Hifiman, which hifiman has the most, thick bloomy bass?
Aug 4, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #16 of 27
Wasn't the HE560 priced at $1200 previously, mate? Should have been $300. It would have been more acceptable for that kinda quality. But yeah, they are different leagues.

$899 original list of the HE-560. The Fostex 900v2 lists for $1499. Cans in that price range such as HD-800, Focal Clears and a few others would seem to be the cans to reasonably put up against the 900's.

Different leagues indeed.

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #17 of 27
Is there a new purchase that equals the 500 or he6. Sounds like Hifiman has made a mistake. Even the he 400 seem to be a favorite. I like my he 400 over my 400i

That’s one perspective. Here’s another one. Why would Hifiman make newer headphones that sound just like their predecessors? Wouldn’t that be redundant? I really like their new direction of heading more towards neutral with improved clarity. Because although I agree that it does move their sound closer to Sennheiser, they’re not nearly as bright or sibilant (except for he560, which I find unlistenable).
But if you prefer the sound of their older cans, then you can just buy one of those models.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #18 of 27
Is there a new purchase that equals the 500 or he6. Sounds like Hifiman has made a mistake. Even the he 400 seem to be a favorite. I like my he 400 over my 400i

The Sundara is different but also phenomenal at $500.

Then there's the Edition X V2 and Ananda, but I only listened to the Edition X v1 briefly and it didn't impress (can't say much more than that though).

Aug 4, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #19 of 27
That’s one perspective. Here’s another one. Why would Hifiman make newer headphones that sound just like their predecessors? Wouldn’t that be redundant? I really like their new direction of heading more towards neutral with improved clarity. Because although I agree that it does move their sound closer to Sennheiser, they’re not nearly as bright or sibilant (except for he560, which I find unlistenable).
But if you prefer the sound of their older cans, then you can just buy one of those models.
I understand. I have the focal clears. So I don’t need another neutral can. Always looking for a fun bass heavy can to compliment my Focal Clears

Aug 4, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #20 of 27
I understand. I have the focal clears. So I don’t need another neutral can. Always looking for a fun bass heavy can to compliment my Focal Clears

Have you looked into the Audeze LCD 2 Classic? It’s pretty bassy and not very expensive. If you want high end, you should look into the ZMF Auteur with Eikon pads.

Aug 4, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #22 of 27

Also consider you might be able to get the best of both worlds if you sold the Focal Clear.

Aug 5, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #24 of 27
TH-900 is in another price range than the 560. Most fans of HFM wouldn't list the 560 among their favorites.

HEKv1 have a reputation for soft bass "bloomy" bass, but not much on impact. A can like a Senn 600 or 800 will give lots of leading wave impact, but are well overdamped and not bloomy. The art of making cans is to give the impact and a suitable sustain that matches the music - and not dominate the rest of the sound, or leech into the lower mids which the Audeze LCD-2's do oh so well - not to mention where the heck are the upper mids and treble? LCD-4? Maybe, but we've zoomed out of the price range of anything being discussed in this thread.

Overall HFM's are good at both - in terms of musical reproduction and not bass head ear candy. The 500 (the best overall can you can find used for $350-400 IMO) has a bit too much bloom. If you use a potent SS amp - it will tamp that down a bit. The impact isn't perfect either (excellent in the mid and upper bass, slight mute in the lower bass) but the mids where the music lives is superb, and the treble is also very good, and superb at the price.

Agree with the 500 being among the best cans in that range. With a good amp, they are AMAZING headphones. In terms of getting a more bloomy bass (if that's what you're after) Audeze vegan pads do that. They make them sound like you put them on tubes with a more warm sound, more emphasis on mids and bass and less treble detail and sparkle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back