High End Cables Thread (digital, analog, power)
Oct 4, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #451 of 881
Ansuz Mainz P --- update
After a couple of days, the low frequencies gained weight and punch, overall the stage is large, transparent, and the abundance of sounds in it are very clear.
This power cable is entry-level, and more expensive than the Marantz HD DAC, but Marantz has completely transformed itself into a stellar device with it.
As I stated, this cabel is of an entry level, but it belongs in the company of the greatest.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #452 of 881
Have both in my system at the moment. Roasty pretty much nailed it for 4DD. Superior is completely different type. More open, very balanced all frequencies, timbre a bit lacking compared with best.
Interesting.
I am on the lookout for power cables that cost around 1000 USD for dac/preamp. Schiit Freya+ preamp.

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #453 of 881
Well a quick update.

I finally replaced the stock factory black power cord included with the Weiss DAC501-4Ch. Although not a expensive power cord, actually a real entry level power cord, the Audioquest NRG-Y3 has shown that the Weiss is definitely capable of proformance increases with better cables.

I actually had purchased this power cord several years ago for another piece of gear and then put it away and forgotten about it. It was nice to just pop it into the new Weiss DAC for fun to see what it would do. Definitely an improvement.

In the long run I'm probably going to with a Shunyata Research Delta V2 NR power cord for the Weiss. I feel like I've already invested in the Hydra Delta D6 Power Conditioner with Venom V10 NR cables from the wall into the D6 and also a Venom V10 NR from the D6 into the Studio Six. So sticking with Shunyata is probably the way I'll go.

Oct 12, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #454 of 881
A practical question for those who understand the value of a good power cable but dislike things like power conditioners...

If you have multiple components while probably also being limited to two native wall outlets, then what do you use to connect your multiple precious power cables to the mains?

Settle for a garden variety power strip, and just keep the nervosa at bay?

Oct 12, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #456 of 881
I use Furutech with NCF sockets.

Oct 12, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #457 of 881
A practical question for those who understand the value of a good power cable but dislike things like power conditioners...

If you have multiple components while probably also being limited to two native wall outlets, then what do you use to connect your multiple precious power cables to the mains?

Like you I have many components but only two outlets at the wall. I use a PS Audio Power Plant 3 regenerator for my critical components (pre, DAC, etc) and a PS Audio Dectet power strip (that I got yesterday funnily enough) for everything else. Pretty happy overall and I can't perceive any dynamic constraints. If anything the sound is pristine and free of noise and hash.

Oct 12, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #458 of 881
I also use a PS Audio Dectet, mainly for my Farad power supplies and other smaller peripherals. handy little thing especially with the number of sockets available.

am really liking the Lab12 Gordian. I have it on Auto mode; I set the trigger power value with my components turned off, and the Gordian filtering turns off and display goes to sleep. the moment I turn on my components ie pre and power amp, the Gordian wakes up.

I also am impressed as to how it employs power correction when needed and turns it off when it doesn't. the unit itself also has different filtering modes which can be configured yourself, and yes, there is an audible difference.

Oct 12, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #459 of 881
I've used a couple different PS Audio power regenerator models, and currently an AudioQuest Niagara 1200 power conditioner.

In all three cases, I've felt like there have been important trade-offs to using them versus just going raw from the wall (or with a generic power strip rather, as hinted at above, heh). Sometimes I've liked what these intermediating power devices have done for the sound, and sometimes I just prefer taking them out of the equation.

Of course, people's experiences with power-related products diverge even more than they already do with audio components proper.

I probably just need to try more stuff for the fun of it. So the anecdotal recommendations and other ideas are appreciated. :upside_down:

Oct 12, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #460 of 881
I've used a couple different PS Audio power regenerator models, and currently an AudioQuest Niagara 1200 power conditioner.

In all three cases, I've felt like there have been important trade-offs to using them versus just going raw from the wall (or with a generic power strip rather, as hinted at above, heh). Sometimes I've liked what these intermediating power devices have done for the sound, and sometimes I just prefer taking them out of the equation.

Of course, people's experiences with power-related products diverge even more than they already do with audio components proper.

I probably just need to try more stuff for the fun of it. So the anecdotal recommendations and other ideas are appreciated. :upside_down:

I agree, there are some trade offs. I have the AQ 1200 as well, and two of the same power cords and have compared, with the Gordian into the same component. the Gordian is a bit cleaner and a bit more transparent. the AQ sounds a tad denser and meatier.

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #462 of 881

I'n the past, I've used distribution blocks from companies like MCRU - they are pretty well made and all the internal connections are well-soldered and use high quality connectors. Any well-made distribution block shoudl do it, and can't be any worse than the original wall plug connection....

Oct 14, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #463 of 881
While we're already a bit off topic, what's everyone using for ground boxes? Options like SGS, CAD, and Entreq stand out at different, affordable-ish price points.
I haven't dipped my toes in yet, besides a diy version of JCat's USB/Ethernet ground cable, which worked great. After hearing that, along with other noise reduction techniques in my system, I'm still looking for a bit more tonal color in the way that noise reduction provides.

Oct 20, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #464 of 881
High-end considerations :beerchug:

The cables (interconnect, loudspeaker and power...) and power distributors that have completely "kill the game" for me, since about 5 years from now :

https://www.murmure-audio.com/

Full set = perfection (transparency, dead silence, unlimited dynamics, holography, realism of the timbres, tones, music).

:upside_down:

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #465 of 881
^Any pricing info to share?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back