HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 27, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #20,626 of 25,624
For various reasons, I haven't listened to my Susvara very much in the past year, but decided to put them on yesterday night and started listening and didn't realize how late I was staying up! :D Woke up this morning, and have had it on my head most of the day so far, listening to the new Nickel Creek album. This headphone still does acoustic music so well. I love.
:beerchug::beerchug:

Mar 27, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #20,627 of 25,624
Mar 27, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #20,629 of 25,624
How much does it need to shine ? Example the Zahl hm1 was it 2-3W?
It depends on your age (mostly how loud you listen). If I listen loud i'm at 93dB peaks in the bass, which is a whopping 10 milliWatts of power for the bass notes and much, much less in the midrange. In my case you'd rather have an amp that does 1 Watt but extremely clean than a dirty amp that can do 10 Watt.
However when I let an older gentleman demo my gear he wanted to rock out at 115 dB peaks (just for one song!). That already requires 2 Watts of power, but going higher is not unheard off (your ears are extremely insensitive in the subbass region). The volume was completely unlistenable for me when I tried it, I'd never need that much power (maybe in 30 years!).

I'm slowly starting to believe that this Evan guy and his Ifi Go Blu just has very sensitive hearing.

Mar 27, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #20,630 of 25,624
It depends on your age (mostly how loud you listen). If I listen loud i'm at 93dB peaks in the bass, which is a whopping 10 milliWatts of power for the bass notes and much, much less in the midrange. In my case you'd rather have an amp that does 1 Watt but extremely clean than a dirty amp that can do 10 Watt.
However when I let an older gentleman demo my gear he wanted to rock out at 115 dB peaks (just for one song!). That already requires 2 Watts of power, but going higher is not unheard off (your ears are extremely insensitive in the subbass region). The volume was completely unlistenable for me when I tried it, I'd never need that much power (maybe in 30 years!).

I'm slowly starting to believe that this Evan guy and his Ifi Go Blu just has very sensitive hearing.

Someone listening at 115dB shouldn't invalidate people who listen at normal levels.

Most music have low DR nowadays so one doesn't even need to over 89dB peaks on such. So 93dB to 99dB is all the headroom you need for normally loud playback and the Go Blu does cover this.

Mar 27, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #20,632 of 25,624
Susvara don't need power per se, they need an amp with strong "instant current" capabilities. A more powerful amp typically has more current reserve, but some lower power amps also have strong current delivery. One such amp is the Vinnie Rossi LIO: its headphone amp put many high powered amps to shame (e.g. Ferrum Oor) despite being "only" 1W @ 32ohm. Its Ultracap power supply with extremely low output impedance and high current reserve certainly has something to do with it.

Mar 27, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #20,634 of 25,624
Susvara don't need power per se, they need an amp with strong "instant current" capabilities. A more powerful amp typically has more current reserve, but some lower power amps also have strong current delivery. One such amp is the Vinnie Rossi LIO: its headphone amp put many high powered amps to shame (e.g. Ferrum Oor) despite being "only" 1W @ 32ohm. Its Ultracap power supply with extremely low output impedance and high current reserve certainly has something to do with it.
Sure it might, but it also costs more than twice as much. If I am spending several thousand dollars on an amp I kind of want it to have more power than just 1W unless you only have one pair of headphones and it matches that well. I feel like once you spend a certain amount I'm expecting the kitchen sink. But then I also understand niche usecases. I have a Woo audio WA11 and that is completely impractical but I love it since it fits my needs perfectly, but I also have a burson for when I'm at my desk.

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #20,635 of 25,624
Instant current as Volt? Does anyone know how many volts it needs to be at its best?

Mar 27, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #20,636 of 25,624

Attachments

• 3860C554-794C-4E8B-8E24-8A989E5555E0.png
    3860C554-794C-4E8B-8E24-8A989E5555E0.png
    351.3 KB · Views: 0
Mar 27, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #20,637 of 25,624
Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #20,639 of 25,624
Instant current as Volt? Does anyone know how many volts it needs to be at its best?
Planar's (in particular the Susvara) need an Amp with quite a lot of high quality instant current with a low impedance output delivered to them.
Such Amps are quite expensive compared to Amps that can't deliver such current requirements.

If you are buying an expensive headphone (like the Susvara) then be prepared to also spend quite a lot of money on the Source, Pre-Amp and Amp components in order to get the best out of them. Otherwise you are spending a lot of money on a set of headphones and not benefiting from their performance capability because the equipment they are connected to is not ideal !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back