HiFiMan Susvara
Feb 3, 2024 at 10:58 PM Post #23,761 of 25,614
It’s not in the least bit off topic. Desiring some kind of validation external to our own experiences is understandable, of course, but my point was that I don’t understand why people put that external validation above their own experiences. Music’s function in life is profound and emotive and sometimes deeply personal. For me, the final arbiter of worth, value, effectiveness, etc, is in how engaged I am with those aspects of music that enrich, move, tear down, build up teach.

The very nature of how we approach our hifi systems in terms of equipment, cabling, rooms and upgrades is to feed that thing that only music can do for us. So, to deny the very human reaction we’re chasing is indeed, in my eyes, directly on topic.
i must have mistaken the hifiman susvara thread for the 'anything that validates the human hi fi experience' thread. anyway, i intend to give the susvara another audition this week after i audition the empyrean 2, which i'm looking forward to trying. i won't be able to do a side by side comparison, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #23,762 of 25,614
i must have mistaken the hifiman susvara thread for the 'anything that validates the human hi fi experience' thread
Yeah, I think if you scroll back you’ll see I was trying to contribute directly to the conversation about cables for Susvara and the allocation of funds in different circumstances. That was replied to and I replied directly to that. Then you swept in sarcastically. I remained polite and tried to rephrase for clarity. You came back with sarcasm.
Whatever dawg.

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #23,763 of 25,614
Yeah, I think if you scroll back you’ll see I was trying to contribute directly to the conversation about cables for Susvara and the allocation of funds in different circumstances. That was replied to and I replied directly to that. Then you swept in sarcastically. I remained polite and tried to rephrase for clarity. You came back with sarcasm.
Whatever dawg.
i read your posts and recall that you apologized for being 'ranty' in one of them. you went off-topic there. carry on regardless, er, bro.

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #23,764 of 25,614
i read your posts and recall that you apologized for being 'ranty' in one of them. you went off-topic there. carry on regardless, er, bro.
No, I apologised if it seemed ranty, but assured it was convivial. However, I can agree it was probably a bit off topic. My apologies. Perhaps you could’ve mentioned that instead of being sarcastic and belittling. Costs nothing to be nice.

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #23,765 of 25,614
No, I apologised if it seemed ranty, but assured it was convivial. However, I can agree it was probably a bit off topic. My apologies. Perhaps you could’ve mentioned that instead of being sarcastic and belittling. Costs nothing to be nice.
fine. let's move on from this.

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #23,768 of 25,614
I can guarantee, if we weren’t typing behind the safety of our keyboards and screens, this interaction would have been much more friendly. Come on guys, we’re fellow enthusiasts.

Feb 4, 2024 at 1:27 AM Post #23,769 of 25,614
So I am currently listening to my Sussies with everything downsampled to 44.1kHz which is allowing me to use the AutoEQ convolution filters no matter what I listen to. Then, I am running it through crossfeed. How evil am I?

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #23,771 of 25,614
So I am currently listening to my Sussies with everything downsampled to 44.1kHz which is allowing me to use the AutoEQ convolution filters no matter what I listen to. Then, I am running it through crossfeed. How evil am I?
They don't make convolution filters that work at other sample rates?

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #23,772 of 25,614
Feb 4, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #23,773 of 25,614
IN MY SETUP, with the susvaras i did not personally find the diamond as a cable i would necessarily describe as fat or thick in sound.
more as a brightly/lively etched sound in its bringing out of details.

This In my setup as well. That's why I use the cheapest AQ Pearl where I did not find anything missing from the Diamond except it sounds more natural and believable than the Diamond. Solid piece of wire conductor rather than multiple strands sounds more natural in my system hence me sticking with AQ.

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #23,774 of 25,614
Its't hard to measure cables and measure difference in:
  1. Capacity
  2. Resistance
  3. Induction
  4. Impedance
  5. Conductance
SQ OTOH is impossible to measure, but this goes for all types of hifi gear.

https://www.alpha-audio.net/review/...s-real-measurements-samples-and-blind-test/2/
I agree. There are tangibles and intangibles in practically everything. Not everything can be explained or quantified universally. Someone’s preference for music cannot be measured scientifically and someone’s preference for sound characteristics can’t be measured.

Feb 4, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #23,775 of 25,614
They don't make convolution filters that work at other sample rates?
Nah, the AutoEQ ones are just 44.1 and 48.
I agree. There are tangibles and intangibles in practically everything. Not everything can be explained or quantified universally. Someone’s preference for music cannot be measured scientifically and someone’s preference for sound characteristics can’t be measured.
We're talking about $4000 cables that "add bass". Passive devices can only attenuate. If bass is being added, show me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back