HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 10, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #24,406 of 26,630
I see no need to buy a susvara 2 personally. The susvara is just about the perfect headphone for me. I can imagine it getting better but out of all the headphones I've had susvara is consistently the one I reach for the msot and my favorite. Abyss ab 1266 phi tc is a close second and nearly a tie. In some ways the Abyss is better but it's just trade offs at this point.
They are my fav 2 headpbones and agree yeh.

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #24,407 of 26,630
I listened to it and was told it was the same amp as the EF1000 with the DAC built into the housing...I was told it does not have the speaker output but that it has the same power output for headphones as the EF1000...that is what I was told I cannot confirm other than what I was told
No that is not correct.
The EF1000DAC has a different Pre-Amp and Power Amp to the EF1000.
It is not physically possible to house the same Pre-Amp & Power Amp and the large separate DC Power Supply that the EF1000 has into the unit of the EF1000.
The EF1000 has a far greater power output i.e. 20W into a 32Ohms resistance headphone (for both the balanced and single ended headphone outputs) and 50W (Class A) and 100W (Class A/B) for an 8 Ohm resistance Speaker.
The EF1000DAC only has 13.7W into a 32Ohms resistance headphone for the balanced headphone output and 7W into a 32Ohms resistance / load for the single ended headphone output.
The values I have quoted above are from the published HifiMan Specs.

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #24,408 of 26,630
Curious is an easy-drive version release will lower the price of the Susvara? I can hope.

Considering the easier to drive version is not as good sonically as original, I highly doubt. Susvara second hand price is rather low already.

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #24,409 of 26,630
I see no need to buy a susvara 2 personally. The susvara is just about the perfect headphone for me. I can imagine it getting better but out of all the headphones I've had susvara is consistently the one I reach for the most and my favorite. Abyss ab 1266 phi tc is a close second and nearly a tie. In some ways the Abyss is better but it's just a trade off at this point.
They have to better the susvara someday lol

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #24,412 of 26,630
They have to better the susvara someday lol
What would they need to do to Sus to better it? - agree not the tuning. Better headband, cabling, connectors (more secure). Leave the drivers alone would be my advice. I can see the motivation on their part to make a Sus Jr, somewhere between Susvara and HEKSE. Anymore though, when one can buy a pair of Susvara for <$4k USD (try to find an open box 1266 for that price), and it’s already legendary good- what is the thing needed to increase sales? “If it’s not broke don’t fix it”.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #24,413 of 26,630
I can imagine an improved Susvara. It doesn't have much of a black background, or rich tonal colors, and needs a more engaging midrange. This, compared to Abyss and Meze.

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #24,415 of 26,630
interesting news about a potential susvara 2. i wonder if hifiman will dispense with the 24k gold traces? perhaps that's why it would be easier to drive and less expensive. let the baseless speculation begin. :wink:

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #24,416 of 26,630
I can imagine an improved Susvara. It doesn't have much of a black background, or rich tonal colors, and needs a more engaging midrange. This, compared to Abyss and Meze.
Have you actually owned those headphones? The midrange of susvara is much more engaging than Abyss in my oppinion. The tonal richness of susvara also exceeds abyss. I have both Susvara and Abyss ab 1266 phi tc. The abyss exceeds at soundstage, mid bass, and technical performance. However the abyss lacks the tonal richness, and realistic timbre of the susvara in most music. Abyss does excell in realism when it comes to ambient soundtracks, movies and gaming.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #24,417 of 26,630
I think the best way to innovate is to for 3D sounds in a headphone. What we have right now is very crude. I still use my 7.1 speaker systems for videos and spatial music. Sure the sound is great but having detailed 3D rendering would be awesome.

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #24,418 of 26,630
No that is not correct.
The EF1000DAC has a different Pre-Amp and Power Amp to the EF1000.
It is not physically possible to house the same Pre-Amp & Power Amp and the large separate DC Power Supply that the EF1000 has into the unit of the EF1000.
The EF1000 has a far greater power output i.e. 20W into a 32Ohms resistance headphone (for both the balanced and single ended headphone outputs) and 50W (Class A) and 100W (Class A/B) for an 8 Ohm resistance Speaker.
The EF1000DAC only has 13.7W into a 32Ohms resistance headphone for the balanced headphone output and 7W into a 32Ohms resistance / load for the single ended headphone output.
The values I have quoted above are from the published HifiMan Specs.
ok, fine that is as much power as needed for headphones...I listened to it...drove the susvara without issue fwiiw

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #24,419 of 26,630
I don't think a slightly different tuning would work for me.

An HE-1 tuning with Susvara technicalities would be the Susvara 2 for me. Biggest complaint that I have with HE-1 is the soundstage being a bit intimate for my tastes. An in-between bass tuning from HE-1 and Susvara is my ideal one though

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #24,420 of 26,630
An HE-1 tuning with Susvara technicalities would be the Susvara 2 for me. Biggest complaint that I have with HE-1 is the soundstage being a bit intimate for my tastes. An in-between bass tuning from HE-1 and Susvara is my ideal one though
I must have missed something. Where did this talk of a follow-on to the Susvara come from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back