881
I agree Cardas tends to lean warm. Maybe not an ideal pairing w/ tubes. I used the Clear rev1 and Clear power w/ HPA4 for a while and enjoyed that combo. But after I switched to WA33 I started exploring more neutral/transparent options. I tried a few comparable sets from Audience, Tellurium, Shunyata but what I liked best, and using now, is the AQ Fire + AQ Tornado. AQ Fire specifically felt revelatory to me, probably would even sway some diehard objectivists. :p

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #96 of 881
I agree Cardas tends to lean warm. Maybe not an ideal pairing w/ tubes. I used the Clear rev1 and Clear power w/ HPA4 for a while and enjoyed that combo. But after I switched to WA33 I started exploring more neutral/transparent options. I tried a few comparable sets from Audience, Tellurium, Shunyata but what I liked best, and using now, is the AQ Fire + AQ Tornado. AQ Fire specifically felt revelatory to me, probably would even sway some diehard objectivists. :p

I'm using the tornado for my niagara, and have another tornado on the way for either the wa33 or milo. I've not used AQ xlr cables before.. How would you described Fire?

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #97 of 881
So, my Xmas pressie was a little more modest than Marco_tam :D

I decide to test some ideas on network cabling. Specifically, switches and ethernet link to my network bridge.

So, for the switch, I got a Fidelizer Etherstream. I won't post pics because it looks like every other Cisco 8-port switch you ever saw. On the inside, it has some tweaks and mods designed to improve SNR, clock accuracy and power condition. (Better quality caps, better quality resistors, new Clock, neat soldering). There's a lot online about it, so google if you want the full lowdown on the switch.

I also bought an Audioquest Vodka ethernet cable, purely speculative, and from a store that will take it back if I don't want it. The point is, does it make a difference??....

So, some slightly scientific testing....

I put both the Fidelizer switch and the original Netgear 8-port in the network, bridged with the same cabling I use in the network core. And tried different combos of switch and cable (all the non-audioquest cable is cheap Cat7 patch cables). There was a lot of testing involved, (including some spouse-facilitated A/B testing). Short summary....

Cable on it's own from the old switch - slight improvement in SQ....very slight
New switch with old cable - marked improvement in SQ - better dynamics and bass detail, more mid detail and less grain in the top end
New switch and new cable - very marked improvement in SQ - just better all-round - more dynamics, more detail, more....well......more.

So, in my system, the switch makes the biggest step-up and the cable puts the icing on the cake in terms of the 'enjoyability' of music. I may try the Audioquest Diamond cable to see if there's a benefit compared to the Vodka - holding off on that one for a bit, as the Diamond is quite a bit more expensive....

The Audioquest Vodka is very well-made, and the terminations are solid (see pic for comparison to normal RJ45 ) and tightly machined.......very nice indeed, and not insanely expensive. I might try a few others in the same price point when I can beg/borrow them, and post impressions, but I'm pretty happy so far. In the context of this system, the cost is pretty decent for the step in audible enjoyment.

headfi - 1 (3).jpeg

Dec 23, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #98 of 881
So, my Xmas pressie was a little more modest than Marco_tam :D
Haha! :beerchug:

I decide to test some ideas on network cabling. Specifically, switches and ethernet link to my network bridge.

Tweaking network SQ is like opening the Pandora box...But by far I found getting a wired (not wireless) router is the most effective but also at a lower cost.

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #99 of 881
Tweaking network SQ is like opening the Pandora box...But by far I found getting a wired (not wireless) router is the most effective but also at a lower cost.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, for sure - wired is the way to go, unless your streamer provides exceptional wireless equipment. So far, the only device that seems to hold its own wireless is the Auralic Aries/Altair. I've not heard of any other devices where the Wifi connections is indistinguishable from the wired (but views/reviews welcome on that).

As for tweaking SQ, network is no more painful than optimising the Streamer---> DAC link.....maybe less choices, but no more fiddly :D

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #100 of 881
Oh, for sure - wired is the way to go, unless your streamer provides exceptional wireless equipment. So far, the only device that seems to hold its own wireless is the Auralic Aries/Altair. I've not heard of any other devices where the Wifi connections is indistinguishable from the wired (but views/reviews welcome on that).

As for tweaking SQ, network is no more painful than optimising the Streamer---> DAC link.....maybe less choices, but no more fiddly :D
Maybe you can help me here.

My Server has only LAN but getting a cable through the whole room is a pain in the ass.
Do you know any options I have so that my Server can be connected to the Internet?

@Roasty is the Pink Faun Ethernet as good as the I2s and USB?

Also has anyone experience with ViaBlue ethernet cables?

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #101 of 881
Maybe you can help me here.

My Server has only LAN but getting a cable through the whole room is a pain in the ass.
Do you know any options I have so that my Server can be connected to the Internet?

@Roasty is the Pink Faun Ethernet as good as the I2s and USB?

Also has anyone experience with ViaBlue ethernet cables?

How about using a fiber optic connection and something like sonore opticalmodule or sotm snh10g/Uptone ER? Still have to run a cable across the room, but at least it's not a 5m run of pink faun ethernet!

re: the pink faun ethernet, I haven't gotten round to doing a comparison with the FTA or phasure ethernet cables. But I find it highly likely you will just end up completing the loom.. Lol!

I must say though, the phasure ethernet et3 is an amazing lan cable. If I was not so taken by then aesthetics of the pink faun items, I would have been perfectly happy with the phasure et3.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #102 of 881
I did try swapping power cords into my rockna wavelight dac yesterday.

After @Sage Encore informed me that he had installed a Tellurium Silver Diamond power cord into his dac and reported back very favourably, I got curious if I would get any improvements swapping in a more expensive cord into my dac.

At present, I'm using the TWL Digital cord with the Rockna. I swapped in their most expensive cord, the Obsession, into the Rockna; there was an immediately apparent difference in sound but unfortunately it was not to my liking. Overemphasised on the highs and some harshness/edginess. I kept the Obsession plugged into the dac for a few hours, but felt "uneasy" when listening.

I swapped out the Obsession and plugged the Digital back in and immediately I got that sensation.. you know that feeling of ease and relief and hearing that sound you know or are familiar with.. Lol..

I guess sometimes the more expensive cable is not always the right answer.

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #103 of 881
I did try swapping power cords into my rockna wavelight dac yesterday.

After @Sage Encore informed me that he had installed a Tellurium Silver Diamond power cord into his dac and reported back very favourably, I got curious if I would get any improvements swapping in a more expensive cord into my dac.

At present, I'm using the TWL Digital cord with the Rockna. I swapped in their most expensive cord, the Obsession, into the Rockna; there was an immediately apparent difference in sound but unfortunately it was not to my liking. Overemphasised on the highs and some harshness/edginess. I kept the Obsession plugged into the dac for a few hours, but felt "uneasy" when listening.

I swapped out the Obsession and plugged the Digital back in and immediately I got that sensation.. you know that feeling of ease and relief and hearing that sound you know or are familiar with.. Lol..

I guess sometimes the more expensive cable is not always the right answer.
From my experience it's all about flavour with cables.
Over at audiobacon there are useful reviews but you know that already.

Seems like the Obsession has a lot if treble energy. If you're up for the test, you audioquest hurricane should have a very warm and thick sound and lose some treble energy. This would basically be a step into the other direction compared to your TWL Digital.

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #104 of 881
How about using a fiber optic connection and something like sonore opticalmodule or sotm snh10g/Uptone ER? Still have to run a cable across the room, but at least it's not a 5m run of pink faun ethernet!

re: the pink faun ethernet, I haven't gotten round to doing a comparison with the FTA or phasure ethernet cables. But I find it highly likely you will just end up completing the loom.. Lol!

I must say though, the phasure ethernet et3 is an amazing lan cable. If I was not so taken by then aesthetics of the pink faun items, I would have been perfectly happy with the phasure et3.
The looks and sound of the pink faun are completely hitting my Jam.(in case of i2s and USB)

The price is crazy though, so I am not too keen on getting their LAN cable(s)
Unless their is like a good wireless receiver that can connect with a short cable to the Server.

Btw what's the difference between cat 6 7 and 8?

Dec 23, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #105 of 881
Cat 7 and 8 ethernet cables are shielded and that is not good for audio applications. I use Triode Wire Labs Freedom ethernet cables that use Cat 6A. There is a discussion on shielded vs unshielded ethernet cables here:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/46225-shielded-vs-unshielded-ethernet-and-grounding/

I bought my TWL Freedom cables about a month ago when I added my Etherregen and I’m very satisfied with the cable’s build quality and more importantly the sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back