High End Cables Thread (digital, analog, power)
Sep 10, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #436 of 881
Big +1 for Lumin. I had a U1 for almost two completely hassle-free years. Right now I am listening to my T2 while my Rossini is away for the Apex upgrade. Lumin is quality equipment.

Sep 11, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #437 of 881
you quoted a rather long and nuanced post about someone's audio journey and then responded "expensive does not equal best. grasp that." it appears to me that the person you're responding to is an intelligent and reasonable person who is not chasing luxury or frivolously spending money but rather has audio goals and has been trying to work towards them to the best of their knowledge. i guess. grasp that

Perhaps I could have phrased it differently; I didn't mean to come across so aggressive. It's just frustrating to watch people succumb to marketing. I accept it is their money to spend as they choose, but it's still annoying to watch.

Sep 11, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #438 of 881
I've been swapping back and forth the RCA interconnects, Sablon > Black Cat > inexpensive Audioquest >Stealth Metacarbon and there is zero doubt in my mind... cables absolutely do make an audible difference. Any novice or experienced listener can hear the differences. The differences are unquestionably audible, just as amp and DAC changes can be audible. Yes, there are times when amp/DAC/cable changes are subtle to detect or sometimes not possible, but then there are times when the differences are clear. I sincerely wish this was not the case as I have other hobbies to which I could allocate these funds. But, these are the facts.

The ASR army or hard line objectivists think I'm delusional. On the flip side I believe they are delusional and the "science" they believe in is fundamentally flawed. The measurements you worship tell us very little about sound and cannot come close to adequately describing or predicting all elements and aspects of sound. The measurements available barely scratch the surface. This is very much an incomplete science. When our measurement gear and knowledge are sufficiently adequate to describe and predict every single aspect of sound that humans can perceive with 100% accuracy, and then compare it to the original source file, then let's talk.

Edit: @George Hincapie, this is not intended as an attack on you... you are more measured and balanced than the vast majority of the hard line objectivists and you seem like a good guy, we just have different views. Plus I am a fan of George Hincapie the former bike racer!

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #441 of 881
I'm currently on vacation in my hometown, and is happened to get a chance to buy an Ansuz Mainz P powerkord cheaply.
I hooked it up to a Marantz HD DAC for a moment to compare with a cheap cable.
At the first tones I was confused, the cheap cable was "clearer", later I realized my mistake that "clearer" was actually just the volume of that tone on the cheap cable. As the music developed, I moved from disappointment to fascination with the Ansuz cable, the air around the instruments with clear, well-defined tones and the "appearance" of the stage!!! with depth, height and width, new happenings in it. On the cheap one, that part was stained with "joined" tones and the absence of a stage and secondary music in it, and I didn't even notice it, I just thought that Marantz was a cheap and weak device, but it made me happy with Ansuz.
Various garbage that reaches the system through bad cables largely hides the true potential of our equipment.
The fact that quality cables are a necessary basis in the system for every listener who wants to enjoy musical works .
Ansuz will replace the Gold Cable as the weakest cabel (even though it was the first power cable in my system that introduced me to the magic of power cables) when I return from vacation

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #442 of 881
A quick (and in retrospect, entirely obvious) thought on power cords.....

I was testing a few recently - the ones I had on test sounded much better than the (pretty decent) one I was using already......quite a bit so.

So, in a flash of inspiration, I gave the old one a good cleaning, removing all the crud from the plug......Obvious, but then the differences are far less noticeable. Still there, but more a comparison of minor nuances, rather than a slamming "all the new ones are better' vibe.

My learning from this - when comparing (any) cables - give your old connections a clean first, and remove all the crud & tarnish that's been cooking it's way on over time :D

(cleaning with 50/50 Isopropyl Alcohol and water, cotton bud, don't touch any plastic parts and use compressed air, or a hairdryer on low heat, to dry 'em off - works well, and non-abrasive). I shouldn't need to say this, but I will - Make sure the terminations are COMPLETELY DRY before you use them, and there is no residual IPA anywhere in the structure, or you'll be reviewing Fire Insurance, not HeadFi.....

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #443 of 881
Just swapped out the Sablon Evo (these are exceptional cables, really, really good) for the Stealth Indra interconnects.

Stealth-Indra.jpg

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #444 of 881
20220930_201331-01.jpeg

first time trying Shunyata cables. this is the Venom-X EF power cord, that comes in 1.75m standard length.

the US plug end fits snugly into my conditioners; no looseness or cord sag. the cord itself is very light and is very flexible, so very easy to route. the iec end is a slim body style and also fits snug and tight into my component sockets.

sound wise, this cord seems more forward with emphasis on the top end. it has a clear upper registry and vocals are brought up front and center. the low end is very tight and detailed but leaves me wanting for more in terms of rumble/heft.

in contrast, the Furutech dps 4.1 and AQ power cords have a fair bit more low end, but also do sound a bit bloomier and less controlled. top end is also less sharp/clear compared to the shunyata cord.

I'd not pair the shunyata with an overly neutral/detailed centric system. it does do well with my Primaluna tube pre, but I prefer my other cords with my nad m23 purifi amp. closest sound sig power cord I have to the shunyata is my WyWires platinum.

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #445 of 881
I emailed Puritan and they have a lot of Puritan PSM156s in stock. No idea why the local distributor requires a wait time.

Anyone tested Atlas Eos Superior/EOS 4DD?

Oct 3, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #446 of 881

first time trying Shunyata cables. this is the Venom-X EF power cord, that comes in 1.75m standard length.

the US plug end fits snugly into my conditioners; no looseness or cord sag. the cord itself is very light and is very flexible, so very easy to route. the iec end is a slim body style and also fits snug and tight into my component sockets.

sound wise, this cord seems more forward with emphasis on the top end. it has a clear upper registry and vocals are brought up front and center. the low end is very tight and detailed but leaves me wanting for more in terms of rumble/heft.

in contrast, the Furutech dps 4.1 and AQ power cords have a fair bit more low end, but also do sound a bit bloomier and less controlled. top end is also less sharp/clear compared to the shunyata cord.

I'd not pair the shunyata with an overly neutral/detailed centric system. it does do well with my Primaluna tube pre, but I prefer my other cords with my nad m23 purifi amp. closest sound sig power cord I have to the shunyata is my WyWires platinum.
I've been pretty committed to Shunyata cables in my system. I did find that the bottom end filled out as I went up the price ladder, really starting at the Alpha level. I really like the noise reduction effect they have, but have also found that other cables may have more color (for example the generally very overpriced but nice sounding and bass heavy Transparent Audio).

I do mostly solid state and it works well for a transparent, dynamic sound, and did use them with 23r for a time. But for some reason when I had the DCS Bartok the combo was brutally harsh.

Oct 3, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #447 of 881
I've been pretty committed to Shunyata cables in my system. I did find that the bottom end filled out as I went up the price ladder, really starting at the Alpha level. I really like the noise reduction effect they have, but have also found that other cables may have more color (for example the generally very overpriced but nice sounding and bass heavy Transparent Audio).

I do mostly solid state and it works well for a transparent, dynamic sound, and did use them with 23r for a time. But for some reason when I had the DCS Bartok the combo was brutally harsh.

I was hoping the bottom end would fill out with these cords. doesn't seem like it is happening though.

I'm probably going to switch back to my Furutech and AQ cords for the pre and power components. just wish those cords weren't so heavy, thick and stiff, and difficult to route.

Oct 3, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #448 of 881
I was hoping the bottom end would fill out with these cords. doesn't seem like it is happening though.

I'm probably going to switch back to my Furutech and AQ cords for the pre and power components. just wish those cords weren't so heavy, thick and stiff, and difficult to route.
They might not be the right fit. I have found that they often take a long time to settle in my system, but the bass doesn't change much.

Fwiw, I like the sound of the NR cables better than EF, just because they bring something unique. But they are even less flexible.

I'm kind of surprised the bass isn't really happening, but I haven't heard the new Venoms.

Oct 3, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #449 of 881
Anyone tested Atlas Eos Superior/EOS 4DD?

I have two of the atlas EOS 4dd and I find them really quite good for the price. balanced with slight tilt to mid/mid bass. didn't find anything remarkable about the highs or low end, but at the same time, not really anything to complain about either. the cord itself is just a bit stiff but workable.

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #450 of 881
Anyone tested Atlas Eos Superior/EOS 4DD
Have both in my system at the moment. Roasty pretty much nailed it for 4DD. Superior is completely different type. More open, very balanced all frequencies, timbre a bit lacking compared with best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back