High end Bakoon headphone amp Japan version discussion thread and Impression Thread
Sep 17, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #106 of 197
Here we go: Bakoon PRE-7610 MK3

Basically this one is a pre-amp for home audio buat also come with headphone output. The HO is definitely a step up in quality compare to SCA-7511 MK3 or HDA-5210 MK3, though power wise that HDA is still the most powerful.

Sound character wise the PRE model is more similiar to SCA rather than HDA, though the PRE model is more refine, more liquid, has smoother and more full body sound than SCA model.

Thank you Nico For Sharing Bakoon New pre amp product

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #107 of 197
More information about New pre amp and Power amp from Bakoon Japan
Bakoon Japan launching Two New Amps :
Pre amp :pRE-7610 MK3 ·
Power Amp : SCA-7511 MK3

Please read This Link For more information :

http://translate.google.co.id/translate?hl=en&sl=ko&u=http://www.audioht.co.kr/atl/view.asp%3Fa_id%3D3719&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbakoon%2B7610%2Bmk%2B3%26client%3Dsafari%26hl%3Den

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #108 of 197
Here's a link to the pre-amp on ebay.  Thanks for sharing your views and info on the sound   
biggrin.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bakoon-Products-SATRI-Compact-Pre-Amplifier-PRE-7610MK3-/200951443490?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2ec9a3b022

HS

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #109 of 197
  Just received the HDA-5210mk3 with Satri-UL modules (different from those of the base model and Korean HPA-21) and WW attenuator. It's a stepped attenuator.
This is the fully upgraded model of the amp and is pretty pricey. about 2300€ without import, 2800€ imported.
I posted about the different models earlier in this thread in case anyone wonders.

It feels very lightweight but the finish looks quite nice I must say, the glossy front matches well with the Fostec HP-A8.

No sound impressions yet, I'll need some time to have a good listen to it.
All I can say so far is that's damn powerful! I wonder if there's a pair of phones around that it couldn't drive. Man this thing can go loud!

Any update? How does the Bakoon compare to the amp section of the Fostex HPA8C?
Also what is the WW (worldwide?) attenuator exactly? An attenuator for the power input, or does it control the output volume?
And is it an internal component/feature, or an external device?

Looking forward to your response.

Sep 18, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #110 of 197

Any update? How does the Bakoon compare to the amp section of the Fostex HPA8C?
Also what is the WW (worldwide?) attenuator exactly? An attenuator for the power input, or does it control the output volume?
And is it an internal component/feature, or an external device?

Looking forward to your response.

No real updates yet, haven't had the time to do any serious listening lately, just listening a bit late at night while working at home.

However, you can't compare this amp to the built-in amp section of a Dac, even if it's as good as the HP-A8.
That would be like comparing a separate pre/power amp to a modern day receiver.

On the eBay site the attenuator (volume control) is called WR which stands for winged resistance (according to the site), whatever that may be. On the back of my amp it says WW however so I guess that it's the right abbreviation but have no idea what it stands for. It's a stepped attenuator. And yes, that is the volume control and has nothing to do with worldwide voltage.

You choose the volatge for your country when you make the order. It's available for any country worldwide.

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #112 of 197
  WW volume control means stepped attenuator, which is around USD 600-800 more expensive than the regular one. It's easy to pick the improvement in sound quality compare to regular potensio. 

Do you have an idea what the WW abbreviation stands for?

WW is the label on the back of the amp but on the site he calls it WR and refers to it as winging resistance. Probably a typo. I must say the manual is very liberally translated from japanese as well.  :wink:

The label WW does indicate the volume pot. There's another label called UL indicating the version of the Satri boards.

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #113 of 197
  WW volume control means stepped attenuator, which is around USD 600-800 more expensive than the regular one. It's easy to pick the improvement in sound quality compare to regular potensio. 

So WW ("Winging Resistance ATT") means a stepped volume control, and the "Metal Film Resistance ATT" is a stepped volume control as well, whereas the "Variable Resistance(Standard)" is a non-stepped/continuous volume control, right? (using the terminology from the ebay listing)

Also, given the reports that this amp is very powerfull, and most users have the volume control set very low - isn't the use of a stepped volume control problematic in the sense that you'd sometimes want a volume that is "in between" positions?

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #114 of 197

So WW ("Winging Resistance ATT") means a stepped volume control, and the "Metal Film Resistance ATT" is a stepped volume control as well, whereas the "Variable Resistance(Standard)" is a non-stepped/continuous volume control, right? (using the terminology from the ebay listing)

Also, given the reports that this amp is very powerfull, and most users have the volume control set very low - isn't the use of a stepped volume control problematic in the sense that you'd sometimes want a volume that is "in between" positions?

As I understood it the metal film one isn't stepped.

I don't have problems with the low setting due to it being stepped. You could look at it otherwise as well: at low settings non-stepped volume controls can give channel imbalance ...

Generally stepped volume controls are more expensive and don't have channel imbalance.
Some people prefer stepped, others variable volume controls.

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #115 of 197

"I don't have problems with the low setting due to it being stepped."

Do you know how many steps the stepped the volume control has, and between which steps you normally have the control when using a sensitive headphone like the Fostex TH900? (Just to get a sense how powerfull the amp is, and how much "room" a user has to play around with when using the amp)

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #116 of 197
22 steps and I never go above 9 with the TH-900, and that's damn loud. With the HD-650 I can go higher but don't remember how much.
Although the amp is a magnificent match sonically for the TH-900, due to it's power I think it would be ideal for difficult to drive cans like orthos, AKGs and a HD800 for example.

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #117 of 197
Thanks AppleHeadMay let me know this thread, I can finally ask relevant questions then. :)

Does anyone know what's the differences between these 3 resistance volume control? Does the standard one are far not as good as the Winging version?

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #118 of 197
As I remember that Pat from War Audio recommended me to get either the variable resistance or Winging resistance. He said the metal film are slightly more noise than the standard and the Winging.

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #119 of 197
Allright, in the little time I had I did some casual listening with the TH-900.

First of all, this is a marvelous amp, true high end stuff.
It matches the TH-900 very well sonically, enhances its strong features and makes the mids fuller, which is what the TH-900 needs.
I'd describe the sound as full-bodied.
That would mean the amp is not analytical at all, rather slightly euphonic, slightly warm with a strong presence all across the spectrum. It's really involving. Extended but well controlled lows and highs but not polite like a Luxman, compared to this a Luxman is pretty dull.
This thing has muscles and it likes to show them off.
Only one amp of all the high end amps I owned in my profile managed to amaze me like this one: the Zana Deux.

On the other hand, as I said many times before in this thread and the Korean Bakoon thread this amp is God damn powerful.
Therefore I'm not going to recommend it to people who listen to the TH-900 and other easy to drive cans.
This is an amp to use with hard to drive Audezes, Hifiman, HE600, AKG K701, HD800 and the likes, I even bet it won't break sweat with a K1000.

Which is also the reason I'm going to sell it. All cans I like are sensitve, low impedance, easy to drive  closed dynamics. 
This is the top version of the amp with all factory options maxed out so I guess it will go to someone with a HD8000, HE600, LCD3, LCDX, K1000 or someone who really loves his K701/801.

Will put it up for sale in one of the next weekends if I got the time.

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #120 of 197
So, in the first part of your post it sounds as if the bakoon is near perfect for the TH900, but in the next section you say it is too powerful, and in the next your conclusion is to sell it. I don't get the reason why you're selling it, other than it's too powerful (!?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back