HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 28, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #20,656 of 26,386
In my understanding both the bliss and 430ha produce basically the same numbers with susvara ?

Attachments

• 25EFCB84-ECCB-4979-8E22-71ED76144770.jpeg
    25EFCB84-ECCB-4979-8E22-71ED76144770.jpeg
    404.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 4394203B-2A63-4BE8-B683-61CBBA8EB69B.jpeg
    4394203B-2A63-4BE8-B683-61CBBA8EB69B.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 28, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #20,657 of 26,386
Just for better understanding, what you mean by DNR, is it diff between lowest signal and highest signal on the track or diff between average signal of the track to highest signal on the track?
From lowest to highest sound pressure the dynamic range is very high. The DNR people here are referring to is the difference between average sound of the track to highest which is as you know a totally different thing and have nothing to do with how much peak power one amp needs.

Mar 28, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #20,658 of 26,386
Just for better understanding, what you mean by DNR, is it diff between lowest signal and highest signal on the track or diff between average signal of the track to highest signal on the track?
Good point. Let’s make sure we all have the correct definition. Dynamic Range ( DNR) is the difference between the loudest and softest passages in a song. Not the average.

An exact definition: “The dynamic range of any recording is defined as the ratio of the loudest peak to the quietest, expressed in decibels (dB).”

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #20,660 of 26,386
Honestly I think they are all good. FSS is the better "stock". Velour more rounded but loses attack/punch/slam/sub bass. Elite SS is harder hitting. Calms down the treble but feels more enclosed. Elite Hybrids are a great balance but can sound a little harsh depending on recording and gear. My gear is more on the incisive side.
Kept the FSS and Elite Hybrids. Very impressed with the FSS right now. Love that wide soundstage. I haven't gone back to stock for over 1 year.

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #20,661 of 26,386
In my understanding both the bliss and 430ha produce basically the same numbers with susvara ?
Even the zahl wich is supposed to be king with the susvaras, have much lower Numbers than 430ha and Bliss.

Attachments

• 7AADADC8-363F-4F09-A7F8-0F5FBDDB3468.jpeg
    7AADADC8-363F-4F09-A7F8-0F5FBDDB3468.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 29, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #20,662 of 26,386
Colleagues
Considering Schiit Vidar 2 mono blocks to pair with Sus, initially using Burson 3XP as a pre-amp since that one has a fully differential balanced design.

Questions
1) Vidar- @Sajid Amit reported earlier in the thread that users had reported using Vidar as a speaker amp for Susvara, not sure though if any have done so using them as mono blocks (400 W per channel into 8 ohms so presumably 50 W into 64 ohms). Has anyone active in the thread tried to use them, if so what was your user impression SQ wise with Sus? (Vidar 2 impressions most desired but Vidar 1 also appreciated)

2) Connecting - my inclination is to go with LQI banana to 4-pin XLR cable from Vidar to Sus rather than HE- adapter to minimize possible interruptions in the signal path, but the question then is - ‘how best/ most safely to connect the Sus?’

My proposed approach (for this or any speaker amp) would be
1) Connect all interconnects while DAC-preamp-speaker amp units are powered off.
2) Power on DAC- preamp- speaker amp to warm up (however much desired/makes sense given the particular device- I will be using Yggdrasil so will minimize the time it is powered off).
3) Turn volume /gain as low as possible and mute the pre-amp.
4) Plug Sus 4-pin cable into female 4-pin of the LQI cable
5) un-mute the pre-amp and increase volume to desired level while listening. If volume or gain is insufficient from speaker amp at this step to give listening level of volume , reverse the process ie turn volume back down, mute the pre-amp and unplug Sus before changing gain on the pre-amp to avoid any voltage spikes that may occur when changing gain while Sus is plugged in.
6) try all this out with an inexpensive headphone before doing so with Sus- I will probably use my Drop 6XX as a test case -though not sure that a 300 ohm high sensitivity hp is the best test case?

Anyone see any problem with this approach?

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #20,663 of 26,386
Been talking with Bryan at zynsonix and got my setup finally complete! Speaker to xlr adapter box and isolation platform custom for the AHB2. I've tried a couple other adapters including making my own and nothing competes with this setup! I've never heard my susvara better.
How is the sound of the Zynsonix Adapter Box compared to a strait wire connected to the Benchmark AHB2 with Speak-On connector

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #20,664 of 26,386
Colleagues
Considering Schiit Vidar 2 mono blocks to pair with Sus, initially using Burson 3XP as a pre-amp since that one has a fully differential balanced design.

Questions
1) Vidar- @Sajid Amit reported earlier in the thread that users had reported using Vidar as a speaker amp for Susvara, not sure though if any have done so using them as mono blocks (400 W per channel into 8 ohms so presumably 50 W into 64 ohms). Has anyone active in the thread tried to use them, if so what was your user impression SQ wise with Sus? (Vidar 2 impressions most desired but Vidar 1 also appreciated)

2) Connecting - my inclination is to go with LQI banana to 4-pin XLR cable from Vidar to Sus rather than HE- adapter to minimize possible interruptions in the signal path, but the question then is - ‘how best/ most safely to connect the Sus?’

My proposed approach (for this or any speaker amp) would be
1) Connect all interconnects while DAC-preamp-speaker amp units are powered off.
2) Power on DAC- preamp- speaker amp to warm up (however much desired/makes sense given the particular device- I will be using Yggdrasil so will minimize the time it is powered off).
3) Turn volume /gain as low as possible and mute the pre-amp.
4) Plug Sus 4-pin cable into female 4-pin of the LQI cable
5) un-mute the pre-amp and increase volume to desired level while listening. If volume or gain is insufficient from speaker amp at this step to give listening level of volume , reverse the process ie turn volume back down, mute the pre-amp and unplug Sus before changing gain on the pre-amp to avoid any voltage spikes that may occur when changing gain while Sus is plugged in.
6) try all this out with an inexpensive headphone before doing so with Sus- I will probably use my Drop 6XX as a test case -though not sure that a 300 ohm high sensitivity hp is the best test case?

Anyone see any problem with this approach?
I've never heard the Vidar (either version), so can't give you any feedback there. You might want to start with a single unit to see if you like the pairing with the Susvara, and then possibly buy another for a monoblock setup.

I've run directly from the speaker taps (with a female XLR adapter) for a few years with zero issues, although I use spades instead of bananas for a more secure connection. You don't need to disconnect the headphone from the power amp during power cycles unless you hear a significant pop or click. This is caused by a transient DC offset, and will vary between amps. Generally speaking, the power amp should be turned off for safety whenever upstream components are power-cycled or interconnects are changed. If your amp has a gain switch, start on the lowest setting. You can always increase it to optimize the usable volume range on your preamp, if necessary.

Mar 29, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #20,665 of 26,386
Susvara 's ability to scale with higher quality up front gear is true, the Susvara will never be the bottle neck for you. Every changes you made to the chain is worth every penny and will be reflected by the Susvara.
No pun intended. Susvara is a mature/laidback sound, it´s not an allrounder for me, I like certain songs on it, like when Im hangover, coffee in the morning, where I need something relaxing and authentic, its a weekend thing for me. You can compare it to Arya which is very energetic and fast responding, like a party. It all depends on the music, Susvara is not for everybody. I won´t recommend Susvara for fast pace music EDM or that type. It is too laidback character, and it is not related to amp, current or whatever. Most people here search for that "fast thing" in Susvara, which actually cheaper headphones got, and Susvara DON´T. In the start I was thinking the term was "dull" sounding but I finally got to know Susvara, its the master of slow authentic music, laidback sound. The details of slow pace tracks is goosebumps on Susvara, the amount of information is another dimension compared to Arya. But on the other end, fast pace music is where Arya shines. Its just what it is sometimes.

Try it and see for yourself's

For me the sweetspot for Susvara is a very balanced/leveled dac, where all the information is edible to the ear without distractions on very low comfortable volume level, I am not kidding sometimes I am at 25/100 volume and I think to myself, wow! the amount of information in the songs. But then I figured it out, susvara is meant to play these types of tracks imo, slow pace music. Chill music, happy music. coffee jazz kinda genres also. guitars, authentic.

On Arya I don´t like slow pace, it has be something that keeps pushing the headphones, specially in the mids which Chord TT2 does very wide and beautiful. I can not listen to relaxing songs on it, because its character to me is formless, energetic. With slow songs its like I can hear the songs are too slow for its character. The same thing I feel about Susvara, slow is magic.

Pairing is key ofcourse but the headphone is what it is. The better the pairing the better the character is emphasized.

Mar 29, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #20,666 of 26,386
No pun intended. Susvara is a mature/laidback sound, it´s not an allrounder for me, I like certain songs on it, like when Im hangover, coffee in the morning, where I need something relaxing and authentic, its a weekend thing for me. You can compare it to Arya which is very energetic and fast responding, like a party. It all depends on the music, Susvara is not for everybody. I won´t recommend Susvara for fast pace music EDM or that type. It is too laidback character, and it is not related to amp, current or whatever. Most people here search for that "fast thing" in Susvara, which actually cheaper headphones got, and Susvara DON´T. In the start I was thinking the term was "dull" sounding but I finally got to know Susvara, its the master of slow authentic music, laidback sound. The details of slow pace tracks is goosebumps on Susvara, the amount of information is another dimension compared to Arya. But on the other end, fast pace music is where Arya shines. Its just what it is sometimes.

Try it and see for yourself's

For me the sweetspot for Susvara is a very balanced/leveled dac, where all the information is edible to the ear without distractions on very low comfortable volume level, I am not kidding sometimes I am at 25/100 volume and I think to myself, wow! the amount of information in the songs. But then I figured it out, susvara is meant to play these types of tracks imo, slow pace music. Chill music, happy music. coffee jazz kinda genres also. guitars, authentic.

On Arya I don´t like slow pace, it has be something that keeps pushing the headphones, specially in the mids which Chord TT2 does very wide and beautiful. I can not listen to relaxing songs on it, because its character to me is formless, energetic. With slow songs its like I can hear the songs are too slow for its character. The same thing I feel about Susvara, slow is magic.

Pairing is key ofcourse but the headphone is what it is. The better the pairing the better the character is emphasized.
maybe not for you but for me Susvara is great with fast trance music, miles ahead of the Arya.

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #20,667 of 26,386
maybe not for you but for me Susvara is great with fast trance music, miles ahead of the Arya.
I listen to Infected Mushrooms also and that types of stuff. Susvara is greater on details etc. thats not my point.

Arya is fragile and formless, very "simpel" sounding, respond better on the tempo for me, sorry I should use me more. Generalizing is never good :)

But the amount of details Susvara has is too overwhelming on fast tempos....for me. Maybe some would recognize this

Mar 29, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #20,668 of 26,386
Even the zahl wich is supposed to be king with the susvaras, have much lower Numbers than 430ha and Bliss.
forget the numbers, I used to have the 430 years ago...it was ok at the time and while it has ample power,despite never having heard the bliss I would bet good money it is a far better amp....2 amps can both have similar "numbers" and one be dramatically better...listen dont read

Mar 29, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #20,669 of 26,386
the ability to play loud has absolutely to do with how an amp sounds with the susvara..I do not understand why people referring to this silly discussion...while it is true that lower powered amps can sound better than higher powered amps for sure the ability to play loud is not an indication of the quality of an amp
No argument. But having a reserve of power with very low distortion would be an indication of a well built amp which has the potential to sound good vs one that might have no power reserve to handle any transients.

There is no substitute for listening though. Even the best manufacturers listen as they create their amps.

Mar 30, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #20,670 of 26,386
I just wouldn't even bother connecting my Susvaras to an Amp that can only give out 20W into 8 Ohms !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back