High End Bluetooth Headphones
Dec 5, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #496 of 894
I now have the iPad.  Am still thinking about which Bluetooth headphones, if any.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #497 of 894
I just picked up a set of the Beats PowerBeats 2 this past week, found them on sale for a pretty good deal so figured I would give them a shot since I washed my nuforce IEM's I use for the gym.

Well I was skeptic going to Beats, but these have a really good sound signature. Only about 10 hours on them so far but they are fun kind of like my old W3's. Bluetooth works great and they connect easy, the battery is only 5 hours, but I normally only listen a couple hours at a time anyways so a charge for about an hour that night gets them ready for the next day.

The mids are really good, treble was a little sibilant at first but my ears have adjusted or they burned in some cause I don't notice it anymore. The bass and sound stage for me is where these shine, but not the normal muddy boom boom bass from beats that I have experienced. It is very controlled and quick but still extends really well. I really have been enjoying these quite a lot and am more then happy with the purchase, plus the no cord while at the gym is just awesome. Not the best at reviewing, but if you need some Bluetooth IEM's for gym or just around town with good clear calls these are a good option I would say.

in the end these really surprised me with their sound, clear great soundstage, and all around pleasant sound. They don't quite have the detail my custom Mages have, but the "fun" factor has me grabbing for these quite a bit.

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #498 of 894
What are some of the Standard Go-To's for bluetooth headphones? I like an all around balanced sound, don'd mind a little variety though if the price is right or the build quality is good. Thinking about something ~100 dollars but anything that is a high price/performance is great for me.

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #499 of 894

Correct, none of the IOS devices support AptX. That and the reason that I cannot stand Itunes is why I moved back to Android. I have the Plantronics Backbeat Pro coming tomorrow, that supports APT X, 100M(300 ft) distance with Bluetooth 4.0 devices, 24 hours battery life(60 when ANC is turned off) etc.

Hi, any impressions? What is the sound quality? How much sound do these leak? I want to buy these headpones but they have bluetooth class 1 transmitter which can transmit 40 times more radiation than bluetooth class 2 transmitter (smartphones emit similar radiation level) so this can be dangerous (brain cancer etc....). :/ Currently I have Sony 10RBT but I want clearer sound. I am also considering Sennheiser Momentum. Sound quality is amazing probably, but they are not wireless... :/

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #500 of 894
What are some of the Standard Go-To's for bluetooth headphones? I like an all around balanced sound, don'd mind a little variety though if the price is right or the build quality is good. Thinking about something ~100 dollars but anything that is a high price/performance is great for me.

I want more impressions too. There is a flood of BT over-ear cans out there but every audio-related site seem to have their own favorite. There doesn't seem to be a real consensus top choice at the moment perhaps because the tech is still relatively new and also rapidly advancing. You know the playing field is leveled when Beats is considered a top choice.

I just bought a pair of Matrix2 AF62's for about $80 based on Tyll's recommendation. I mainly use them for around the house as they are a bit ugly looking on larger heads like mine. I'm currently in the market for a set that doesn't stick out too much in public. The best looking sets appear to be in my eye the Parrot Zik 2, Philips M2BT and, honestly, the Beats Studio 2 Wireless. But all are pricey and out of my range. I'm sticking with wired cans for outside portable use for now.

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #501 of 894
I want more impressions too. There is a flood of BT over-ear cans out there but every audio-related site seem to have their own favorite. There doesn't seem to be a real consensus top choice at the moment perhaps because the tech is still relatively new and also rapidly advancing. You know the playing field is leveled when Beats is considered a top choice.

I just bought a pair of Matrix2 AF62's for about $80 based on Tyll's recommendation. I mainly use them for around the house as they are a bit ugly looking on larger heads like mine. I'm currently in the market for a set that doesn't stick out too much in public. The best looking sets appear to be in my eye the Parrot Zik 2, Philips M2BT and, honestly, the Beats Studio 2 Wireless. But all are pricey and out of my range. I'm sticking with wired cans for outside portable use for now.

I was eyeing the AF62's, how do they sound to you?

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #503 of 894
Tyll's BT roundup. Score 1 for the Zik 2's. And scratch off the Beats Studio from my wishlist (though I'll probably end up auditioning them at a store anyway).

Looking at the AF62 frequency chart, they do look somewhat similar to the V6 but with rolled off treble. I see that as a plus.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #506 of 894

Hi, any impressions? What is the sound quality? How much sound do these leak? I want to buy these headpones but they have bluetooth class 1 transmitter which can transmit 40 times more radiation than bluetooth class 2 transmitter (smartphones emit similar radiation level) so this can be dangerous (brain cancer etc....). :/ Currently I have Sony 10RBT but I want clearer sound. I am also considering Sennheiser Momentum. Sound quality is amazing probably, but they are not wireless... :/

I have listened to them for a couple of days so far. The sound is great, their is mid-bass and the bass is ample in the mix but not overpowering. I have tried them with both ANC off and on and cannot really discern the quality being affected with it on, but may be I am not as much an audiophile as some here on head-fi. The ANC is really decent and totally cuts out the drone from my server room(I am the computer tech here and my office is right next to it).  I have not noticed noise leakage, although I do not crank them as high as some might because I do not want to suffer from Tinnitus. They are very comfortable and the headphones totally cover my ears although my ears are not like Prince Charles so ymmv: ) I really like that they stop playing when you take them off or have them resting around your neck. I also like the ability to press a button so I can still have them on but carry on a conversation with someone if I wanted with the ANC on.

Now compared to the AF62's, the other bluetooth headphones I have, these are light years ahead in sound quality and passive\ANC isolation. The AF62's are more for the gym(at least for me, but they are annoying because of their lack of passive noise isolation), while the Backbeat Pro's are larger, their improved sound quality and better battery life make them my choice for a daily driver. I am using these with my LG G3 which utilizes APT X and listen mostly to FLAC. Compared to my wired headphones like my Senns Amperiors, AKG k280 Parabolics, UE 6000's and AT M50's these compare favorably. I have have not listened to the Backbeat Pro's wired, but imagine that they would still sound good after having read tons of reviews mentioning that.

On the brain cancer thing, I do not listen to these 24/7, maybe 2-3 hours a day and not straight time, so I think I will be ok.

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #507 of 894
Awesome info in this thread guys.

Looking for a pair of on / over ear BT Headphones sub £100 / $200 for general use including some gym work. Think I've narrowed it down to either the AF62 Matrix 2, or the Jabra Revo Wireless. I haven't totally ruled out IEM and I see the Jaybird Bluebuds have good revoews but put off by the lower battery life.

Can anybody give me some direction between the two above?

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #508 of 894
Tyll is comparing the new Zik 2.0 with the 'old' superseded Sony R1BT, and not the new MK2 model, so it's not a fair comparison.  He's actually conceded this point in the comments below the post, although he went ahead and taken the Sony off his BT Wall of Fame.

I haven't heard the new Zik, but it's hard to imagine that they wouldn't fail a FLAC comparison test against the Sony MK2, considering that the former (amazingly!) does not have AptX.

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #509 of 894
Have you tried Sony xb950bt, mk1bt mk2 or Plantronics Backbeat Pro? Which of these headphones would you choose? Plantronics has the best functionality but is sound also the best?

Weird question cause I have all three of these headphones haha. Out the box the Plantronics and mk2 sound the best. For in ear earphones then Plantronics sound great. With an EQ they are even better. Mk2 sound the best from all three but the 950bt is fun. With an EQ you can make the sound alot better in the 950bt with bass button off. Then crank up the bass with button on. If price is an issue then the backbeats for $60 is great choice. If you can crank out $150 then do the 950bt. After a long burn in time they will sound better and with eq you can enjoy all genres. Mk2 is my after work at home listen to rock, jazz headset. Maybe not the best choice if you listen to hip hop or edm. You will maybe want more bass. Mk2 sound quality is the best from all 3. Nice bass but I myself growing up as a hip hop junkie need more bass hip hop. Excellent for listen to music at low levels, you will hear everything.

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #510 of 894
For in ear earphones then Plantronics sound great.<deleted> If price is an issue then the backbeats for $60 is great choice.

You could possibly be talking about Plantronics Backbeat Pro.  They are over hear and cost *significantly* more than $60.  If I could make a guess, I would say you have Plantronics Backbeat Go2.

Having said that, I would be very interested in a comparison between the Sony R1BTMK2 and the Backbeat Pro if someone has heard both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back