Hifiman, which hifiman has the most, thick bloomy bass?
Jul 27, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 27
HE-500. Run them balanced on a potent amp. The stock pads aren't brutal, but, others tame the treble a bit, and seal better.

The stock silver cable is OK, although it's too long and kinks. I cut mine down to about 50", no more kinks.

The HE-6 is supposed to be beast in the bass, but they are hard to find, expensive, and demand a real stereo amp or a very potent headphone amp. Haven't heard them. Sure like too.

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #5 of 27
None of the HiFiMan's have very bloomy bass, they go for a tighter bass presentation. They are bass light compared to Audeze and ZMF planars for reference, and bass is also not as tight or heavy as those (HE-6 and below at least).

Going from Audeze and ZMF to HiFiMan (LFF Code-6 with various pads, HE-560), HiFiMan bass disappointed me.

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #6 of 27
On topic: If you have good source and a good seal on your head, you have to be a bass head to want/need more than the HE-500 bass IMO. HD-600, HE-400*, TH500-RP, and SR80e - all those and many more could use more bass. HE-500 is good. Sometimes a little thicker than ideal - multi instruments in the bass can show that, but a standard rock/pop recording with compressed electric bass and drums? Not usually an issue.

HE-500's are particularly good for 5 or less musicians in a well recorded/mastered Doug Sax sort of setting. The much discussed decay issues are shown off very well in those recordings. The decay is just right, not too long as some claim. Pull out a near SOTA speaker like the Maggie 3.7i or the Verity Parsifal, and it's not going to do any better.

Off topic: every day I hit Amazon looking at Hifiman prices to see if there is a drop. So last night I noticed no listing for Ananda's, then I see a HE-6 used. $350 described "Used - like new". It also said email before ordering (ah ha, there is a catch...). Wake up today to find an email saying Amazon screwed up the listing and they don't sell them. Like new HE-6's for $350? Obviously too good to be true, but I did dare hope. And the Ananda's are listed again, and nothing is on sale.

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #7 of 27
On topic: If you have good source and a good seal on your head, you have to be a bass head to want/need more than the HE-500 bass IMO. HD-600, HE-400*, TH500-RP, and SR80e - all those and many more could use more bass. HE-500 is good. Sometimes a little thicker than ideal - multi instruments in the bass can show that, but a standard rock/pop recording with compressed electric bass and drums? Not usually an issue.

HE-500's are particularly good for 5 or less musicians in a well recorded/mastered Doug Sax sort of setting. The much discussed decay issues are shown off very well in those recordings. The decay is just right, not too long as some claim. Pull out a near SOTA speaker like the Maggie 3.7i or the Verity Parsifal, and it's not going to do any better.

Off topic: every day I hit Amazon looking at Hifiman prices to see if there is a drop. So last night I noticed no listing for Ananda's, then I see a HE-6 used. $350 described "Used - like new". It also said email before ordering (ah ha, there is a catch...). Wake up today to find an email saying Amazon screwed up the listing and they don't sell them. Like new HE-6's for $350? Obviously too good to be true, but I did dare hope. And the Ananda's are listed again, and nothing is on sale.

Yeah never trust a listing like that $350 HE-6 lol. I've never even seen a used one go for under $1k (or if I have I've just forgotten).

Aug 3, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #8 of 27

So your liking the ananda over the he x

Aug 3, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #9 of 27
So your liking the ananda over the he x

Ummm... The cans that HFM has produced in the last few years I have heard are the: 560 v1, Sundara, and briefly the 1000 v2. All of then have taut damped bass in the mid bass and upper bass then then the 500 - which is a bit richer, thicker, slightly slower - but not a mud can by any means.

The 500 has more low bass than the Sundara or 560 IMO. Bloom certainly. The 500 also seems to give more body to male singers, but not in a distorted fat sense, just in a resonant fully voiced sense. The 500 must have a thicker mylar, which must "ring" or resonate a bit more than then the newer thinner ones.

Can't argue that the newest hifimans are more accurate, but, sometimes they seem like they are migrating towards a Senn type sound - very low distortion, very see through, and yet somehow sterile which leeches the life from the music. Maybe the technology of thinner and thinner while a good thing in some ways, isn't in other ways. When I hear the Senn 800, I want to hear it on tubes, doesn't mate that well with transistors. Might mean my future cans are HE-6's, and other planars.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 27
None of the HiFiMan's have very bloomy bass, they go for a tighter bass presentation. They are bass light compared to Audeze and ZMF planars for reference, and bass is also not as tight or heavy as those (HE-6 and below at least).

Going from Audeze and ZMF to HiFiMan (LFF Code-6 with various pads, HE-560), HiFiMan bass disappointed me.
Actually HEKv1 has very bloomy not tight bass, mate. But agree with you. I much prefer Audeze and ZMF bass.

This is easy. Tried a lot of hifimans. HEKv1 definitely fits the bill. Bloomy loose bass.

Once I tried HE560 vs TH900 side-by-side. Boy, the TH900 just killed the HE560. They are not even in the same class, especially in soundstage, clarity, and bass.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #11 of 27
Once I tried HE560 vs TH900 side-by-side. Boy, the TH900 just killed the HE560. They are not even in the same class, especially in soundstage, clarity, and bass.

TH-900 is in another price range than the 560. Most fans of HFM wouldn't list the 560 among their favorites.

HEKv1 have a reputation for soft bass "bloomy" bass, but not much on impact. A can like a Senn 600 or 800 will give lots of leading wave impact, but are well overdamped and not bloomy. The art of making cans is to give the impact and a suitable sustain that matches the music - and not dominate the rest of the sound, or leech into the lower mids which the Audeze LCD-2's do oh so well - not to mention where the heck are the upper mids and treble? LCD-4? Maybe, but we've zoomed out of the price range of anything being discussed in this thread.

Overall HFM's are good at both - in terms of musical reproduction and not bass head ear candy. The 500 (the best overall can you can find used for $350-400 IMO) has a bit too much bloom. If you use a potent SS amp - it will tamp that down a bit. The impact isn't perfect either (excellent in the mid and upper bass, slight mute in the lower bass) but the mids where the music lives is superb, and the treble is also very good, and superb at the price.

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #13 of 27
Wasn't the HE560 priced at $1200 previously, mate? Should have been $300. It would have been more acceptable for that kinda quality. But yeah, they are different leagues.

It was $900 but never worth it since its own predecessor, the HE-500, was $500 at the time and is a better headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back