HiFiMan Susvara
Nov 9, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #22,591 of 25,649
FCD210FB-EBB8-4740-B451-60FC62B62B13.jpeg

Bought the Susvara to A/B/C compare with the D8000 Pro LE and Abyss 1266 Phi TC…. Haven’t gotten to compare yet cause I can’t put the Susvara down 😂

It’s a strangely good and addicting sound. Certainly there are headphones that are better than it in different specific aspects, but I would say few if any are as good overall.

Nov 10, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #22,592 of 25,649
Bought the Susvara to A/B/C compare with the D8000 Pro LE and Abyss 1266 Phi TC…. Haven’t gotten to compare yet cause I can’t put the Susvara down 😂

It’s a strangely good and addicting sound. Certainly there are headphones that are better than it in different specific aspects, but I would say few if any are as good overall.
I had the same line-up. Sold the 1266 as it was too aggressive for me. Susvara + D8Kpro LE does everything I want nowadays. And the Sus takes EQ like a champ. Add some bass and it's even better than 1266 in that departement

Nov 10, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #22,593 of 25,649

There's something about the susvara that just sounds right. It really is addicting. Vocals, strings, drums and winds all sound incredible. From edm to classical to pop everything just sounds great off the susvara. Especially when you really get adapted to its signature then you can appreciate the intoxicating nuances it presents.

The abyss ab 1266 phi tc is awesome at a lot of music because of its huge open soundstage, thunderous bass, and precision detail. I love the abyss for most music and often listen to music with both the abyss and susvara. I switch between them on new music.

The susvara is a more inimate experience with beautiful detail while switching to the abyss the soundstage immediately pulls back. Some tracks off the susvara I can hear the recording room while off the abyss it sounds live like I'm listening from a 1000 foot wide stage at a huge outdoor venue with the highest end speakers and amps.

Nov 10, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #22,594 of 25,649
There's something about the susvara that just sounds right. It really is addicting. Vocals, strings, drums and winds all sound incredible. From edm to classical to pop everything just sounds great off the susvara. Especially when you really get adapted to its signature then you can appreciate the intoxicating nuances it presents.

The abyss ab 1266 phi tc is awesome at a lot of music because of its huge open soundstage, thunderous bass, and precision detail. I love the abyss for most music and often listen to music with both the abyss and susvara. I switch between them on new music.

The susvara is a more inimate experience with beautiful detail while switching to the abyss the soundstage immediately pulls back. Some tracks off the susvara I can hear the recording room while off the abyss it sounds live like I'm listening from a 1000 foot wide stage at a huge outdoor venue with the highest end speakers and amps.
This is a great way to describe the differences 👍

Nov 10, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #22,596 of 25,649
Riviera AIC-10 seems to have had a hugh price hike and now wonder if it is worth the upgrade. I am looking to move over to a tube amp from my ENLUEM 23R paired with Susvara for a more holographic sound stage.

In the $10-15k new price range would the EF1000 or Feliks Envy performance with tube upgrade to say Elrog MO be better in this regard. I would need to hear a major upgrade in SQ with Riviera to justify another $10 k more investment.
I have had both as well .1266 & Susvara. Enjoyed both and did the back and forth thing for a while. So in the end with the if you can only have one on a desert island senecio it is the Susvara. The power of the 1266 is intoxicating for sure. However if you invest in the right amp to pair with the Susvara IMHO there is no comparison overall as with Susvara In that amp senerio I find no compromising in any area. It lacks for nothing including real life like intense bass. I spent the last several months with a number of different systems( at a cost) and I have finally got to my 2023 end game.

Susvara
HiFiman EF 1000 amp (made for Susvara)
Lina Dac

It really has a transcending ability to get totally lost in the music and feeling the music with both finesse and dynamics when called for. I find it is the closest to uncolored, un-compromised presentation of all the music.

Nov 10, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #22,597 of 25,649
I have had both as well .1266 & Susvara. Enjoyed both and did the back and forth thing for a while. So in the end with the if you can only have one on a desert island senecio it is the Susvara. The power of the 1266 is intoxicating for sure. However if you invest in the right amp to pair with the Susvara IMHO there is no comparison overall as with Susvara In that amp senerio I find no compromising in any area. It lacks for nothing including real life like intense bass. I spent the last several months with a number of different systems( at a cost) and I have finally got to my 2023 end game.

Susvara
Lina Dac

It really has a transcending ability to get totally lost in the music and feeling the music with both finesse and dynamics when called for. I find it is the closest to uncolored, un-compromised presentation of all the music.
I’ve been pondering something as I’ve followed this thread, which I ask of you who have found your ‘end game’ Susvara system- has your satisfaction lasted, stood the test of time- say a year? I ask this because of the tendency of the human brain to habituate to novel stimuli, and especially the dopamine centers, which are always looking for yet another stronger ‘fix’- which is to say, if I cash in some of my retirement investments and purchase one of these Uber-expensive systems, how likely am I to experience real, settled, lasting joy in the Susvara? And will it have been “worth it” compared to my very good (if not summit fi) chain. My assertion is that if I am fully satisfied with where I am, contentment with that is no bad thing. There will always be something “out there” I may be missing out on. Many of those things could ruin me if I pursue them. As a Greek sage once wrote “ou pollu de polla” - not many things but much.

But that is not to besmirch the search for finding all you long for sonically via one of these systems. So I ask again, honestly and with no malice - has your joy stood the test of time?

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #22,598 of 25,649

Ha, looks like you've put together a very nice setup with some great HPs since we met. Glad to see you're trying out and enjoying Susvara. Many of us would describe Susvara as a fantastic all-rounder, doing so much incredibly well, even if it's not the best in any specific area. It doesn't stand out in the same way as the staging and bass on Abyss, etc., but it does do what it does very competently.

Looks like you're having a lot of fun. Enjoy!!

Nov 10, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #22,599 of 25,649
I’ve been pondering something as I’ve followed this thread, which I ask of you who have found your ‘end game’ Susvara system- has your satisfaction lasted, stood the test of time- say a year? I ask this because of the tendency of the human brain to habituate to novel stimuli, and especially the dopamine centers, which are always looking for yet another stronger ‘fix’- which is to say, if I cash in some of my retirement investments and purchase one of these Uber-expensive systems, how likely am I to experience real, settled, lasting joy in the Susvara? And will it have been “worth it” compared to my very good (if not summit fi) chain. My assertion is that if I am fully satisfied with where I am, contentment with that is no bad thing. There will always be something “it there” I may be missing out on. Many of those things could ruin me if I pursue them. As a Greek sage once wrote “ou pollu de polla” - not many things but much.
That's a psychology question that we can't answer. The gear won't change.

Nov 10, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #22,600 of 25,649
I think if like you you feel you have a need to try it .. then try it! Buy all from the same audio shop and return within 14days if its not a night a day difference. Yes the brain loves standout sounds ... the number of times i have bought bright systems to later regret my choices it is unreal! Yet the one thing i have learned to settle with is a tube system and susvaras. Im Cayin 300mk2 (elrog MO & Mullard Quad CV6) -> Holo May level 2 -> Susvara, not quite summit fi ... but OMG so realistic, holographic and right! When you finf yourself listening to 60's when you are a child of the 90's ... the refinement brought to those old sounds of motown is just awesome and beguiling. DO i still yearn to hear a Holo May level 3? Oh yes! Do i want an ef1000 ... oh yes! But, i dont have the budget to go onwards, so i choose to remain! (until the kids leave home!)

Nov 10, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #22,601 of 25,649
I’ve been pondering something as I’ve followed this thread, which I ask of you who have found your ‘end game’ Susvara system- has your satisfaction lasted, stood the test of time- say a year? I ask this because of the tendency of the human brain to habituate to novel stimuli, and especially the dopamine centers, which are always looking for yet another stronger ‘fix’- which is to say, if I cash in some of my retirement investments and purchase one of these Uber-expensive systems, how likely am I to experience real, settled, lasting joy in the Susvara? And will it have been “worth it” compared to my very good (if not summit fi) chain. My assertion is that if I am fully satisfied with where I am, contentment with that is no bad thing. There will always be something “it there” I may be missing out on. Many of those things could ruin me if I pursue them. As a Greek sage once wrote “ou pollu de polla” - not many things but much.

But that is not to besmirch the search for finding all you long for sonically via one of these systems. So I ask again, honestly and with no malice - has your joy stood the test of time?

This will depend on the individual as much as anything. There is a saying - success is getting what you want; happiness is liking what you get.

This may also be highly dependent on what type of music you like and your musical preference (e.g. if you are a bass head or are primarily into EDM, you may find other HPs align better). For me personally, i bought my Susvara in 2020. I built my main listening setup around the Susvara and it continues to be my primary. I have acquired other HPs since then (e.g. Nutopia, Bravura, sr1a, Caldera, Abyss) each of which I also enjoy, but the Susvara is still the one (sounds like a Shania Twain lyric...) I listen to most.

Nov 10, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #22,602 of 25,649
Is the Schiit Ragnarok 2 a suitable match for the Susvara?

Nov 10, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #22,603 of 25,649
He asked, "has your joy stood the test of time?".

In my case, the answer is an emphatic yes! Having followed most of the summit-fi headphone threads here for years, I daresay Susvara has an above-average track record of long-term user satisfaction. Obviously, some people have abandoned them for other cans, but (notably) there have been many reports of people later repurchasing Susvara as well.

FWIW.

Nov 10, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #22,604 of 25,649

Susvara
Lina Dac

Susvara has plenty of bass and slam. It is not bass light. I've found the abyss excells at video games and movies creating wide open realistic sound. If I had to keep one it would be the susvara but each one cannot match what the other does. They perfectly compliment eachother.

Playing a video game with the t+a dac 200 and Niimbus with ab 1266 phi tc really is something else. The sense of space and realism is spooky. I was playing a video game the other night where a thunderstorm hit and I tried using the abyss and susvara. The susvara just couldn't match the abyss in this regard. Listening to audio tracks where there were cop cars approaching I was convinced it was happening in real life and had to take off the abyss headphone to see what was happening. It was so real I was tricked twice from the same track.

Overall the susvara sounds more natural and realistic with gorgeous timbre, addictive and you can hear the recording room. The abyss opens the walls of the room and places you in the middle of the Brooklyn bridge where bustling traffic and sirens are going off around you.

If I had to choose one yes it would be the susvara for its absolutely incredible sound, punchy bass.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #22,605 of 25,649
Is the Schiit Ragnarok 2 a suitable match for the Susvara?

No. Susvara sounds unrefined with it, lacking finesse and grip, but it won't sound bad or weak per se. You'll need at least an Enelum 23R or Bakoon 13R at the minimum to make the Susvara compete at the top level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back