High $ Cables For Senns - What's The Deal?
Dec 1, 2007 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

Jo6Pak

100+ Head-Fier
I've read the usual pros and cons (worth it/not worth it) of upgrade cables for Senn 580/600/650 and am wondering if there is ONE cable most people agree is a TRUE upgrade. I mean, one that most people actually notice an audible improvement. I recently got what I believe was a pretty good deal on some new 650s ($350 w/2nd day air) and am thinking I might want to splurge on a cable and then be DONE with it (until Senn comes out with something 'better').

Cardas? Moon Audio? What else should I be looking at? Or should I just leave the stock cable on it (I've also read that its not THAT bad)?

THANKS!

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 72
Try it with the stock cable and then go from there.

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 72
The problem is that the people who do not feel after market cables are worth it, feel that no cable makes an audible difference. The people that do feel that cables are a worthy upgrade will most likely feel that the one they own or the most expensive one is the best. Which is why you can not get a definitive answer. You may have to try one out at a meet or buy one from a place that lets you return it if you are not satisfied.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 72
Have you listened to the stock cable yet? Give it a shot first. I've found mine to be just fine for the past two years.

According to your profile, you only have Sennheiser cans. They are good, but have you thought about trying a Grado or an AKG? For what you'd pay for a cable, you could but another headphone. Or how about a Beyerdynamic? I love the DT880.

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is that the people who do not feel after market cables are worth it, feel that no cable makes an audible difference.

Cables do make an audible difference. Typically, they offer a different amount of electrical resistance than the stock cable. Not every cable measures the same. That leads to a subtle shift in sound.

A different resistance value can sound pleasing, but generally not at the prices aftermarket cable manufacturers want.

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 72
Not meant to start another controversy. I guess I should really ask, what other cables are available and where, besides the ones I mentioned (Cardas & Moon)?

The stock cable sounds ok, I guess, but not having anything to compare it to, how do I really know?

THANKS!

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 72
by far the most common upgrade cable among the high-end is the equinox.. and for a good reason.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was pretty happy with the stock cable with the 650s. The HD600s, on the other hand, needed the Cardas cable to sound their best IMO.

x2

I've listened to the HD600 with cardas cable and they do sound very good indeed! Equinox seems to be a very popular choice with HD650, maybe give the equinox a try?

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 72
You have Sennheiser and you still have the stock cable.
eek.gif

I own Equinox ... it's not audible difference it's HAND DOWN better in EVERY WAY.

It's more than 2 times better ... so for the price, it's worth the money for me.

It's still the Sennheiser sound in better.

When I got my HD650 ... it was my headphone for work ... not good enough for serious listening. I was prefering A LOT my DT990.

After recabled the HD650, the DT990 are my headphone for work and HD650 at home for serious listening. :xf_cool:

Be prepared to have a less flexible cable ... you need to worry to never twist it.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #15 of 72
for my hd580(sold it), i bought a dowin cable from head-direct for $69. sure, it was not one of those fancy/expensive cables but it was somewhat of an upgrade from the stock cable. i did hear some improvement in sound but it was very very very subtle, and i told myself that cable-upgrade was not worth the money.
i would love to try those expensive cables but i'd rather buy another pair of headphones with that money.
plus, i didnt like how bulky the dowin cable was. from what i've seen, those high-end cables are not so thin either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back