HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 5, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #18,856 of 26,676
That's actually a good cost-effective advice considering how Susvara cans work with standalone power amps.
A good implemented Class A should still be better/faster/stronger. Mine is 15W/25Ohm and I get eargasm with Susvara.

Dec 5, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #18,857 of 26,676
One of the best sounds out of the Susvara straight out of the Tambaqui HP xlr out. Very deep and naturally huge soundstage. I actually thought I was wearing DCA Stealths atm coz the bass quantity was a lot more than expected for a Sus.

Attachments

• IMG_20221129_154211.jpg
    IMG_20221129_154211.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Dec 5, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #18,858 of 26,676
A good implemented Class A should still be better/faster/stronger. Mine is 15W/25Ohm and I get eargasm with Susvara.
A class A amp won't be faster or stronger; better is subjective.

In any case, feel free to recommend a $1200 class A amp with a small footprint, energy efficiency, gain control, and the ability to drive pretty much any speaker as a bonus.

Dec 5, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #18,859 of 26,676
One of the best sounds out of the Susvara straight out of the Tambaqui HP xlr out. Very deep and naturally huge soundstage. I actually thought I was wearing DCA Stealths atm coz the bass quantity was a lot more than expected for a Sus.
Indeed, Mola Mola has the top notch 3D stage, spatial presentation as well as full body. It is just a matter of if you love its house sound.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #18,860 of 26,676

Sure, I believe you, but...

feel free to recommend a $1200 class A amp with a small footprint, energy efficiency, gain control, and the ability to drive pretty much any speaker as a bonus.

--

Class D amps these days offer A LOT considering their price.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 5, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #18,861 of 26,676
A class A amp won't be faster or stronger; better is subjective.

In any case, feel free to recommend a $1200 class A amp with a small footprint, energy efficiency, gain control, and the ability to drive pretty much any speaker as a bonus.
So you saying Class D is as fast as Class A?

Why should it be that efficient? You are powering headphones not 300watt speakers.

Class A is superior no matter how you want to “like” it.

Even A/B wins…

Im not saying Class D sucks, I like it but when powering headphone you dont need 300watt/60ohms.

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #18,862 of 26,676
🤦🏻

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #18,863 of 26,676
So you saying Class D is as fast as Class A?
That's what I'm saying.
Why should it be that efficient? You are powering headphones not 300watt speakers.
Because electricity isn't free, and heat can be undesirable, especially if you want to stack components or don't have A/C in a warm climate.
Class A is superior no matter how you want to “like” it.
Superior how? Have you actually listened to a modern SOTA class D amp?
Even A/B wins…
LOL. Depends on who's keeping score, I guess.
Im not saying Class D sucks, I like it but when powering headphone you dont need 300watt/60ohms.
Nothing is going to provide 300W at 60 ohms, but I simply asked you to provide a class A amp recommendation at the $1200 price point. The ability to also drive virtually any speaker is a nice bonus, but not mandatory.

Dec 5, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #18,865 of 26,676
Is there a sub $1150 amplifier (my budget) that can drive this headphone well, and compete with the kilobuck amplifiers many times its cost? Can someone recommend me some options, thank you.

I use two schiit aegirs as monoblocks for my susvaras and they sound wonderful to me. I also used my Susvaras with just one aegir initially (I started with one and upgraded to a second later). Just the single Aegir was a step up from the Liquid Platinum and Jotunheim 2 I was using to drive the sussys prior. If $1150 is your budget I can personally recommend a single aegir for the susvaras with the potential to upgrade to a second down the line. There are also good deals on used aegirs (one on US Audio Mart rn for $670) so you could use the extra cash for other upgrades in your system, a better preamp (like the Freya S) to pair it with, or save for another aegir down the road. Just my 2c if you're looking to go the class AB speaker amp route.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #18,866 of 26,676
That's what I'm saying.

Because electricity isn't free, and heat can be undesirable, especially if you want to stack components or don't have A/C in a warm climate.

Superior how? Have you actually listened to a modern SOTA class D amp?

LOL. Depends on who's keeping score, I guess.

Nothing is going to provide 300W at 60 ohms, but I simply asked you to provide a class A amp recommendation at the $1200 price point. The ability to also drive virtually any speaker is a nice bonus, but not mandatory.
Easy google will prove you wrong. Im not gonna go into this discussion. Fascinating you still say Class D is as fast as Class A.

For headphones Class A or A/B anytime. I take A/B over Class D for speakers. I tried a lot of Class D modules: Purifi, Pascal, Hypex and icepower…

Active speakers with A/B anyday over Class D

Dec 5, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #18,867 of 26,676
IF you have at least one of the following:
  • DAC w/volume control
  • Headphone amp w/line outputs
  • Standalone preamp
I'd suggest a Purifi class D amp, along the lines of:

Buckeye Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

Not much to look at, but it has gain control, virtually no noise or distortion, runs very cool, and can also drive pretty much any speakers. A no-brainer for $1200, if you want to max out the Susvara's performance.
what is your take on play back design dacs vs emm?

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #18,869 of 26,676
Easy google will prove you wrong. Im not gonna go into this discussion. Fascinating you still say Class D is as fast as Class A.

For headphones Class A or A/B anytime. I take A/B over Class D for speakers. I tried a lot of Class D modules: Purifi, Pascal, Hypex and icepower…

Active speakers with A/B anyday over Class D
Class D will outclass Class A everytime when one knows how to chain well. Class A has its sonic limits.

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #18,870 of 26,676
Yea, but have you heard Class H, you moronic ****ing zealots.

Head-Fi always wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back