HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 28, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #17,641 of 25,658
Really shouldn't judge how it will sound with Susvara based on how much power it gives. After all power requirements are just a number stating how much power you need to reach how loud on this pair of headphones/IEMs/whatever.

It's more like a minimum value. And it has close to no relationship on how it will make Susvara perform unless it's underpowered. You can have a very powerful amp that is terrible both subjectively and objectively. Power is not everything.

Aug 28, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #17,642 of 25,658
Really shouldn't judge how it will sound with Susvara based on how much power it gives. After all power requirements are just a number stating how much power you need to reach how loud on this pair of headphones/IEMs/whatever.

It's more like a minimum value. And it has close to no relationship on how it will make Susvara perform unless it's underpowered. You can have a very powerful amp that is terrible both subjectively and objectively. Power is not everything.
well, power is not everything, but no power is nothing,in the case for susvara. power is nessecery but not sufficient for good sounding for sussy. i am talking as a guy who tried m17 on susvara later moved to a 150w mono block.

Aug 28, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #17,643 of 25,658

1661707087722.gif

Aug 28, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #17,644 of 25,658
If I had read this thread before buying my Susvara. I think I would not have bought it. I have never in my life seen such discussion on any other hardware😂😂😂🙌🙌🙌

Aug 28, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #17,646 of 25,658
How does the mono block compare to TOTL head amps?
My NC400 mono blocks best my Ferum in just about every category. The biggest difference is the sound stage and imaging; with the mono blocks, the stage is larger and vocals are dead centered. On the Ferum, they are slightly smeared. Sub bass punch and dynamics are also sightly stronger on the mono blocks.

Aug 28, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #17,647 of 25,658
If I had read this thread before buying my Susvara. I think I would not have bought it. I have never in my life seen such discussion on any other hardware😂😂😂🙌🙌🙌
All you had to do was listen to the majority and then from there see if you wanted to go down the susvara path.

The general consensus (in anything) is usually the consensus for a reason and is usually correct/around the mark.

Aug 28, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #17,648 of 25,658
My NC400 mono blocks best my Ferum in just about every category. The biggest difference is the sound stage and imaging; with the mono blocks, the stage is larger and vocals are dead centered. On the Ferum, they are slightly smeared. Sub bass punch and dynamics are also sightly stronger on the mono blocks.
I would agree. People don’t give credit to class D amps. But they provide great clean power. I was using the Bel Canto S300 dual mono-block amp until I got my riviera. That was only because I always wanted a tube amp. The Bel Canto Amp drives the Susvara Very effortlessly.

Aug 29, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #17,649 of 25,658
I would agree. People don’t give credit to class D amps. But they provide great clean power. I was using the Bel Canto S300 dual mono-block amp until I got my riviera. That was only because I always wanted a tube amp. The Bel Canto Amp drives the Susvara Very effortlessly.
Speaker amp and mono block is the ultimate end it all solution for the Suavara, and I bet future Hifiman totl headphones will continue the trend of requiring such amount of power and it is always really fun for enthusiast to play around with gear to drive the HE 6 and Susvara.

Aug 29, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #17,651 of 25,658
Yet people here readily take a stab at the Harman curve which is the consensus. 😉😉😉 And making new claims the susvara is more 'harman'. Lolz
Lolz indeed

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #17,652 of 25,658
The powerful one with the same sound signature will just be better at low listening levels, and play effortlessly.
Well here's the thing...on the m17, the Susvara doesn't sound good on the 4.4 out. It actually sounds better on the SE out. So even on the same DAP, this is another instance where susvara sounds better with a lesser amplification. It has nothing to do with power quantity.

On the Go Bar, similarly on the Diablo, Susvara sounds better on 4.4.

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #17,653 of 25,658
Well here's the thing...on the m17, the Susvara doesn't sound good on the 4.4 out. It actually sounds better on the SE out. So even on the same DAP, this is another instance where susvara sounds better with a lesser amplification. It has nothing to do with power quantity.

On the Go Bar, similarly on the Diablo, Susvara sounds better on 4.4.

Has anyone experienced or corroborated anything you have posted?

Twice now you have made statements of Mitch's LCD5 convolution eq sounding like Stealth without ever using or trying it. And, I haven't forgotten about that nonsense statement of the sound changing when filters are in different folder structures or drives.

Why do you even bother with a Dave if you can get the best sound with a Susvara out of a Diablo?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #17,654 of 25,658
Hi, new first-time owner here. Just got my Susvara :)
Listening on the SE out of my TT2 (office setup) actually sounds great. Don't feel like i need more 'anything' here at the moment.
Thing is, i actually bought them so i could connect them to the headphone out of my Yamaha AS2200 Integrated Amp (living room setup).
To my surprise, listening to the new Machine Head album on the Yammy, unfortunately, it seems it doesn't have enough juice! The Susvaras start to distort/get muddy at a relatively low volume.
How can a powerful 2-channel speaker amp not be able to drive the Susvara?!? How "screwed" am i?
Any pitch-ins would be helpful.
Thx

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #17,655 of 25,658
Hi, new first-time owner here. Just got my Susvara :)
Listening on the SE out of my TT2 (office setup) actually sounds great. Don't feel like i need more 'anything' here at the moment.
Thing is, i actually bought them so i could connect them to the headphone out of my Yamaha AS2200 Integrated Amp (living room setup).
To my surprise, listening to the new Machine Head album on the Yammy, unfortunately, it seems it doesn't have enough juice! The Susvaras start to distort/get muddy at a relatively low volume.
How can a powerful 2-channel speaker amp not be able to drive the Susvara?!? How "screwed" am i?
Any pitch-ins would be helpful.
Thx
The Yamaha’s headphone output would be significantly lower than the speaker output.

We use speaker tap cables (usually custom) to attach the Susvara to the speaker taps of the amplifier and take extra care in doing so. Or you can try a more powerful headphone amplifier (lots discussed in this thread) to get the most out of the Susvara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back