HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 21, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #24,646 of 25,885
The Danacable Voila for the Susvara is the real deal. In my opinion, a better match with the Sus than the Nirvana. I'll post impressions after I have some hours on it. So far, it is looking like the best headphone cable I ever had and the best I have heard the Susvara.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #24,647 of 25,885
The Danacable Voila for the Susvara is the real deal. In my opinion, a better match with the Sus than the Nirvana. I'll post impressions after I have some hours on it. So far, it is looking like the best headphone cable I ever had and the best I have heard the Susvara.
The cable cost more than the headphone. For most that kind of cost makes no sense. If money is no object then sure.

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #24,648 of 25,885
The cable cost more than the headphone. For most that kind of cost makes no sense. If money is no object then sure.
It's expensive, I don't disagree with you. But the impact is similar to a component upgrade. I didn't 100% feel that way with the Nirvana (again, it only had 100hrs of burn in), but I think the Voila does meet that expectation(with the Susvara).

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #24,649 of 25,885
The Red October is an amp I'd love to hear. Do you find it to be more of a different flavor w/various tradeoffs in favor of each vs. the CFA3 w/the Susvara, or do you find it a solid, clear step ahead? Not looking for too much detail or to derail the thread, just curious as it's rare people have heard it.
There are several layers to the answer. First the CFA3, I listen to it with super symmetry rather than zero feedback. I like the presentation a little further back. I know I lose a little dynamics but that is my preference. The Red October also has different tubes so that factors in. In general the CFA3 has the characteristics of an SS amp where it is more dynamic and fast but when I have the Elrog and Mullard GZ34 metal base it is just as fast and clear with a little hint of warm over the CFA3 - smooths out the upper treble a little. The Red October with WE300 tubes and WE422a it is very holographic, richer mids and more "tubey." This combo on some jazz and female vocals are killer and something the CFA3 can't do. So tube rolling is the biggest difference from the CFA3 as the dynamics and detail are right there in the same block. Sound stage is wider on the Red October compared to CFA3 zero feedback and about the same with super symmetry. Plus the impedance jacks are nice to have on the Red October to fine tune your sound. For the most part CFA3 is my Abyss 1266 go to amp and Red October is my Sus go to amp. They just match better that way. To my ears the Sus does well with tubes and really takes advantage of the second and third harmonics.

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #24,650 of 25,885
Zhal HM1 would be the total opposite of the Red October. Some prefer the extracting the last bit of resolution as well as refinement out of the Sus and that's where I would put the HM1 to be some of the best amps for that job

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #24,651 of 25,885
There are several layers to the answer. First the CFA3, I listen to it with super symmetry rather than zero feedback. I like the presentation a little further back. I know I lose a little dynamics but that is my preference. The Red October also has different tubes so that factors in. In general the CFA3 has the characteristics of an SS amp where it is more dynamic and fast but when I have the Elrog and Mullard GZ34 metal base it is just as fast and clear with a little hint of warm over the CFA3 - smooths out the upper treble a little. The Red October with WE300 tubes and WE422a it is very holographic, richer mids and more "tubey." This combo on some jazz and female vocals are killer and something the CFA3 can't do. So tube rolling is the biggest difference from the CFA3 as the dynamics and detail are right there in the same block. Sound stage is wider on the Red October compared to CFA3 zero feedback and about the same with super symmetry. Plus the impedance jacks are nice to have on the Red October to fine tune your sound. For the most part CFA3 is my Abyss 1266 go to amp and Red October is my Sus go to amp. They just match better that way. To my ears the Sus does well with tubes and really takes advantage of the second and third harmonics.
I just made a post about something similar. Stating how amazed i am hearing HA-300-II with CV6 / Elrogs and the sheer speed and tecnicality of presentation. I have heard slow amps ... how can an 80 year old tube dance the legs off young solid state when it comes to sheer speed? I've heard poor 6SN7's rounding off top end and making poresentation slow, then theres CV6 that doesnt put a foot wrong with the Elrogs.

Just 'MAZIN.

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #24,652 of 25,885
Zhal HM1 would be the total opposite of the Red October. Some prefer the extracting the last bit of resolution as well as refinement out of the Sus and that's where I would put the HM1 to be some of the best amps for that job
Can you also sweeten the sound of the Zahl-HM1 a bit by using Class A and perhaps a bit of extra bass

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #24,653 of 25,885
as one who rationalizes and justifies all sorts of excessive expenditures I can say that to me spending that kind of money on a cable is crazy....when I was at canjam I listened to the danacable 5k cable with a susvara..I happen to have a danacable that cost me 1000 bucks some years ago presently and the thought of spending 5k is bonkers to me ..I suppose if I had unlimited resources the last fraction of 1% might be worth it to me...I would much rather put that money toward a better amp or DAC or a new HP

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #24,654 of 25,885
What are peoples thoughts on good 300b tube pairings with the Sus? I just got the we300b and while the tubes are truly transformative, I am finding the mid range focus and boost to take away from the Susvaras absolute perfection in tonal balance and neutrality. And while detail and realism have gone up (shockingly so), they are feeling a bit more clinical and less ....exciting?

I've heard the Elrogs are more neautral but also even more technical, so if after more burn-in I'm still not enjoying them, I'm not sure where to go :'D. Maybe back to the gold lions as I really enjoyed those

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #24,655 of 25,885
Can you also sweeten the sound of the Zahl-HM1 a bit by using Class A and perhaps a bit of extra bass
Bass knob 1 to the right is fantastic, but for me Class A makes the HM1 lose the tight grip on the Susvara that really sets it apart from other solid state amps

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #24,656 of 25,885
as one who rationalizes and justifies all sorts of excessive expenditures I can say that to me spending that kind of money on a cable is crazy....when I was at canjam I listened to the danacable 5k cable with a susvara..I happen to have a danacable that cost me 1000 bucks some years ago presently and the thought of spending 5k is bonkers to me ..I suppose if I had unlimited resources the last fraction of 1% might be worth it to me...I would much rather put that money toward a better amp or DAC or a new HP
That’s the same reason as someone claiming 24K gold plated toilet helps them poop better compared to ceramic. But yea, 5K cables is just a scam to me. Unless they run pure gold and silver with enough weight to cost 4K then the 5K might make sense.

Mar 21, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #24,657 of 25,885
I find that the Voila cable is doing more than 1%... I'll stand by what I said about it sounding like a component upgrade. What did you think of the Voila cable when you heard it, just curious. My personal off the hip impression is that the highs and the upper mids are sweeter, fuller, but still resolving and dynamic. No electronic haze anywhere in the background, exceedingly natural sounding. Similarities it shares with the Nirvana, in my opinion, are stage size and imaging. Female vocals are noticeably better on the Voila(with the Susvara).

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #24,658 of 25,885
What are peoples thoughts on good 300b tube pairings with the Sus? I just got the we300b and while the tubes are truly transformative, I am finding the mid range focus and boost to take away from the Susvaras absolute perfection in tonal balance and neutrality. And while detail and realism have gone up (shockingly so), they are feeling a bit more clinical and less ....exciting?

I've heard the Elrogs are more neautral but also even more technical, so if after more burn-in I'm still not enjoying them, I'm not sure where to go :'D. Maybe back to the gold lions as I really enjoyed those
if the WE and Elrog do not work for you perhaps you should seek out something else...what I do not know

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #24,659 of 25,885
I find that the Voila cable is doing more than 1%... I'll stand by what I said about it sounding like a component upgrade. What did you think of the Voila cable when you heard it, just curious. My personal off the hip impression is that the highs and the upper mids are sweeter, fuller, but still resolving and dynamic. No electronic haze anywhere in the background, exceedingly natural sounding. Similarities it shares with the Nirvana, in my opinion, are stage size and imaging. Female vocals are noticeably better on the Voila(with the Susvara).
I am good with the concept of a cable upgrade but a 5k cable is ludicrous to me unless you simply have so much discretionary income that it does not matter to you...the cable was perfectly fine to me but not worth an additional 4k over the danacable I already own...I can buy a new susvara for less than the cost of the cable, no way you can possibly justify that to me...others may disagree and that is fine

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #24,660 of 25,885
That’s the same reason as someone claiming 24K gold plated toilet helps them poop better compared to ceramic. But yea, 5K cables is just a scam to me. Unless they run pure gold and silver with enough weight to cost 4K then the 5K might make sense.
I get what you're saying, but you're also throwing in a straw man argument about the toilet. Whether the toilet is gold or not bring no utility (needing to go!). The cable is at least providing performance improvement.

How much you value that improvement is a personal thing. As well as how you are willing to pay for that.

My DHC Chimera brings a huge improvement over the stock > was it worth what I paid? Absolute bargain > Would I have paid more for it? Perhaps > Would I have paid the RRP? No way > Because I won't pay the RRP doesn't invalidate that the cable brings more listening pleasure to me.

So if all we're talking about here is a sliding scale of 'I'm willing to pay X amount for Y improvement', but someone else isn't, then I think you're being a little dismissive by calling them a scam. The cables take a lot of time and effort to make, and to say that the cable is only worth it if it uses 4k worth of materials is – frankly – very silly. What about the time to manufacture? There's a reason people wait months to receive their cables. They aren't thrown together in an afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back