High End Bluetooth Headphones
Feb 15, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #631 of 894
Hi all.

Directed here by @Yappadappadu, been chatting in the Momentum 2.0 and wireless thread.

I'm also looking for comfortable over ear ANC headphones. Less bothered by the bluetooth, but is nice.

I ended up ordering the new Sennheiser Wireless, and the Samsung Level Over.

@KBGolfRunner well the Level Over have more "hiss", I'd call it white noise, than the Sennheisers.

They can also make noises when connected with bluetooth. Like a clicking noise. I notice it when using an old bluetooth 2.0 dongle, but with my phone (note 3) it goes away after a couple of seconds.

The Sennheisers are lovely, but finding they hurt my right ear. Also wish they'd just make the ear cups a little larger. They're nice a lightweight though.

The Level Over are obviously less premium build (can be had for 200 EUR, £150 from amazon.de - how I got them). Noticeably heavier and more bulky. And wouldn't travel that well as don't fold flat etc. Not really a bother for me, but they are heavy. I was happy wearing them all day the other day, but right now finding them heavy on my head compared to the Sennheiser.
They do make your ears hotter too. However they fit my ears properly unlike the Sennheisers.

I couldn't really tell much of a difference between the Level Over and Sennheisers. Perhaps the Sennheiser are nicer.
I noticed snares maybe kicked harder? Does that make sense?

So I was going to keep one pair, but I'm finding it hard to decide because both are flawed for me. If the ear cups of the Sennheiser were larger I'd happily keep them, not minding paying double that of the Level Over (they're more portable, potentially sound better, more premium build, look nicer, lighter, replaceable parts etc.)

Now thinking I should return both. As really just want to be able to work all day with comfortable headphones on that can block PC noise etc.

Originally considered the Bose QC25 but I wasn't impressed by the build for the price - felt cheap and a bit flimsy. And they don't have an inbuilt battery, so for lots of use indoors I'd need to change the battery every few days, at least once a week or something. And they're wired. Also understand they don't sound great, although some say they sound good. Less of a concern over comfort for me to be honest.

What are the alternatives?
Already ruled out Zik's for lack of comfort, poor battery and the whole app/connectivity and lack of support issue I've read about.
Heard the back beat pro have poor Active Noise Cancellation, and are actually less comfortable than the Sennheiser as have round cups.

Anything else to consider?

Would like decent Active Noise Cancellation to be honest.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #632 of 894

Now thinking I should return both. As really just want to be able to work all day with comfortable headphones on that can block PC noise etc.

I'm curious as to why you need to wear them all day. I work in an office and fly globally, and prefer to take breaks regardless of the comfort level of the phones. Have you considered in-ear options?

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #633 of 894

I'm curious as to why you need to wear them all day. I work in an office and fly globally, and prefer to take breaks regardless of the comfort level of the phones. Have you considered in-ear options?

Laptop noise etc. Noise cancelling is a great way to block it out and concentrate. So I wear them with no music. Then play some tunes at various times while working etc.

Well I always wanted to get some nice over ears. And prefer the idea of over ears for long listening. Up until I got these I was always using in ears - but find them aggressive for long periods. Perhaps it's the audio technicas I've got, and perhaps I should try a smaller ear buds. But the idea of pumping sound directly into your ear canal for such long periods doesn't appeal to me.

Today at times I forgot I was wearing the Level Overs. You get used to the white noise of the ANC and it disappears (brain ignores it), and some tracks had really good sound stage so it felt like the music was coming from some metres away.

Good binuarial always does that, but I've found some tracks really create that effect too.
That's an advantage of over ears no?

I don't think having to have a break after an hour or two is acceptable for £300+ headphones, at least not for my use case. And it's because the ear cups are too small for me. If they were larger it wouldn't be an issue. So it's not to be expected/accepted to me if that makes sense.

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #635 of 894
There's some seemingly good news on Amazon for those of us in the US waiting for the MDR-1ABT to be released. They just posted a listing for the MDR-1ABT/S, the silver variant. It's listed as "Usually ships within 2 to 4 weeks," and priced at $399.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR1ABT-Hi-Res-Bluetooth-headphones/dp/B00TIAYQEY/

This comes just days after the Sony Europe press release announcing a European release date in May.

http://presscentre.sony.eu/pressreleases/easy-listening-it-s-all-yours-with-four-new-bluetooth-r-headphones-from-sony-1120308

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #637 of 894

The Zik 2.0k have a 192hz processor (or something) compared to the original Zik's 44hz (CD) (or something like this), and this allows them to get away without APT-X.  APT-X is only really needed, IMO, if you are using it to watch TV.

You definitely have an apples and oranges thing going on there.  The 192khz is the sampling rate of the internal DAC, not the transmission bitrate, so definitely NOT a replacement for AptX.  

I'm not a mechanic, but for the purposes of wirelessly transmitting uncompressed CD-quality sources, it's a bit like saying that your car has an advanced carburettor and, therefore, can get away with not having a fuel injection system.  

Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 also have a 24bit/192khz capable DAC.  This does not prevent it from having AptX.  I suspect Parrot did not want to pay for AptX licencing, which is a bit stingy of them, considering how much they are charging for their headphones.  Sony came up with it's own lossless codec (LDAC) in this year's models, but still includes AptX.

I am also very puzzled (and intrigued) by your statement that the Ziks only need Aptx for TV audio.

Moreover, there are no wireless headphones - Bluetooth, KLEER or other - in existence today (with the exception of maybe a prototype somewhere in a lab, probably streaming directly over wi-fi) that can receive a 24bit/192khz audio stream.  I don't think there are any compatible sources either.  So I am struggling to see how the Hi-Res capability of the Zik's DAC would actually get used other than by the internal DSP when adding room reverbs and EQ through the companion app.  If this is the case, then Zik 2.0's alleged Hi-Res audio capability is nothing but a shameless marketing hoax. 

For instance, the Sony's internal DAC is engaged by connecting them via a USB cable to a hi-res capable source, but having skimmed through Zik 2.0's specs I haven't found them having the same capability.  I could be missing something of course.

My point is this, many people don't care about uncompressed FLACs and even less so about Hi-Res audio, and that's fine, but I am yet to see any evidence that Zik 2.0 can do either.

Parrot claims that these are "the world's most advanced headphones".  I think this is very a ambitious claim at best.  The most gimmicky headphones?  Perhaps.

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #638 of 894
For anyone who is looking really high end for bluetooth headphones theres a good review on Bloomberg. It's a good read. Already found my next target from the review.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-27/review-the-top-5-wireless-noise-canceling-headphones

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #639 of 894
  For anyone who is looking really high end for bluetooth headphones theres a good review on Bloomberg. It's a good read. Already found my next target from the review.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-27/review-the-top-5-wireless-noise-canceling-headphones

Hmmm, nice, but too minimalistic. He could have given many more info. Specially about the sound.
For example, it is interesting to know that the Sennheiser do not artificially boost the bass, but it would be much better to know if when more bass is needed they are able to boost it with an EQ (some headphones just cannot, no matter how much you EQ them, and those are for me a lost of money, unless people who buy them are sure that they will never need more bass).

I tend to prefer a bit boost in the bass if well done (like the Fidelio m2BT. Definitely NOT like that crappy thing called Beats Studio Wireless). So I wonder now how those H8 really sound.
In the while I have found a really amazing pair of BT Headphones which I now like more than the Fidelio (which I have just sent back). Almost nobody know them, because they are actually only sold in Japan (and it was difficult and expensive to get them): the Audio Technica ATH-WS99BT.
Although they do not have the deep rumble of the Fidelio, they are better in all the rest. The detail is impressive, the presence, the clarity. The soundstage is also very good, although not to the point of feeling to be in the middle of a concert hall. But switching between them and the Fidelio was a nice experience. They just sound much more alive, and give back sounds which the fidelio had put so much in background that I had never noticed them.
The Bass is very powerful. As said, on the very low frequencies it does not, unfortunately, have that deep and clean rumble of the Fidelio. But for all the rest it is much more powerful than the Fidelio. So, it depends on the music. On a 10% of music I will miss the Fidelio. but on a 90%, I am so happy to have th Audio Technica now.
The only negative aspect is some excess between 300 and 1000hz. I have decreased those frequencies with the EQ and now all sounds much more natural.
My aim till now was to find a pair of very good overall sounding Headphones, capable of a truly amazing, powerful bass, when needed, but which do not boost bass all the time. Something which I can boost myself with an eq when I want. Something with potential.
The ATH-WS99BT are till now the best which I have found. All the others were not able to reach this level of bass power while still delivering such an amazing overall quality.
The Plantronics Backbeat Pro have a very nice bass, but not so powerful as the AT.

Now I am curious about the H8. And about the Sennheiser Momentum On Ear (the Over ear are too big and expensive to me).

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #640 of 894

Now I am curious about the H8. And about the Sennheiser Momentum On Ear (the Over ear are too big and expensive to me).

I've tried both so I'll comment on each. I found the Senn M2 to push the mids with not enough balance on either end of the spectrum. I guess some may argue that they produce a "truer" sound, but it's not the sound I prefer. The bass is punchy but not broad, lacking a sense of fullness on the low end. The high-end seems rather dull to me, or maybe the upper mids overcompensate somewhat, not quite sure. Although ANC and overall design of the M2 are very good, I sent them back based on my preference for sound quality.

The Beoplay H8 has a very balanced sound to my ears. It has a broader response on the lower end, and highs peak at the right level so as not to sound too bright or harsh. The mids fill in nicely providing a sense of warmth. As on-the-ear phones, the soundstage seems a little tight at times, but not really noticeable when on the go. Surprisingly, the ANC is quite good, and on par with most over-ear phones, except for maybe the Bose. The design and fit of the H8 make it optimal for traveling, and thus, it will function as my air travel companion.

I have to also mention the Plantronics Backbeat Pro, as it may have the widest soundstage of the three. The low end is full, yet bass remains nicely isolated. The high end is brighter than either the M2 and H8, and may peak a bit too much at times. Mid-range is very well balanced against both ends providing a sense of space that enables instruments to be easily located. The big negative of these phones is the clunky design which make them less than optimal for travel. However, decent ANC and excellent BT range make them keeps for around the house.

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #641 of 894
Feb 28, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #642 of 894
Here is the deal with the Parrot Zik 2.0
If what you are looking for is sound quality and YOU ARE USING AN APPLE DEVICE, this is the best out there.
Yes, the battery life sucks and yes, if you have a big head these might not be for you, too many glitches you say, YES! However they have the best bluetooth sound I have heard. I have had 1rBT and the MK2's which I sold in the forum, also I had the Phiaton Chord, the new Bose and the AKG's.

You have to put in perspective the conditions you are surrounded with when you are listening to BT cans, I only use them for airplane or train travel, and I do that a lot! This means constant and annoying atmospheric noise. I dont use them for critical listening, for that I have my STAX and for calm lonely portable moments my CIEMS. No BT headphone I have heard comes close to my reference systems.
The Zik's perform amazingly well in the conditions I use them, their noise cancelling is superior to that of Bose, especially with human voices and as I said before, the sound is way better, albeit it needs to be equalized with the app. Why is this? You may be asking, it does not support APTX!!! Well, this is where you are a bit wrong.

Bluetooth supports other codecs, including the AAC (apple) codec to transmit lossless high resolution files, yes, thats right. And guess what, the Parrots use this codec and my 128gb iphone uses AAC to transmit over bluetooth, which in fact it is a bit better codec than APTX, especially when your files are AAC encoded. You can read more about bluetooth codecs here.

So, if you are going to be using your iphone and your files are in AAC, well, this is the best sound that you can get out of BT so far. Of course, you have to be able to put up with all the annoying quirks of the Parrot... I do, all for better sound!

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #643 of 894

I've tried both so I'll comment on each. I found the Senn M2 to push the mids with not enough balance on either end of the spectrum. I guess some may argue that they produce a "truer" sound, but it's not the sound I prefer. The bass is punchy but not broad, lacking a sense of fullness on the low end. The high-end seems rather dull to me, or maybe the upper mids overcompensate somewhat, not quite sure. Although ANC and overall design of the M2 are very good, I sent them back based on my preference for sound quality.

The Beoplay H8 has a very balanced sound to my ears. It has a broader response on the lower end, and highs peak at the right level so as not to sound too bright or harsh. The mids fill in nicely providing a sense of warmth. As on-the-ear phones, the soundstage seems a little tight at times, but not really noticeable when on the go. Surprisingly, the ANC is quite good, and on par with most over-ear phones, except for maybe the Bose. The design and fit of the H8 make it optimal for traveling, and thus, it will function as my air travel companion.

I have to also mention the Plantronics Backbeat Pro, as it may have the widest soundstage of the three. The low end is full, yet bass remains nicely isolated. The high end is brighter than either the M2 and H8, and may peak a bit too much at times. Mid-range is very well balanced against both ends providing a sense of space that enables instruments to be easily located. The big negative of these phones is the clunky design which make them less than optimal for travel. However, decent ANC and excellent BT range make them keeps for around the house.

You have described the Plantronics very well. I liked them a lot, this is not a secret in this Forum.
Could you compare their bass with the H8?
The H8 are way too expensive for me right now. But if their bass is better than the Plantronics (especially the Sub Bass, which is what made me prefer the Fidelio M2BT), I could give them a try in the future.
Which M2 did you try? I still do not understand if with M2 people mean generally the new Momentum, or only the Over Ear. And I have read a preview from CES2015 stating that the On Ear has a better bass. But the wired version did not impress me. Although the rest of the sound seemed quite good to my ears.

Here is the deal with the Parrot Zik 2.0
If what you are looking for is sound quality and YOU ARE USING AN APPLE DEVICE, this is the best out there.
Yes, the battery life sucks and yes, if you have a big head these might not be for you, too many glitches you say, YES! However they have the best bluetooth sound I have heard. I have had 1rBT and the MK2's which I sold in the forum, also I had the Phiaton Chord, the new Bose and the AKG's.

You have to put in perspective the conditions you are surrounded with when you are listening to BT cans, I only use them for airplane or train travel, and I do that a lot! This means constant and annoying atmospheric noise. I dont use them for critical listening, for that I have my STAX and for calm lonely portable moments my CIEMS. No BT headphone I have heard comes close to my reference systems.
The Zik's perform amazingly well in the conditions I use them, their noise cancelling is superior to that of Bose, especially with human voices and as I said before, the sound is way better, albeit it needs to be equalized with the app. Why is this? You may be asking, it does not support APTX!!! Well, this is where you are a bit wrong.

Bluetooth supports other codecs, including the AAC (apple) codec to transmit lossless high resolution files, yes, thats right. And guess what, the Parrots use this codec and my 128gb iphone uses AAC to transmit over bluetooth, which in fact it is a bit better codec than APTX, especially when your files are AAC encoded. You can read more about bluetooth codecs here.

So, if you are going to be using your iphone and your files are in AAC, well, this is the best sound that you can get out of BT so far. Of course, you have to be able to put up with all the annoying quirks of the Parrot... I do, all for better sound!

In my thread "Huge Comparison of [almost] all the best Bluetooth Headphones" a guy just posted a very interesting comparison between the two Zik, old and new one, and another In-Ear as third one.
Tell me something, how does it work with the AAC thing? Does the iPhone ALWAYS stream in AAC, or only when you play AAC files?
Aptx is cool because it works with any file (even if some people claim that it works better on high quality files).
Maybe you could come to my thread and post a comparison between those BT Headphones you have tried. We miss more people posting their comparisons :wink:
It is a bit confusing that there are these two threads, but I think it is cool that one is for general talking and another is for comparisons.

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #644 of 894
Originally Posted by Giogio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You have described the Plantronics very well. I liked them a lot, this is not a secret in this Forum.
Could you compare their bass with the H8?
The H8 are way too expensive for me right now. But if their bass is better than the Plantronics (especially the Sub Bass, which is what made me prefer the Fidelio M2BT), I could give them a try in the future.
Which M2 did you try? I still do not understand if with M2 people mean generally the new Momentum, or only the Over Ear. And I have read a preview from CES2015 stating that the On Ear has a better bass. But the wired version did not impress me. Although the rest of the sound seemed quite good to my ears.

Ok, this is tough but I'll give it my best shot. I used "YYZ" from Rush as a test since there are no vocals and the album, as a whole, has great instrumental separation. The BB Pro seem to do a better job of isolating Geddy's bass, and as best I can tell, this is because of a higher peak at the upper low range. The bass and kick just seem a little brighter and punchier with the BB Pro, whereas, with the H8, the lows are a bit deeper and broader. To me, the BB Pro just does a great job isolating instruments, albeit, in a bit "synthetic" or manipulative way I suppose.

The Sennheisers I tested were the new M2 wireless over-ear. I have not seen the on-ear version released yet, but a better bass response on these would be of interest. From what I've read, the new Momentums have a similar sound spectrum as the originals. I actually found the M2 to be acceptable for electronic and classical music, but not so much for rock, where the the mids overshadowed everything else. To me, they sounded a bit too compact at times. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #645 of 894

Hmmm, nice, but too minimalistic. He could have given many more info. Specially about the sound.
For example, it is interesting to know that the Sennheiser do not artificially boost the bass, but it would be much better to know if when more bass is needed they are able to boost it with an EQ (some headphones just cannot, no matter how much you EQ them, and those are for me a lost of money, unless people who buy them are sure that they will never need more bass).

Yes the review was very brief but I suppose since he was comparing 5 different sets, he didn't have the space to write a lot. It would be good if he would provide a detailed review of each pair later including information he didn't put in the comparison. I'm sure he would have enough information and he seems to know his stuff. I'm guessing EQ will work fine on the Momentum Wireless. It worked fine for the original Momentum and this new model doesn't seem to have changed that much. Any reason you aren't interested in the Definitive Technology pair? Is it price and size? That is the pair I'm most keen to listen to from the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back