HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Async
Nov 2, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #18 of 34
yes,My 250ohm Beyers benefitted greatly with an e9 and the hifime sabre vs the sabre alone.thanks
hDIQWz

May 5, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #20 of 34

Hi, can you comment on just the sound quality of the U2 vs. the U2 + USB isolator? Trying to decide if the $30 USB isolator is worth it.

Thanks!

I wrote the following for another Head-Fier in a PM exchange.  Hope it helps.

Finally got some time to do a quick test with and without the USB isolator in the chain.  To my ears it definitely improves the soundstage, giving it more width and an overall greater sense of space.  It's harder for me to tell if its cleaner power improved the clarity of vocals and instruments, but if I imagine it does, then that's a nice placebo effect :wink:  And in fact it may be doing so.

Here's my setup and the tests I did:

"vintage" ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard using onboard USB port -->
Monoprice USB extension cable (6-feet) -->
USB Isolator -->
U2 Sabre DAC -->
AudioQuest Golden Gate 3.5mm-to-RCA cable (0.6 m; shortest one they make) -->
Schiit Lyr running 1966 RTC (La Radiotechnique) E188CC / 7308 tubes -->
plusSounds custom cable for HiFiMAN HE-500 (I've done three mods to the HE-500: re-grilling, jergpads v2.5; felt on the driver frame)

Songs used (all by Hugh Laurie)
"St. James Infirmary" from Let Them Talk
"You Don't Know My Mind" from Let Them Talk
"Kiss Of Fire" from Didn't It Rain
"Didn't It Rain" from Didn't It Rain

Listened with the USB isolator, again without it, then finally with it.

I picked those songs for their dynamic arrangements, mostly acoustic instrumentation and multiple vocal tracks, not to mention the quality of the mix and production.  I tend to listen to rock, but felt it would be harder to pick out any change.  There's no reason to think the expanded soundstage and better instrument separation wouldn't present themselves with whatever genre, esp. with well-recorded, mixed and produced music.  Source is definitely important.

NB: it's worth noting that I was quite focused on the music, not using as background while surfing the Net or doing anything else.  I guess it would be less apparent if you weren't "just listening."  So while there's nothing wrong with the DAC by itself, I feel pretty confident in recommending the isolator for all the reasons given on the HiFimeDIY site.  For me, it's not snakeoil, but I'm not an engineer.

Sep 27, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #27 of 34
In an impromptu test the other day, my brother briefly compared the U2 Sabre + isolator to his iPod Classic using some Focals (can't recall which model) driven by a JDS Labs C5.  He was not impressed with the bass on the U2 Sabre in comparison to the iPod, calling it "flabby."  He did like it compared to running straight out of my seriously crappy, seriously old HP dv7t
wink.gif
  Like I said, a very brief test.  He's a serious prosumer gear head with a nice little home studio in Tokyo.  He's probably as far from audiophile as can be, while being serious about music (he listens to everything when not making his own).  YMMV.

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #28 of 34
The USPS has been very efficient in moving the U2 from the Oregon warehouse to my location in California, so it looks like the U2 will arrive today and I'll start using it and comparing it to the Modi (and other sources).  So we will all have more information about the relative performance of these units.    Les

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #29 of 34
Thanks to the Post Office's efficient transit the U2 DAC and USB Isolator arrived today, 1 business day after being shipped.

I have just hooked them up to a laptop as an initial test.  Everything is working, a good start.  Output is to a Fiio E11K amp (a nice piece for its price) and Senn HD600's.  There will be other amps and 'phones for analysis.

At the outset, I can say that the USB isolator does improve things noticeably.  Of course this is on a probably noisy laptop with a crummy power supply.

I want things to break in for a few hours at least before I report any initial opinions.

More later.

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #30 of 34
  Thanks to the Post Office's efficient transit the U2 DAC and USB Isolator arrived today, 1 business day after being shipped.

I have just hooked them up to a laptop as an initial test.  Everything is working, a good start.  Output is to a Fiio E11K amp (a nice piece for its price) and Senn HD600's.  There will be other amps and 'phones for analysis.

At the outset, I can say that the USB isolator does improve things noticeably.  Of course this is on a probably noisy laptop with a crummy power supply.

I want things to break in for a few hours at least before I report any initial opinions.

More later.

Any thoughts on modi Vs sabre u2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back