High End Cables Thread (digital, analog, power)
Dec 8, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #76 of 881
Dec 8, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #77 of 881
Lol me too. What tb size did you ask for?
1 tb is enough for me, I have an additional 2.5" SSD where my music is currently stored on. I can easily Insert that.

Most of my music is streamed via Tidal.
Mainly OSTs that I have on SSD

Dec 8, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #78 of 881
Thank you for explaining :)

No problem! Hope you'll be getting the Wavelight Server soon! It's really something to connect the DAC with native I2S and finally can say goodbye to USB. It's also this particular reason that made me pull the trigger on the Pink Faun streamer:)

Dec 8, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #79 of 881
No problem! Hope you'll be getting the Wavelight Server soon! It's really something to connect the DAC with native I2S and finally can say goodbye to USB. It's also this particular reason that made me pull the trigger on the Pink Faun streamer:)
I've heard that several times now, that a native I2s connection is a whole new level. Can't wait to experience it.
Also ordered a pink faun I2s cable, to get the best out of it.

The streamer sure is a beast! How old is the 2.12x ?
Current lineup has the 2.16

Dec 8, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #80 of 881
I've heard that several times now, that a native I2s connection is a whole new level. Can't wait to experience it.
Also ordered a pink faun I2s cable, to get the best out of it.

The streamer sure is a beast! How old is the 2.12x ?
Current lineup has the 2.16

I thought so too when I changed to native I2S. "How good can it be?" Well, it does sound way smoother to say the least!

My 2.12x is around 1 year and a half old. Actually the "2.12" was introduced for multi-channel a several years ago (aka AV streamer) and of course it can handle two-channel too. The "x" represents the new ultra clock developed by Pink Faun themselves. Jord has told me about the upcoming 2.16 Ultra which will be sitting on top in the lineup. New target for 2021 :L3000:

Dec 10, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #81 of 881
This arrived today.
20201210_155333.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #82 of 881
I somehow forgot to post the cable pic as well.
20201215_143851.jpg

A piece of Art, very well built.
I told jord that I want to use it between my stacked units of the Wavelight Server and DAC.
Therefore we made it as short as possible.

He attached the terminations in the correct alignment so that I don't have to turn or Twist anything.

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #83 of 881
I somehow forgot to post the cable pic as well.
20201215_143851.jpg
A piece of Art, very well built.
I told jord that I want to use it between my stacked units of the Wavelight Server and DAC.
Therefore we made it as short as possible.

He attached the terminations in the correct alignment so that I don't have to turn or Twist anything.

Congrats! Has the server already got a scheduled delivery date?

Dec 15, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #84 of 881
Congrats! Has the server already got a scheduled delivery date?
Not yet, somewhere in january/february is the most accurate we have at the moment

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #85 of 881
I've been messing with cables for a while and tested a bunch of different combinations - for whatever reason, whether my own sad mental bias, or actual physics, the final selection provides what sounds most satisfying to me. Also, the engineering of modern audio devices is so diverse (and to some extent, opaque to buyers) that everyones system will react in different ways to different cabling - so bear that in mind when I say that this is what worked for me - it's not a recommendation, but I would encourage you to test as many options as possible, and work out where, in your system, you get the biggest bang for your buck.

I run a Roon core via ethernet, into a MicroRendu, into a Chord DAVE by USB, then an HPA4 via XLR and finally out fo the HPA-4 into Focal Utopias via 4-pin balanced. The DAVE and HPA-4 are mains connected with no filtering, and the MicroRendu is powered by an MCRU LPS.

first off - the USB link between streamer and DAC. (uRendu only offers USB, so no option to use an SPDIF format) - I tested a bunch of cables at various price points, and kept changing up until I felt there was little gain. I eventually (and this took a long time, and involved a lot of cable loans!) landed on the Chord Sarum Super ARAY. More expensive and exotic offerings simply made no perceptible difference for me. Nothing at the same price point even came close to delivering as good a sound. Regardless of how well implemented the USB is in the DAVE, well made, well-shielded USB makes a big difference. Chord are very good at this.

Then analogue out of the DAC to the Headphone Amp. I tried a load of budget XLR cables, starting at Amazon Basics ((£4.99) which tbh was pretty good!) and working upwards through a variety of Chord, Nordost, Audioquest and Tellurium Q. Of all the pairs tested, the Chord Signature sounded right, only bested by a pair of AudioQuest Fire, but I had a mental "max" cost and it wasn't £2100!! the Chord Signature were the ones, but still a little expensive at £900-£1000. Luckily, with Chord, eBay is your friend, and there is always a steady stream of used cables for sale - ended up with a mint pair for £425. They are theTuned ARAY rather than Super ARAY, but that's fine.

For headphone cables, I have used Forza Audioworks for years now, I like the sound and the quality/handling of the Noir Hybrid, so I stick with those on all my cans - around £325 for a balanced cable with a furutech 4-pin XLR. They run from £230-£400 depending on length, and choice of connectors.

Power Cables - now then. I've tested a lot, and whilst I'm sure there are gains to be had, the optimum price/performance point for me is the MCRU no 75 (mains cables R us). They make them inhouse, with Furutech plugs - they are incredibly well made, perform really well, and cost between £120 and £200 depending on options. They perform, for me, at the same level as power cords costing £500-£600, and it wasn't until I tested options at that point and beyond that I started to hear tangible improvements. However, budgets are budgets, and the 75 does the job for me at a really, really good price. My only criticism is that they are are stiff as hell, but careful layout solves that issue. When I want to upgrade, I'll test some more exotic fuses, but only once my mate has upgraded and can lend me his :D

So, my own experience, admittedly with pretty exotic components, was this....

Digital link - The link from Source to DAC was where ££ delivered the biggest benefit to perceived SQ, certainly where it is USB..Chord Sarum Super ARAY
Analogue XLR
- At it's price point, the Chord signature XLR kicks ass compared to similarly priced offerings from other makers BUT if I'd no money to spend, the Amazon Basic XLR is about 90% as good. The Chord Shawline, and Audioquest Yukon XLR (both at around £250) were about 95% if the Chord Signature is 100% - the XLR connection between the DAVE and the HPA-4 is the least sensitive to cable quality (which if you think about how a balanced analogue cable works, sort of makes sense).
Headphone Cable - The Forza Noir Hybrid is a great, quality cable for most cans, and it suits me, but don't draw any conclusions from that - synergy between cans and cables is a pretty personal preference.
Power Cable - MCRU 75 - works great for me, and amazing value for money.

Next project - Ethernet cables, switches and filters......brace yourselves...

Cable shots......oooerr...
cables - 1 (1).jpeg
cables - 1.jpeg

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #86 of 881
oh, and weirdest cable effect ever - Years ago, I had a Naim CDS3 player, which was powered from a separate power supply. There was a Naim burndy cable that linked the player to the PSU.

I was told (and thought it was a wind-up at the time), that if I took the burndy cable, laid it out flat and straight, and rolled it back and forth for a while, the player would sound better. On the way home, I still thought the dealer was taking the piss, but they were well-respected, so I waited till nobody else was home and had at it.

Funny thing was it made a huge difference - I have no idea why, but suddenly, the staging opened up and the timing was noticably better - not subtle, we're talking night and day here (and the CDS3 was pretty good in any case).

Cables - funny things.

Dec 17, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #87 of 881
I've been messing with cables for a while and tested a bunch of different combinations - for whatever reason, whether my own sad mental bias, or actual physics, the final selection provides what sounds most satisfying to me. Also, the engineering of modern audio devices is so diverse (and to some extent, opaque to buyers) that everyones system will react in different ways to different cabling - so bear that in mind when I say that this is what worked for me - it's not a recommendation, but I would encourage you to test as many options as possible, and work out where, in your system, you get the biggest bang for your buck.

I run a Roon core via ethernet, into a MicroRendu, into a Chord DAVE by USB, then an HPA4 via XLR and finally out fo the HPA-4 into Focal Utopias via 4-pin balanced. The DAVE and HPA-4 are mains connected with no filtering, and the MicroRendu is powered by an MCRU LPS.

first off - the USB link between streamer and DAC. (uRendu only offers USB, so no option to use an SPDIF format) - I tested a bunch of cables at various price points, and kept changing up until I felt there was little gain. I eventually (and this took a long time, and involved a lot of cable loans!) landed on the Chord Sarum Super ARAY. More expensive and exotic offerings simply made no perceptible difference for me. Nothing at the same price point even came close to delivering as good a sound. Regardless of how well implemented the USB is in the DAVE, well made, well-shielded USB makes a big difference. Chord are very good at this.

Then analogue out of the DAC to the Headphone Amp. I tried a load of budget XLR cables, starting at Amazon Basics ((£4.99) which tbh was pretty good!) and working upwards through a variety of Chord, Nordost, Audioquest and Tellurium Q. Of all the pairs tested, the Chord Signature sounded right, only bested by a pair of AudioQuest Fire, but I had a mental "max" cost and it wasn't £2100!! the Chord Signature were the ones, but still a little expensive at £900-£1000. Luckily, with Chord, eBay is your friend, and there is always a steady stream of used cables for sale - ended up with a mint pair for £425. They are theTuned ARAY rather than Super ARAY, but that's fine.

For headphone cables, I have used Forza Audioworks for years now, I like the sound and the quality/handling of the Noir Hybrid, so I stick with those on all my cans - around £325 for a balanced cable with a furutech 4-pin XLR. They run from £230-£400 depending on length, and choice of connectors.

Power Cables - now then. I've tested a lot, and whilst I'm sure there are gains to be had, the optimum price/performance point for me is the MCRU no 75 (mains cables R us). They make them inhouse, with Furutech plugs - they are incredibly well made, perform really well, and cost between £120 and £200 depending on options. They perform, for me, at the same level as power cords costing £500-£600, and it wasn't until I tested options at that point and beyond that I started to hear tangible improvements. However, budgets are budgets, and the 75 does the job for me at a really, really good price. My only criticism is that they are are stiff as hell, but careful layout solves that issue. When I want to upgrade, I'll test some more exotic fuses, but only once my mate has upgraded and can lend me his :D

Digital link - The link from Source to DAC was where ££ delivered the biggest benefit to perceived SQ, certainly where it is USB..Chord Sarum Super ARAY
Analogue XLR
- At it's price point, the Chord signature XLR kicks ass compared to similarly priced offerings from other makers BUT if I'd no money to spend, the Amazon Basic XLR is about 90% as good. The Chord Shawline, and Audioquest Yukon XLR (both at around £250) were about 95% if the Chord Signature is 100% - the XLR connection between the DAVE and the HPA-4 is the least sensitive to cable quality (which if you think about how a balanced analogue cable works, sort of makes sense).
Headphone Cable - The Forza Noir Hybrid is a great, quality cable for most cans, and it suits me, but don't draw any conclusions from that - synergy between cans and cables is a pretty personal preference.

cables - 1 (1).jpegcables - 1.jpeg

I've been using the No.75 on my LPS powering the router and modem. Actually I don't find it stiff at all, compared to other power cables. But at this price point, you can hardly find another one with Furutech plugs in the market!

Dec 18, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #88 of 881

Analogue XLR

cables - 1 (1).jpegcables - 1.jpeg

Thanks for sharing!
Never knew about MCRU until your post. Just checked out their website. They have quite a lot of items! So many power cords too and I'm not too sure how they differentiate them. Their higher end cords do look nice..

Dec 18, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #89 of 881
So my NRG Custom Cables 'The 5' arrived today.
Complete set for All of my gear.
Including a comparison to one of the stock cables.

They are MASSIVE in thickness, but still quite flexible.
Sonically I can hear bigger sound stage and better sub bass.
20201218_133508.jpg
20201218_133526.jpg
20201218_134012.jpg
20201218_134419.jpg

Now I can also use my amp in my power regenerator, which gives me better clarity on top, but that would have been similar with any cable of the required length.

Dec 18, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #90 of 881
So my NRG Custom Cables 'The 5' arrived today.
Complete set for All of my gear.
Including a comparison to one of the stock cables.

They are MASSIVE in thickness, but still quite flexible.
Sonically I can hear bigger sound stage and better sub bass.20201218_133508.jpg20201218_133526.jpg20201218_134012.jpg20201218_134419.jpg
Now I can also use my amp in my power regenerator, which gives me better clarity on top, but that would have been similar with any cable of the required length.
looks great - love the 'comparison' shot to the OEM power cable :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back