HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 6, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #25,231 of 25,628
I've got a May L2 arriving Monday. Will use Sus to compare to my Dave (via Feliks Envy and XIAUDIO Formula S and Powerman).
Nice congrats, looking forward to your impressions! How long ago did you order? I am wondering about that 4-5 week timeline accuracy and was it also from Kitsune

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #25,232 of 25,628
Nice congrats, looking forward to your impressions! How long ago did you order? I am wondering about that 4-5 week timeline accuracy and was it also from Kitsune
Bought it from Krude on classifieds here. At least it will already be burned in :)

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #25,233 of 25,628
Its awesome, enjoy!

Apr 6, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #25,234 of 25,628
Did you find the Chimera thinner sounding than the Voila?
The Chimera is definitely not a thin cable. It has the best bass I've ever heard, though I haven't heard the Viola. It has a full, but flat/balanced frequency response. Unfortunately, my reference point is Nirvana, but that cable had way more added low midrange, all the stuff between 200hz and 400hz, but actually weaker bass.

Sounds like Viola has more weight and energy in the bass region, but the fullness you get with their house sound is generally low midrange. I personally don't care for that, and I'd rather get that weight from an amp.

Apr 6, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #25,235 of 25,628
Nothing high end, but silver / copper hybrid Forza cables work great for me - very nice feel zero microphonics and very flexible.
I have Forza Noir Hybrid cable for my Utopia, very much recommended, excellent value.

I have a Norne Vykari cable on the way for Susvara in a few days. I've never really "heard" a cable make an audible difference, but very much interested to see if this quite high end Norne + Susvara is where my ears will finally hear it. Or, if not, I'm satisfied with the whole 'audio jewellery' aspect of it anyway - Susvara deserves a fancy cable either way. :)

Apr 6, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #25,236 of 25,628
Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #25,237 of 25,628
Apr 6, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #25,238 of 25,628
I have Forza Noir Hybrid cable for my Utopia, very much recommended, excellent value.

I have a Norne Vykari cable on the way for Susvara in a few days. I've never really "heard" a cable make an audible difference, but very much interested to see if this quite high end Norne + Susvara is where my ears will finally hear it. Or, if not, I'm satisfied with the whole 'audio jewellery' aspect of it anyway - Susvara deserves a fancy cable either way. :)

I'd be surprised if you can't hear the difference in cables using Susvara. The differences are a lot more noticeable through the Susvara than most headphones out there

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #25,239 of 25,628
Regarding cables:

Know you system before you decide buying anything.

Don´t buy anything based on peoples opinion....they....really don´t have the same system/perception as you

----

What can you learn from this.....you will eventually waste a lot of money, cause you decided to....

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #25,240 of 25,628
#ostewart: Excellent idea! I will follow what is written here while waiting for a good offer! 2024 is the year I set out to fulfill my dream of finally buying the mighty Susvara, after two years of enjoying the HE 1000SE, also called the poor man's Susvara. 😀
i spent some time comparing them last week. the family resemblance is strong imo.

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #25,241 of 25,628
I wouldn't call the V2, SE or the Stealth "the poor mans Susvara"-- but rather a steal at their price / performance points--they're nothing short of fantastic headphones, especially the V2 for me which I've owned ~6+yrs and just purchased the SE from HiFiMAN ~8 weeks ago, so I'm not as acquainted with them as I'm with the V2. I may also be revisiting the Susvara in the near future again due to an incoming Feliks Envy Performance Edition in American Walnut after owning the Susvara back in '18 but preferring the V2 over them at the time.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #25,243 of 25,628
In that case, which would be a recommended TOTL cable for the Susvara that is still relatively light and flexible? I had the Nirvana for a while and loved its sound but couldn't get used to the ergonomics. Is there a similarly high end cable that behaves more like a regular cable?
My impressions of stock was a long time ago....things has changed at 1000hours break in with FAW. Dayum! - Me likes this!

One thing that it is the most important thing is the ergonomics(weight). It ruins everything for me. The stock was still light but annoying in another way. That was the reason buying another cable, FAW in 2.5meters is perfect- (I can reach the fridge while having them on)- . However after trying the stock again last night. I instantly notice that it sounded more choked, and had super fast transients to the unforgiving side.

FAW, more airy, comfortable transients without smearing on faster tracks. Best of all a well controlled low-end, that embrace the ear. This is a point where I can hear the FAW has breaked in much more. The reverb decays are matching now on FAW. The stock sounds cheaper now:rolling_eyes::open_mouth: - 500-1000hours for the Hybrid HPC stock connectors(gold plated). I think the rhodium takes them to the 1000hours.

I am literally surprised. My assumptions were right they needed the long hours. I still like the stock Susvara cables on the HE400SE. From memory they sounded better than FAW on HE400SE.....so confusing hobby! - Total different story on Susvara

----
Pairing cables.....
In this time period I have changed the cables/interconnects on the system a lot. One thing is certain though, FAW sounds clearly to the better for me.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #25,244 of 25,628
I would like to know your impressions of the new op amps and power modules. Of course i mean with susvara.
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v7/

Pls see the chart on this page for comparisons, they are pretty spot on. Listening today (as is my usual pattern) just via HD650 since its day 1 (I never start with a new Burson upgrade on Susvara, so more when I get there). Apart from what is on the page, I immediately noticed increased bass authority and texture, and yes better micro dynamics and detail retrieval /refinement across the FR. The 650s are no king of imaging but it definitely opens up. This was all immediately obvious - will let things burn in for a while before moving up to Arya then Susvara. Definitely worth upgrading.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #25,245 of 25,628
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v7/

Pls see the chart on this page for comparisons, they are pretty spot on. Listening today (as is my usual pattern) just via HD650 since its day 1 (I never start with a new Burson upgrade on Susvara, so more when I get there). Apart from what is on the page, I immediately noticed increased bass authority and texture, and yes better micro dynamics and detail retrieval /refinement across the FR. The 650s are no king of imaging but it definitely opens up. This was all immediately obvious - will let things burn in for a while before moving up to Arya then Susvara. Definitely worth upgrading.
Sorry have to say since owning the Susvaras, the HD650 sound like toys. Skip HD650 and go to Susvara :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back