HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 21, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #22,922 of 26,706
Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #22,923 of 26,706
I just bought a new set. I asked about when susvara v2 would come out. My authorized dealer told me when a product is so good and popular they don’t want/dear to make changes to it.

Dec 21, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #22,924 of 26,706
Hello guys i'm currently on the HE6SE V2 which I preffered over the Arya and also prefered over the HE1000SE (didn't like the peaky treble of the SE).
I absolutely love the smoothness of the HE6SE V2 and meatyness of the mids and midbass, also the lowbass goes very deep.
The only thing the HE60SE V2 "lacking" compared to the HE1000SE is the soundstage width and heigth. I mean it's not really lacking but directly compared to the HE1000 it's smaller.

The only headphone I haven't tried is the Susvara.

I'm listening alot to metal and psy-trance, more energetic genres of music with other words.
In my area I don't really have the option to go audition them so I always needs to buy them and send them back (which I don't really like to do)

Do you think there is a chance I would love the Susvara more than the HE6SE V2? Does the Susvara sound like a more refined HE6SE V2 with bigger stage or am I wrong?
I'm driving my HE6SEV2 with a luxman class A speaker amp and the hifiman HE-adapter so I guess I can drive without too much issues.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #22,925 of 26,706
Hello guys i'm currently on the HE6SE V2 which I preffered over the Arya and also prefered over the HE1000SE (didn't like the peaky treble of the SE).
I absolutely love the smoothness of the HE6SE V2 and meatyness of the mids and midbass, also the lowbass goes very deep.

The only headphone I haven't tried is the Susvara.

I'm listening alot to metal and psy-trance, more energetic genres of music with other words.
In my area I don't really have the option to go audition them so I always needs to buy them and send them back (which I don't really like to do)

Do you think there is a chance I would love the Susvara more than the HE6SE V2?
I'm driving my HE6SEV2 with a luxman class A speaker amp and the hifiman HE-adapter so I guess I can drive without too much issues.
I jumped from the HE6SEv2 to the Susvara.

The Susvara is an improvement in every way.

Dec 21, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #22,926 of 26,706
I just bought a new set. I asked about when susvara v2 would come out. My authorized dealer told me when a product is so good and popular they don’t want/dear to make changes to it.
I've been pleasantly surprised, given Hifiman's release history, that the Susvara has remained a mainstay in their lineup.
It makes sense, though. There isn't much outside of build quality that they could realistically improve.

The only "Susvara 2" I would purchase is one with more premium materials, a slightly reduced weight, and maybe a sub-bass shelf of a couple of dB.
I'd love to see Hifiman use a mix of magnesium and carbon fiber, along with more premium (built to last) lambskin ear pads and a more easily replaceable headband, made of higher-quality materials.

Dec 21, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #22,928 of 26,706
I've been pleasantly surprised, given Hifiman's release history, that the Susvara has remained a mainstay in their lineup.
It makes sense, though. There isn't much outside of build quality that they could realistically improve.

The only "Susvara 2" I would purchase is one with more premium materials, a slightly reduced weight, and maybe a sub-bass shelf of a couple of dB.
I'd love to see Hifiman use a mix of magnesium and carbon fiber, along with more premium (built to last) lambskin ear pads and a more easily replaceable headband, made of higher-quality materials.

Personally, I don’t see the need for a boost in the sub-bass, I think that is one of the many great things about it. The only area I would like to see changed would be the mids, mostly just the vocals, however I don’t ever see them doing that. The slight recess of mids is a Hifiman house sound.

Totally agree on the build quality and material, though. Even if they kept the sonic characteristics pretty much the exact same, a more premium build would absolutely be welcome.

Dec 21, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #22,929 of 26,706
Personally, I don’t see the need for a boost in the sub-bass, I think that is one of the many great things about it. The only area I would like to see changed would be the mids, mostly just the vocals, however I don’t ever see them doing that. The slight recess of mids is a Hifiman house sound.

Totally agree on the build quality and material, though. Even if they kept the sonic characteristics pretty much the exact same, a more premium build would absolutely be welcome.
Interesting I feel the mids are the most resolving and whole bodied. It is the reason I like Susvara. No headphone(I have tried) has the authority over the mids like Susvara imo.

What DAC are you using?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #22,930 of 26,706
Interesting I feel the mids are the most resolving and whole bodied. It is the reason I like Susvara. No headphone(I have tried) has the authority over the mids like Susvara imo.

What DAC are you using?

I’m using the Ferrum Wandla.

Really, there’s nothing “wrong” with the mids and vocals, in fact, they are quite good on the Susvara, but I think I prefer just a bit more mid presence. The Warwick Bravura really spoiled me on vocals, which I still feel is the best vocals in the market (this is a heavily preferential statement). Susvara does mids really well, but I think it’s just slightly better on the Bravura; it’s really sweet and magical, to me. However, I agree with you, Susvara has fantastic mid-clarity and resolution, for sure, that rivals the very best e-stats.

Dec 21, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #22,931 of 26,706
I’m using the Ferrum Wandla.

Really, there’s nothing “wrong” with the mids and vocals, in fact, they are quite good on the Susvara, but I think I prefer just a bit more mid presence. The Warwick Bravura really spoiled me on vocals, which I still feel is the best vocals in the market (this is a heavily preferential statement). Susvara does mids really well, but I think it’s just slightly better on the Bravura; it’s really sweet and magical, to me. However, I agree with you, Susvara has fantastic mid-clarity and resolution, for sure, that rivals the very best e-stats.

You won't get the Susvara mids magic with SS amps. That's why I use a 1-2 watt KT66 triode strapped SET amp for that and they're only 1/2 the price of OOR+Hypsos. I sacrificed the sheer macrodynamic grip of SS amps for that magical mids and superlative treble definition of tubes

Dec 21, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #22,932 of 26,706
You won't get the Susvara mids magic with SS amps. That's why I use a 1-2 watt KT66 triode strapped SET amp for that and they're only 1/2 the price of OOR+Hypsos. I sacrificed the sheer macrodynamic grip of SS amps for that magical mids and superlative treble definition of tubes

Definitely understand and agree. Vocals, while very, very important, aren’t enough to make me want to ultimately sacrifice macro dynamics to achieve. So presently the Oor+Hypsos fit the bill for what I am mostly after. I will need to step into significantly more expensive tube amps to get both. I didn’t get a chance to hear the Susvara on the WA33 or WA23, but heard those amps with other headphones. I think that’s the direction I’m desiring to go, maybe sometime next year. Or a tube pre with an SS amp. Too many options… :L3000:

Dec 21, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #22,933 of 26,706
I agree to experience a more "visible" mid-section of Susvara, tubes is where it is, from my small experience with it. Its a different experience that makes you want to, search for another good alternative setup which is tube.

Yeah that is a different type of headphone where vocals are even more resolving I assume, but lacks other things that Susvara has?

I always try hard to hear difference between Susvara and other headphones. I like some headphones for their weakness, and others for the strength.
----

Susvara is such an open headphone, it is interesting to the point I know the relaxation comes from the open and endless soundstage illusion. This is the first thing that caught me. Soundstage opens up as the volume goes up. The most important thing that took me long to understand about Susvara was: It delivers a more accurate representation of the musical emotions = Slow sweet soft transients?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #22,934 of 26,706
I tried an oyaide tunami gpx power cable for my dac and amp. And it made the sound smoother with more bass. It’s almost like upgrading a component. I previously tried some other cables and often they make the sound thinner and more bright.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #22,935 of 26,706
Yeah that is a different type of headphone where vocals are even more resolving I assume, but lacks other things that Susvara has?

It isn’t that Vocals are more resolving. It’s that they’re more engaging and palpable rather than precise and accurate to the original source. If you have tried the KT66 amp on any transducer, they have this grit/harmonics on the vocals and string instruments that gives them a palpable sensation. I think that’s what @Aetherhole is looking for since Bravura and even Aperio have those traits from my short demo with them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back