HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #25,276 of 25,639
My Norne Vykari cable is here. :) The clear-sleeved version that I ordered was out of stock, so Trevor was kind enough to offer to build a sleeved version to my specs and allow me the option to swap it for the new "v2" clear-sleeved version as soon as it's available if I choose to. He even threw in a mysterious "RnD demo" cable for me to play with in the meantime. :) I don't put a lot of stock in sonic differences between cables, but I *DO* put a lot of stock in maximizing every piece of my hifi from the wall to my ears, and there was no way I was going to settle for the famously terrible Hifiman stock cable for my TOTL planar. :wink:

My first impression is that maybe I hear a little more weight to the sound (specifically the background sounds?) vs the stock hifiman cable, but I'll need more time to consider what I really hear vs what I think I want to hear. :wink: Either way, I'm quite happy with the look & feel of this Norne cable. :D

20240409_182346.jpg
20240409_182425.jpg
Congrats! Vykari was my favorite cable when I had my Susvara but it was later on surpassed by DHC Complement C15 S-Mod. Enjoy!

Apr 10, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #25,279 of 25,639
Which is better? A TOTL IEM or TOTL Headphone like Susvara for home use in a quiet environment?
One of them will leave you in a rabbit hole(amp) that will haunt you, even after selling it…be careful

Just choose in-ear. Don’t make the same mistake as the rest of us

https://www.64audio.com/

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #25,280 of 25,639
Which is better? A TOTL IEM or TOTL Headphone like Susvara for home use in a quiet environment?
There's absolutely no comparison but susvara requires alot of money to truly hear it at its best

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #25,281 of 25,639
If the IEM uses balanced armatures, you're going to get a nasty timbre that may or may not drive you mad.

I cannot in good consciousness recommend an IEM over full sized headphones in any circumstance other than the exact reverse circumstance you described.

If you're really tempted to go IEM, look for flagships from a year or two ago, as the resale on most IEMs like that bottoms out right quick.

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #25,282 of 25,639
If the IEM uses balanced armatures, you're going to get a nasty timbre that may or may not drive you mad.

I cannot in good consciousness recommend an IEM over full sized headphones in any circumstance other than the exact reverse circumstance you described.

If you're really tempted to go IEM, look for flagships from a year or two ago, as the resale on most IEMs like that bottoms out right quick.

IMHO most of these BA timbre issues are almost nonexistent with TOTL IEMs, but some did forgo BA drivers completely and just get pure 3x DD (Trifecta) for their endgame IEM

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #25,283 of 25,639
IMHO most of these BA timbre issues are almost nonexistent with TOTL IEMs, but some did forgo BA drivers completely and just get pure 3x DD (Trifecta) for their endgame IEM
If they're avoiding BA timbre issues, they're avoiding BAs. Perhaps tribrid/quadbrid setups have enough DDs, BCs, and ESTs in order to avoid sound like a POS, haha. The "BA timbre" lies in the third harmonic distortion, which gives it that "rotary telephone speaker" sound. The 10-20 driver per ear dealies will give you the best cardboard box sound you will ever hear!

In conclusion, if portability and noise isolation aren't requisite, go with the Susvara!

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #25,284 of 25,639
Its a different sound. IEM sounds more in your head, and Susvara is more like listening to speakers. You should try before buying.
Going further i would say iems is in your head sound, closed back big cans is like listen to near speakers, open back premium cans is like listen to far speakers and susvaras is like listen to the real life 😊

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #25,285 of 25,639
I cant advice a newcommer to go with Susvara, the investment into the chain is VERY high if you want to make Susvara sound good. Caldera which you can run from anything is by far a safer choice.

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #25,286 of 25,639
I cant advice a newcommer to go with Susvara, the investment into the chain is VERY high if you want to make Susvara sound good. Caldera which you can run from anything is by far a safer choice.
A safer choice, but what i enjoy more of an open back hp is a big soundstage. If that is the case i would go hifiman. But i havent heard Caldera. Maybe im wrong about its soundstage. I only know that susvara soundstage can be delicious when have enough power to feed them. Spectacular.
But its true that you need at least a 3k € amp to begin.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #25,287 of 25,639
A safer choice, but what i enjoy more of an open back hp is a big soundstage. If that is the case i would go hifiman. But i havent heard Caldera. Maybe im wrong about its soundstage. I only know that susvara soundstage can be delicious when have enough power to feed them. Spectacular.
But its true that you need at least a 3k € amp to begin.

An Arya would give you big soundstage and is an excellent starter HP for a properly represented Hifiman house sound (minus the extreme refinements from the Sus)

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #25,288 of 25,639
An Arya would give you big soundstage and is an excellent starter HP for a properly represented Hifiman house sound (minus the extreme refinements from the Sus)
Yes. But arya needs some power too. I bought my v2 to be feed by a fiio m15 which is 1W, and they sound meh. They sound quite good with the a90 but with the burson gt they are a completely different beast. Same resolution but triple bass, slam and soundstage. I dont recommend hifiman if you dont plan to go for a powerful amp, even aryas. Or you will get the metallic and too bright hifiman underpowered sound.

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #25,289 of 25,639
Yes. But arya needs some power too. I bought my v2 to be feed by a fiio m15 which is 1W, and they sound meh. They sound quite good with the a90 but with the burson gt they are a completely different beast. Same resolution but triple bass, slam and soundstage. I dont recommend hifiman if you dont plan to go for a powerful amp, even aryas. Or you will get the metallic and too bright hifiman underpowered sound.
Get the HE400SE….just get it…. Made me sell both Arya V2 and HE1000 stealth.

Feed it with power and get rewarded

Apr 10, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #25,290 of 25,639
Get the v7 Vivids man- they transform Aryas into something another level up. Bass def and impact, the tendency to slight shoutiness in the upper mids is gone, imaging much more precise, depth improves. Dynamics still good at low listening volume I turned off the EQ I had going - Aryas don’t need it with the V7s in. I’m telling you (and every 3XGTer) this is a must-do upgrade. More than the SP02 power modules even. Susvaras: TONIGHT’S THE NIGHT. Full review to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back