high capacity alternative to 160gb IPOD classic?
Jun 11, 2008 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

sizwej

100+ Head-Fier
does anyone know if there is an alternative to the 160gb ipod classic?I'm totally fed up with mine and all the glitches (random pausing,slow scrolling etc).is there anything available that can offer me the same capacity without breaking the bank ($500 max).my only requirement is that it would have to be reasonably small,i dont want to feel like i'm carrying around a mini laptop.Any help would be appreciated.

Jun 11, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 33
only alternative is the zune. ive been looking for something similar to you, but i cant get a zune (in uk, dont want warranty issues) and i am deathly allergic to apple. otherwise, if you can come down the capacity even more, sansa view or creative zen 32gb, with a 16 gb card might be an alternative.

or, you can try and install rockbox on it. it is free, and might clear up the issues.

Jun 11, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 33
but the issue with zen's memory card handling is annoying.... is it fixed?

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 33
Nope, the Zen's SD card integration, or lack thereof, is still flawed/separate.
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 33
There's a 160GB Archos 605, but I don't know if that would be an improvement in terms of glitches and quirks, Archos usually has those in droves.

Jun 11, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 33
zune 80?

i cant think of something more stable than an ipod above 80 gigs..

Jun 11, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
only alternative is the zune. ive been looking for something similar to you, but i cant get a zune (in uk, dont want warranty issues) and i am deathly allergic to apple. otherwise, if you can come down the capacity even more, sansa view or creative zen 32gb, with a 16 gb card might be an alternative.

or, you can try and install rockbox on it. it is free, and might clear up the issues.

As of right now there is no Rockbox for the classic.
You could buy an 5.5 gen 80 gig ipod and put rockbox on that.
Either that or the Zune 80 would be the best for you imo.

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #8 of 33
Meh. It isn't that slow for you, is it? Maybe two second pauses to load lists, at most? I admit, its a bit annoying, but still... Still think it beats any alternative at the moment, although I got mine from a friend for like... fifty dollars.
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a 160GB Archos 605, but I don't know if that would be an improvement in terms of glitches and quirks, Archos usually has those in droves.

it's got a fair share of bugs, but it's still quite usable, at least my 30gb is.

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Callous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh. It isn't that slow for you, is it? Maybe two second pauses to load lists, at most? I admit, its a bit annoying, but still... Still think it beats any alternative at the moment, although I got mine from a friend for like... fifty dollars.
tongue.gif

i guess my biggest gripe is the constant pausing which is driving me nuts!!to be fair though,i have heard that this should be fixed with the next update,but this product has been badly flawed from the start.It really amazes me that they put this version out with so many imperfections.This is my fourth Ipod, so i have been loyal to the brand....until now.

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #11 of 33
I've had two Classic 160GB's and both had those annoying pauses. The interface is slow. But the big bugbear for me, is that I find those touch interfaces/scroll wheel are not sensitive enough for my skin. Happens to me with all touch interfaces, fingerprint scanners. Skin too dry I reckon. Anyway I also was wondering what the alternatives are. I love the buttons/interface on the Sony A818 I ahave. But more space would be great. And better playlists.

Jun 12, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

While it's not glitch-free (and nothing is) it is surprisingly stable, and SQ is also very good with a full-featured equalizer, SPDIF output, etc. But... while the 605 is great for video I found it a little crude for audio functions... poor seach/locate functionality, and playlists are poorly implemented. In all while the 605 has several strong points I don't think I'd quite recommend it in a primarily audio player role. Shame though, very nice in most other respects. Maybe a future firmware update will improve things.

Jun 12, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the classic pause during playback? Or just navigating? If it pauses during playback, thats a deal breaker for me.

There's a firmware bug in the classic where it will pause on rare occasions during playback for a second or two. Quite annoying and really takes you out of the music, but...it does happen very rarely at least.

Not sure when mine last "paused" briefly, but I'd guess it happens only every 50 to 100 songs on average. I haven't figured out what triggers it at all, but do hope it's fixed in the next firmware update. At the moment, the pause is my only real complaint about my Classic...

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #15 of 33
I have the 160gb classic loaded with lossless files (120gb so far) played through the LOD to a predator. I have had NONE of these problems. No pausing either before or during a song, no delay with the touch wheel. I realize there are a lot of apple bashers in general but for me the itune interface with the classic is the easiest and best I have seen. I use my TF10s mainly and listened to a large variety of music, rock, jazz, vocals, trance, electronic, world and altering equalizer settings for each type would be a pain. I have found that on earlier Ipod versions, these glitches happened after I had to replace my ipod with a refurbished version due to some other problem. This could be as much a hard disk issue too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back