high capacity alternative to 160gb IPOD classic?
Jun 12, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #16 of 33
The problem with pausing in the middle of songs must be a problem with the 160GB model only, my 80GB model hasn't had any problems at all. All works flawless.

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #17 of 33
I find a pasue happens if you switch to a very different track that the iPod isn't expecting, so can't cache it. Thats my guess at least. I'm not too bothered about the pausing myself. But the scroll drives me nuts.

But 160GB is so neat.

Jun 12, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 160gb classic loaded with lossless files (120gb so far) played through the LOD to a predator. I have had NONE of these problems. No pausing either before or during a song, no delay with the touch wheel. I realize there are a lot of apple bashers in general but for me the itune interface with the classic is the easiest and best I have seen. I use my TF10s mainly and listened to a large variety of music, rock, jazz, vocals, trance, electronic, world and altering equalizer settings for each type would be a pain. I have found that on earlier Ipod versions, these glitches happened after I had to replace my ipod with a refurbished version due to some other problem. This could be as much a hard disk issue too.

are you certain your Ipod is up to date with the latest software,because apparently the bug is embedded in the most recent ipod update.I didnt have the pause problems either until i updated my ipod,then it all went downhill fast .If infact you have not updated automatically, then i would strongly suggest that you dont,i am almost certain you will face theses problems if you do.

BTW:if you do a google search of "ipod classic pause problems" you will see droves of pissed off classic users with the same problem.This is by no means a small isolated problem.

Jun 12, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaMavs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a firmware bug in the classic where it will pause on rare occasions during playback for a second or two. Quite annoying and really takes you out of the music, but...it does happen very rarely at least.

Not sure when mine last "paused" briefly, but I'd guess it happens only every 50 to 100 songs on average. I haven't figured out what triggers it at all, but do hope it's fixed in the next firmware update. At the moment, the pause is my only real complaint about my Classic...

mine seems to pause alot more than that.to make it worse,it does not resume playback after a few seconds like some of you have stated.At times it will pause 4 or 5 times in a minute then go away for a song or two,then come come back full force again!!!very annoying.
mad.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #20 of 33
what are even the odds that they will fix that glitch? I still have songs that my 2g nano freezes on a good way into them for no explainable reason, it always freezes on the same spot for each specific song and that glitch assuming it even is counted by apple as one was never fixed before the new model came out and once a new model is out they stop all support for the old model, at least in firmware or that is how it seems anyway. Looks like the iPod 160 GB has a few months left for a firmware update or it will be left permanently that way.

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben7337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are even the odds that they will fix that glitch? I still have songs that my 2g nano freezes on a good way into them for no explainable reason, it always freezes on the same spot for each specific song and that glitch assuming it even is counted by apple as one was never fixed before the new model came out and once a new model is out they stop all support for the old model, at least in firmware or that is how it seems anyway. Looks like the iPod 160 GB has a few months left for a firmware update or it will be left permanently that way.

You sure its not the song thats glitched?

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by sizwej /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you certain your Ipod is up to date with the latest software,...

BTW:if you do a google search of "ipod classic pause problems" you will see droves of pissed off classic users with the same problem.This is by no means a small isolated problem.

I have the most up to date software and still no problem, but maybe this has to do with having lossless files too, I am not sure. Regarding pausing by other people I can't comment on it but obviously it is not isolated.

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #23 of 33
this sucks.Lets hope the update to fix all this comes sooner rather than later.The funny thing is, i remember reading somewhere on headfi that apple may release another "flagship" classic with more capacity sometime towards the end of the year.I can't verify if its true or not,does anyone know about this?

Feb 15, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #24 of 33
To be honest, I have been happy with my replacement 160gb Classic in so far as it's performance - until I reloaded it recently having completed a thorough completion of my album artwork. Prior to that I had over 41,700 tracks and much of the artwork and everything was fine, now I have had to reduce the number of tracks by a few hundred and still having to restore and reload with slightly less as the player is constantly freezing up whilst playing a track and then jumping about 9 tracks when it finally does wake up.
I get fed up of reading people whinging about 160gb being "too much" as I find it too little - I spend days unticking tracks and agonising over what to leave off as these 160gb player are in fact less than 149gb. I wish they'd just bring a bigger capacuty machine out for music lovers and leave everybody to fart around with their gadgets!

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #25 of 33
The new archos 5 w/ andriod might be worth a look.

ARCHOS

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #26 of 33
I loaded up my 160gb with lossless files, and it paused A LOT because the buffer is only 32mb, so most lossless songs go over that 32gb threshold and need to rebuffer. I just loaded my 160gb with pretty much my entire music collection (which is awesome) but the songs do tend to have silent pauses in the middle of the song more often than even 50-100 songs, like every 10 songs or so. I don't know if its because most of my music is v0 mp3 and 320 mp3, but its quite annoying. Is it possible that playing the music through the LOD would somehow bypass this??? (I can't imagine it would bypass the buffer, but almost every song had buffer problems for me when I played a lot of lossless). AND WHEN IS THAT PROMISED FIRMWARE UPDATE DUE?!? We've been waiting apple!

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #27 of 33
I'll get hesitation/slowness during scrolling but I have never experienced any problems with pausing during playback. Then again I have a 2009 Classic and this thread is from 2008 so that could be the reason

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #28 of 33
I have the first 160 version and do not have problems with the issues you mentioned.
Like the sound, interface and looks of the player.
GEO

Apr 26, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #30 of 33
Possible with the Toshiba Mk1634gal if you can find it. A couple of months back there were quite a few from a couple of sellers in Hong Kong, but that has dried up. Great thing about the 1634 is that it is a 5mm thick drive so it will fit in the 30gb housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back