HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 26, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #22,201 of 25,619
Can anyone listen to the song Anette Askvik's Liberty. I'm worried that there is a channel imbalance on the Susvara. At 20 seconds into the song is when the vocals start, and I'm hearing her voice favor the right side slightly with the Susvara. I'm using qobuz for the track. Youtube sounded a little more centered for some reason. Just want to make sure it's the track and not the headphones or a channel imbalance somewhere. The strange thing is that the vocals on the track on the Utopia is centered.

This issue nearly drove me insane for a while. A lot of songs are not mixed with vocals being perfectly centered. This is especially noticeable on susvara though I notice it on all my headphones. I thought that I had channel imbalance, or something was wrong with my amp/dac, etc. After trying other susvaras and amps, dacs, etc. I just realized that a lot of the songs I listen to are just mixed that way. It still kind of drives me nuts though, so I'm glad that my preamp has the ability to +/- either channel, so I just center the vocals when listening.

Aug 27, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #22,202 of 25,619
This issue nearly drove me insane for a while. A lot of songs are not mixed with vocals being perfectly centered. This is especially noticeable on susvara though I notice it on all my headphones. I thought that I had channel imbalance, or something was wrong with my amp/dac, etc. After trying other susvaras and amps, dacs, etc. I just realized that a lot of the songs I listen to are just mixed that way. It still kind of drives me nuts though, so I'm glad that my preamp has the ability to +/- either channel, so I just center the vocals when listening.
First thing that came to mind was how a balance control helps maintain sanity.

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #22,203 of 25,619
Who has Mitch’s convolution filters? I find the Susvara excellent in my chain with tube and pad rolling.

Do these filters make Susvara sound even better?

Aug 27, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #22,204 of 25,619
Who has Mitch’s convolution filters? I find the Susvara excellent in my chain with tube and pad rolling.

Do these filters make Susvara sound even better?
"Different"? Certainly! "Better"? That depends on your preferences and how your chain responds to or implements the convolution filter's specifications, but I am guessing you know that already, even though I understand your need to inquire. Happens to us all. By the way, personally, I enjoy the convolution filters for certain tracks and occasions. For other occasions and tracks, I enjoy the Susvara as is (without any EQ or convolutions). I got that convolution filter (as I did all other filters) in order to have precisely this kind of flexibility in my choices, so they work for me either way. Just saying.

Aug 29, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #22,207 of 25,619
Anyone looking to purchase the new hifiman serenade/prelude? Wonder if 4w at 32ohm will be enough with the serenade. All in one to drive the susvara sounds very ideal.
I'm not sure about the Serenade being enough but the Prelude might have potential. A friend of mine @WaveTheory has them both in to review. I don't know when he'll get to those pieces, he said he's got quite a lot stacked in front of them.

It wouldn't be a surprise to me if Hifiman did want to get into the game to compete with Bliss and OOR.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #22,208 of 25,619
Anyone looking to purchase the new hifiman serenade/prelude? Wonder if 4w at 32ohm will be enough with the serenade. All in one to drive the susvara sounds very ideal.
They have 4W at 32 Ohm (11.3 V) but 760mW at 300 Ohm (15 V), so the higher the resistance, the higher the power.

Sadly there is no information about the power output at 60 Ohm, i assume around 12-13V (just an assumption though) so that should be enough to blow the driver, not sure though (i could find no official information from Hifiman, but most drivers are blown at 2000-2500mW). But its enough to drive them to 117-118db

But i assume you mean, if they have enough ""power"" to drive them linear, so they have good bass and good treble. That depends on the capacitor that Hifiman used. Sadly there is no information about the capacitors used, nor are there any technical specsheet about the amp chips.

So you can't know. The Power output only tells you how loud it is going to be, and it will be around 117-118db, but at that point, the driver will break (as your eardrum will do^^), if it is going to drive them well is something you can only find out when you wait for measurements or just buy it and test it for yourself.

Aug 30, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #22,209 of 25,619
They have 4W at 32 Ohm (11.3 V) but 760mW at 300 Ohm (15 V), so the higher the resistance, the higher the power.

Sadly there is no information about the power output at 60 Ohm, i assume around 12-13V (just an assumption though) so that should be enough to blow the driver, not sure though (i could find no official information from Hifiman, but most drivers are blown at 2000-2500mW). But its enough to drive them to 117-118db

But i assume you mean, if they have enough ""power"" to drive them linear, so they have good bass and good treble. That depends on the capacitor that Hifiman used. Sadly there is no information about the capacitors used, nor are there any technical specsheet about the amp chips.

So you can't know. The Power output only tells you how loud it is going to be, and it will be around 117-118db, but at that point, the driver will break (as your eardrum will do^^), if it is going to drive them well is something you can only find out when you wait for measurements or just buy it and test it for yourself.
Thank you. I was once naive and bought the ab1266 with what I thought was more than enough power to blow my eardrums. It could, but had no bass till I replaced it with some ridiculous amps that arched my ikea desks. I sold most my gear a while back and minimized to a he6se/fiio r7. Want to get back into TOTL stuff and dont want to make the same mistake again, losing money buying and selling amps. I was hoping that since its from hifiman, it must have some sort of synergy at minimum. 1k for R2R/class A to drive susvara does seem a little too good to be true. Prelude seems to be a better option disregarding price, but i really want to stay away from trying to fit large stacks on my desk. Maybe the shanling EM7 or EH3 will be better, but then again those are new and have no more info than the serenade does :frowning2:

Aug 30, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #22,210 of 25,619
Thank you. I was once naive and bought the ab1266 with what I thought was more than enough power to blow my eardrums. It could, but had no bass till I replaced it with some ridiculous amps that arched my ikea desks. I sold most my gear a while back and minimized to a he6se/fiio r7. Want to get back into TOTL stuff and dont want to make the same mistake again, losing money buying and selling amps. I was hoping that since its from hifiman, it must have some sort of synergy at minimum. 1k for R2R/class A to drive susvara does seem a little too good to be true. Prelude seems to be a better option disregarding price, but i really want to stay away from trying to fit large stacks on my desk. Maybe the shanling EM7 or EH3 will be better, but then again those are new and have no more info than the serenade does :frowning2:
But from personal experience, there exist tiny DAP with low power output, that have more linear power than giant amps. It all comes down to the capacitors, the amp and how everything is implemented.

Also the power output varies depending on how much power you draw from the capacitor. So some capacitors only provide linear power when you draw a lot of power, others only provide linear power when you do the opposite, depending on what type of capacitor it is and so on.

Analog Amps for example always draw the same amount of power from the capacitors and the volume control happens by lowering the volume afterwards with resistors (who also influence the sound, so the performance could change depending on the volume. Digital Amps do draw less power at lower volumes and more power at higher volumes, so with digital amps you need to take much more care about the capacitors than with analog amps.

But if you use the Gain Switch on Analog Amps, they do draw more power and could change the sound while digital amps, in reality, don't have an gain switch. Its just a digital remapping of the volume steps.

As you see, there are several aspects to it.

Do you have an Digital or Analog Amp. If you have an Analog amp, do you control the volume on the DAC or on the Amp? What Gain does the Amp run on and so on.

If you have an analog amp, you want to run them, in general (there are exceptions), on Low Gain and use an high input signal (high volume) on the DAC side. The higher the volume is on the amp side, the more power does the amp draw from the capacitors and so driving them harder at their limit which will cause them to be no longer able to provide linear power (also it heats them up which further changes their performance).

But if the Amp has too much power, which means you have insanely big capacitors, you don't want to drive them on low power because you're then not drawing enough power from them to make them perform well.

Its very complicated and a world for itself, that is why Sony implemented 21 wound capacitors (which is insane) in an 250mW DAP, so it does provide linear power at all volumes and gains. The more power you have, the more complicated does it get. So often times, the amp with less power will perform much better unless you really crank the volume to make you deaf. But big numbers on paper do sell well.

The 1300mW TA-ZH1ES for example sounds much thinner and weaker and has no bass whatsoever at lower volumes, compared to the 250mW NW-WM1 Series, even though it has much more power. You need to draw enough power from the capacitors to make it sound well. Which is not an issue as 1300mW is not an insane amount of power, so you can go to highter volumes, but yes. With some amps, its the exact opposite. The higher you push them, the worse they will sound and just start to distort and so on.

There are some amps (Like THX AAA) that can cope insanely well with varying capacitor power which is one of the reasons why i always recommend them (Especially the S.M.S.L SH-9 which uses the best THX AAA Amp that exists) but some people prefer an non-linear performance...

As much as i hate it to say, there is not much way around testing several products. But as a rule of thumb, more power doesn't automatically sound better. Cheap devices that are made simple often sounds better when they have more power because the higher power forces the maker to use better capacitors, but nothing speaks against using good capacitors with lower power devices (the best proof is the WM1 Series)

Aug 30, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #22,211 of 25,619
Does anyone here prefer AHB2 to holo bliss kte for susvara? I had the bliss kte for a while but sold it. While it was an amazing amp I noticed to my ears it had slightly rounded treble and I was hoping the ahb2 could give me a bit more dynamic range and maintain the treble peak without smoothing it too much.

My plan is to use the mjolnir 3 I recently purchased as a pre for ahb2. Yggy og a2 -> xlr to mjolnir 3 -> xlr to ahb2 -> susvara Or abyss ab 1266 phi tc.

Aug 30, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #22,215 of 25,619
Any oppinions on using two vidar 2 amps in monoblock mode to power susvara (and ab 1266) vs getting a used ahb2?
Be super careful with noisy switching "other components" ... My primare Pre-amp made loud clicks swtiching sources especially "OFF"... The Topping Pre-90 actually blew my Susvaras whilst using them on a power amp for simply changing from XLR to RCA via its menus. The click it put out was so loud it wiped out both drivers instantly. They were on my head at the time. Standard dynaimc drivers headphones didnt care ... nanometer planars did.

No such issues with the Cayin ha300-mk2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back