High End Bluetooth Headphones
Jul 3, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #796 of 894
I look forward to your impressions of the jlab Epic BT.

Flossy Carter does great reviews on many products. I've seen that review and his recommendations on the 50 SMS Sync, Powerbeats Wireless and the HM LG Tones seem interesting. Have you tried any of these?

Also, I was recommended RHP EP-SB; heard of these?

Jul 3, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #797 of 894
Which 2 or 3 BT on ear and 2 or 3 IEMs are most recommended for sport and sweat resistant?

Definitely put Sony SBH80 on your shortlist.  Very good sound and ergonomics.  Also has AptX and NFC.  

A friend uses them with a new iPhone (i.e. no AptX) and according to him the sound easily surpasses the Plantronics Backbeat Go 2 the Sonys replaced.

They are described by Sony as 'splash resistant', but someone on hear has reported using them in the shower with no issues (YMMV).

Jul 4, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #798 of 894
Personally if I wanted bluetooth headphones for the gym I'd get these:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NWZWS613BLK-Bluetooth-Sports-Wearable/dp/B00N32I3FG/

I have the older non bluetooth 4GB model, and being able to listen to tunes whilst swimming under water is a life changing experience.
If you like swimming or swim and are into music (which I assume everyone here is) then I really recommend underwater headphones.

Sometimes I'd use them in the gym, keep them on in the changing rooms, in pre pool shower, swimming, post pool shower, and even on the way back.

As the new ones are bluetooth you can use them as normal bluetooth sports headphones with the phone in the gym, so that's even better. Then as a player in the pool. To be fair if your phone is waterproof and you maybe have a little bag for for it you could take your phone into the shower with you too and use them like that.

Don't think bluetooth works underwater doing to attenuation of the signal.

Old model sounded pretty decent, and good ergonomics.

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #799 of 894
Definitely put Sony SBH80 on your shortlist.  Very good sound and ergonomics.  Also has AptX and NFC.  
I was considering the SBH80 until a well known and respected reviewer recommended not to use for gym/sport.

A friend uses them with a new iPhone (i.e. no AptX) and according to him the sound easily surpasses the Plantronics Backbeat Go 2 the Sonys replaced.

They are described by Sony as 'splash resistant', but someone on hear has reported using them in the shower with no issues (YMMV).

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #801 of 894
The SBH80 is not a phone for gym/sport according to a respected reviewer.

That's not how Sony market it either, as it competes with several of their own models aimed specifically at sports users.  I haven't heard all of this year's updates but I would be surprised if they could compete with the SBH80 in SQ.

Moreover, since it's a splash-proof bluetooth IEM I don't see a compelling reason why it can't be used for that purpose?  The only potential issue I see with the design is it getting in the way of crunches, and even then they should stay in your ears.  My friend who's upgraded to these from the squarely aimed at gym use Plantronics Backbeat Go2's enjoys the Sony's much more in every way, and he mostly does cardio.

What is the reason why the respected reviewer didn't think SBH80 were great for sports?

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #803 of 894
Due to its form factor and not being sweat resistant.

My thoughts on the form factor are in the previous post.  As for not being sweat resistant, wouldn't splash resistance offer a higher grade of protection against moisture (including sweat) than sweat resistance?  I could be wrong of course.

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #805 of 894
Not sure if these are "high end" wnough for this thread, but does anyone have any opinion of the Harman Karndon Soho Wireless headphones? I have a pair of HK BTs and really, really like the sound (they're the best sounding of my collection of admittedly entry-level audiphile headphones) but they are big and heavy and require a non-standard charging plug. These Sohos are by all accounts very small, light, comfortable and charge via a standard micro-usb cable. 

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #806 of 894
Man, got my Sony MDR-1RBT MK2 set today, from a dealer in Japan (used). Awesome (and pristine). I've got DT-770s for home use, but these, using BT, are amazingly good sounding. Plenty of bass, and its nice and tight. Fiddling around with the EQ to optimise them for various music types.

Also amazingly good for podcasts.

I had a set of MEE Matrix2 for walkarounds before, but they snapped a couple of months out of warranty so decided to step up the mobile headset. Very glad I did.

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #807 of 894
I see you have the momentum 2.0 are they AE around ear? How do they compare to the mk2 you like so much?

Aug 9, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #808 of 894
Man, got my Sony MDR-1RBT MK2 set today, from a dealer in Japan (used). Awesome (and pristine). I've got DT-770s for home use, but these, using BT, are amazingly good sounding. Plenty of bass, and its nice and tight. Fiddling around with the EQ to optimise them for various music types.

Also amazingly good for podcasts.

I had a set of MEE Matrix2 for walkarounds before, but they snapped a couple of months out of warranty so decided to step up the mobile headset. Very glad I did.
do you have the link for the used Mk2's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back