HiFiMan Susvara
May 9, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #25,666 of 25,869
Rediscovered the stock Susvara cable.. it is by far not the best in terms of appearance and tactility, but sounds just right in my system (Roon (HQPlayer) ->Hegel H590).. Just sharing..
It's the same for me. I hate it's aesthetics but love how it sounds and prefer it over my other cables

May 9, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #25,667 of 25,869
It's the same for me. I hate it's aesthetics but love how it sounds and prefer it over my other cables
Ran had that sh!t on his $100K setup. I was like you're still using the stock cable? He's like, yeah. The aesthetics and rubbery feel turn me off though

May 9, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #25,668 of 25,869
Ran had that sh!t on his $100K setup. I was like you're still using the stock cable? He's like, yeah. The aesthetics and rubbery feel turn me off though

If I had that setup, I'd be willing to upgrade to the Voila cable since we're already in a cost no object system

May 10, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #25,669 of 25,869

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-10 083321.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-10 083321.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 0
May 10, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #25,670 of 25,869
Same here with my US$120+k system set-up.
Been using the Susvara stock cable since I first bought my Susvara (with the EF1000) a few years back now. No complaints at all !

May 10, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #25,671 of 25,869
Which is better? A TOTL IEM or TOTL Headphone like Susvara for home use in a quiet environment?
It really depends — for me: in a quiet environment, an open-back headphone like Susvara is always going to be better. When there is a need to be in a loud place, closed-back headphones are always better. When there is a need to travel/remain portable (imagine traveling with a Susvara chain lol), then IEM's are always better. There is some overlap, but the form factor ultimately depends on the use case.

Ultimate sound can only be delivered by ultimate open-back headphones, IMHO, but the drawbacks of them (sound leakage, huge size) often outweigh the SQ in situations.

May 10, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #25,672 of 25,869
Meh, I loved her vocals with The Sugarcubes, but pretty much all of the solo stuff is too artsy for me... and I frequently like artsy. OTOH, she has legions of devoted fans, so who really cares what I think? LOL.
I get how you might find a lot of her more modern stuff too "out there" to enjoy. Personally, I can't get enough; I think she's an artistic genius. Next year is my 50th birthday and I'm actually planning a trip to Iceland for it, in part to hopefully catch her DJing in her hometown, Reykjavic.

Either way, I think you'll find an awful lot of her music is incredibly complex and layered and really showcases Susvara's prowess not just with vocals, but also with complex passages and nuanced timbres. Or maybe I'm just a fanboy. 🤷‍♂️:smile: (of both Bjork AND Susvara!)

May 10, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #25,673 of 25,869
Been using the Susvara stock cable since I first bought my Susvara (with the EF1000) a few years back now. No complaints at all !

How is your EF 1000 holding up? Do you fee its the ultimate “Susvara” amp?

May 10, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #25,674 of 25,869
Part of the Susvara fun is the journey of finding the right amp. Just because other people feel an amp is “perfect” doesn’t make it perfect for me. At the end of the road you feel both satisfied and accomplished. You don’t get that when you just throw money at it hoping that it’s the best.

May 11, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #25,675 of 25,869
I just found out how you store your files reflects in quality of the sound on Susvara. It is bigger improvement than filters and cables.

ROON users. unfortunately are depended on the SMB for NAS/Fileservers. I could not find any support for ISCSI

It is no secret if you deep google SMB or NFS should have never been a thing in audiophile community.

ISCSI is also old, but it beats both for music on my system. It has no security, it has no bottleneck. It is block-level and it is fully open without any encryption. Just like an internal storage, but sound even better on SAN implementation.

Synology/FreeNAS/TrueNAS users: Do yourself this big favor. Thick Provision a share with no authentication, Single host, and test it for yourselfs.

You will hear the difference in the layers of the music. It is incredible improvement.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #25,676 of 25,869
How is your EF 1000 holding up? Do you fee its the ultimate “Susvara” amp?
Hi 'TDHead', It's holding up great. Thank you for asking. Much appreciated (it's a lonely place in the world having an EF1000 with not many people asking about it !)

Not thinking at all of changing it as it's a fantastic Amp (actually it's a hybrid Integrated Amp) - Pre-Amp & Power Amp) both for the Susvara and as a Speaker Amp for medium to high efficiency speakers.

Yes, definitely feels it's the absolute ultimate with the Susvara as long as you have a high to TOTL quality source input into it as you hear upgrade differences with the EF1000 and Susvara (which is another great bonus for this combo with keeping me away from wanting to upgrade them !).
If you decide to buy one, I can assure you, that you will not be disappointed with it's performance and what you hear from it especially with the Susvara !

Would love to do direct A to B comparisons using the same source with other TOTL Amps like the Trafomatic Primavera, Aries Cerat Genus, Woo Audio WA33 Elite, Woo Audio WA234 Mono etc.

Also at some point, need to try other difficult to drive / high impedance different headphones with the EF1000 to see how they sound. Imagine they will all sound great if the Susvara is anything to go by !

Only down side with the EF1000 for me is in the UK Summers if we have hot days and my listening room starts getting quite hot as the EF1000 gets very hot (even to touch) leading to my listening room getting very hot (even with the windows and doors open for natural ventilation) if the EF1000 is left on and being used for like 2+ hour periods. So for such hot summer days, I limit my listening time to like one hour blocks with say a 2 hours rest in between to allow the EF1000 and my room to cool down !
Maybe I should invest in a small A/C Unit for such UK Summer days !

May 11, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #25,677 of 25,869
Holy moly! this new ISCSI setup, made me realize Susvaras biggest weakness is its biggest strength! - Dayum. I am keeping this for myself! :sweat_smile:

I love you ISCSI:hearts:

May 11, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #25,678 of 25,869
Hi 'TDHead', It's holding up great. Thank you for asking. Much appreciated (it's a lonely place in the world having an EF1000 with not many people asking about it !)

Not thinking at all of changing it as it's a fantastic Amp (actually it's a hybrid Integrated Amp) - Pre-Amp & Power Amp) both for the Susvara and as a Speaker Amp for medium to high efficiency speakers.

Yes, definitely feels it's the absolute ultimate with the Susvara as long as you have a high to TOTL quality source input into it as you hear upgrade differences with the EF1000 and Susvara (which is another great bonus for this combo with keeping me away from wanting to upgrade them !).
If you decide to buy one, I can assure you, that you will not be disappointed with it's performance and what you hear from it especially with the Susvara !

Would love to do direct A to B comparisons using the same source with other TOTL Amps like the Trafomatic Primavera, Aries Cerat Genus, Woo Audio WA33 Elite, Woo Audio WA234 Mono etc.

Also at some point, need to try other difficult to drive / high impedance different headphones with the EF1000 to see how they sound. Imagine they will all sound great if the Susvara is anything to go by !

Only down side with the EF1000 for me is in the UK Summers if we have hot days and my listening room starts getting quite hot as the EF1000 gets very hot (even to touch) leading to my listening room getting very hot (even with the windows and doors open for natural ventilation) if the EF1000 is left on and being used for like 2+ hour periods. So for such hot summer days, I limit my listening time to like one hour blocks with say a 2 hours rest in between to allow the EF1000 and my room to cool down !
Maybe I should invest in a small A/C Unit for such UK Summer days !
Thanks for the response. I actually had one for a very short time. Loved it but there were problems with it so I returned it and bought something else (always regretted not just replacing it) But i got spooked. It would kind of shut down on very dynamic passages , almost like a trip switch every time? No one could figure out why so HiFi man took it back. I still see one in my future.

May 11, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #25,679 of 25,869
Thanks for the response. I actually had one for a very short time. Loved it but there were problems with it so I returned it and bought something else (always regretted not just replacing it) But i got spooked. It would kind of shut down on very dynamic passages , almost like a trip switch every time? No one could figure out why so HiFi man took it back. I still see one in my future.
Sounds like a current and or voltage surge overload from your source component(s) into the EF1000 where the EF1000 has shut down to protect itself !

May 11, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #25,680 of 25,869
Sounds like a current and or voltage surge overload from your source component(s) into the EF1000 where the EF1000 has shut down to protect itself !
Wished I had thought of that, even HIFIman did not suggest. I have a Lina Dac in my chain then and now. I had it set to 6V maybe it was too high etc.thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back