HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 26, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #17,627 of 25,614
You are not alone. I am also driving the Susvara with HE-9 2021 version. It has adequate power for Susvara.
I like power but at low/comfortable volume. I changed my order to HE-9 LE, a little more output power than 9.

25 ohm: 15W
40 ohm: 10W
100 ohm: 4W
300 ohm: 1350mW

This should give me a good start with Susvara😃

Aug 27, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #17,628 of 25,614
Just picked up my amp today. It's fully-balanced KT120-based amp. At around 20W into 60Ohm it drives the Susvara flawlessly. Abundant deep bass and great sound stage. I want it to act like a power amp with my V281 as a pre-amp. This way, I can use my V281 with less demanding headphones (Utopia / VC / Empy) which the V281 drives flawlessly, and when I want to use the Sus, I just turn on the big guy and switch to "Line" to use V281's XLR output.

However, the amp is so powerful that I had to change the V281's internal XLR out dipswitch to -14DB to utilize nice volume range (else it's too loud with just a few clicks).
DSC00363.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #17,629 of 25,614
Just picked up my amp today. It's fully-balanced KT120-based amp. At around 20W into 60Ohm it drives the Susvara flawlessly. Abundant deep bass and great sound stage. I want it to act like a power amp with my V281 as a pre-amp. This way, I can use my V281 with less demanding headphones (Utopia / VC / Empy) which the V281 drives flawlessly, and when I want to use the Sus, I just then on the big guy and switch to "Line" to use V281's XLR output.

However, the amp is so powerful that I had to change the V281's internal XLR out dipswitch to -14DB to utilize nice volume range (else it's too loud with just a few clicks).
DSC00363.jpg
Thats cool. From the little bit I read from google, they are custom built. Did you have yours built with headphone outputs on the front?

Aug 27, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #17,630 of 25,614
Thats cool. From the little bit I read from google, they are custom built. Did you have yours built with headphone outputs on the front?
Thanks

Yes, this is a custom-made amp from a local vendor in Thailand, and yes the front has 6.3" and XLR output. Initially I planned to buy an AHB2, but from my research, it can sound a bit dry and clinical, so I went with tube (as the Sus could use some lushness), and I tried almost all available choices I could put my hands on (including Woo's WA33), but nothing impressed me (with the Sus). I prefer the sound of this amp to the WA33 as the vocal/mid is full-bodied along with dynamism and details.

The bad thing is it's quite big and heavy (20-ish KG) and runs quite hot (KT120 operates in Class A).

Aug 27, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #17,631 of 25,614
Thanks

Yes, this is a custom-made amp from a local vendor in Thailand, and yes the front has 6.3" and XLR output. Initially I planned to buy an AHB2, but from my research, it can sound a bit dry and clinical, so I went with tube (as the Sus could use some lushness), and I tried almost all available choices I could put my hands on (including Woo's WA33), but nothing impressed me (with the Sus). I prefer the sound of this amp to the WA33 as the vocal/mid is full-bodied along with dynamism and details.

The bad thing is it's quite big and heavy (20-ish KG) and runs quite hot (KT120 operates in Class A).
Hot and heavy amp are a good thing.

Aug 27, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #17,632 of 25,614
Hot and heavy amp are a good thing.
I would disagree with this sentiment in August. We’re not yet at the end of a long, hot summer. I had to move my tube amp out of my small listening room because my spouse was freezing from the AC being cranked up in the apartment.

Aug 27, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #17,633 of 25,614
Thanks

Sounds great man, hope you really enjoy it! : )

:)

Aug 27, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #17,634 of 25,614
Just picked up my amp today. It's fully-balanced KT120-based amp. At around 20W into 60Ohm it drives the Susvara flawlessly. Abundant deep bass and great sound stage. I want it to act like a power amp with my V281 as a pre-amp. This way, I can use my V281 with less demanding headphones (Utopia / VC / Empy) which the V281 drives flawlessly, and when I want to use the Sus, I just turn on the big guy and switch to "Line" to use V281's XLR output.

DSC00363.jpg
Can you provide a link on this Glow Minute's amp's detailed specifications and how to order it?

I do not see it listed in the SAC-Thailand website at http://www.sacthailand.com/index.html.

Jeff.

Aug 27, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #17,635 of 25,614
Can you provide a link on this Glow Minute's amp's detailed specifications and how to order it?

I do not see it listed in the SAC-Thailand website at http://www.sacthailand.com/index.html.

Jeff.
Sure... I will send you the owner's email via PM. He's familiar with overseas customers as I believe his main business is export sale of Silk Transformers to US/EU. You can exchange words with him. Normally, you tell him what you want, and he proposes a few options, and then the amp is made after the idea/design can be agreed. So there is no official spec if the unit is fully custom-built. Like in my case, the maker took my request and came back with the proposed spec.

However, given the weight/size of the amp, and nature of tube amp which may need service for time to time, I'm not sure about buying from Thailand if you're overseas as it won't be fun sending the amp over for service here.

Aug 28, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #17,636 of 25,614
I was comparing between Susvara, Stealth, Utopia and Atrium with the m17 + ifi elite + line conditioner in the store for a few days straight and...that's not even the main story. I then moved to the Go Blu + Susvara as a test and the Go Blu was still kinda fresh so I let it burn it a bit more and I can hear the sound improve, but also notice how the sound would clip on bassy track but if one goes down a bit, it actually still plays loud enough without clipping. My dealer suggested that I try the Go Bar, which is almost double the power of the Go Blu, which didn't make for an exciting challenge really, but okay sure. After a few tweaks on the phone -> (with or without isilencer) -> cosemi optical usb cable -> go bar 4.4 -> susvara w/ stock cable...I'm like, wait a minute, moved to the m17 set, then back to the go bar... The Go Bar actually sounds better and has more authority and drive than the m17. In this case, it's actually the dac implementation coz I still hear that etch /peaky transients on the m17, which can be improved when one adds more power filtering but the Go Bar was still surpassing it with a much simpler chain. With the main power coming from the phone, it is understandable that there is a much smaller soundstage than full potential on a full rig. But the sound isn't labored, or thin or peaky. There's ample subbass and density on Max's Cradle to Grave and enough resolution Max's Four Seasons - Autumn 1 Atmos. Having the isilencer in the chain gave this very warm cuddly sound and that plasticky high that's usually there has been replaced with this rolled off /shaved off upper mids that hits female vocals, but it's still pleasant.

I then moved the setup to where I can borrow an ipower x + dc purifier to power the idefender (no isilencer this time) going to the cosemi and it opened the soundstage and gave a much livelier faster response, making it sound like a set top quality DAC/amp. This actually drives louder than my Diablo at eco mode. With my Diablo being a dual BB DAC and modded, I get a much larger soundstage + calmer + deeper sound. What's also interesting is there's much less plasticky sound on the highs that was noticeable on other setups.

But this shows again that 500mw is the most one needs in terms of power quantity. Any further improvements should be on power quality and signal chain and implementation.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #17,637 of 25,614
“The Power of Susvara - Philosophy”

In a couple of years it can be studied at universities internationally.

Edit: jokes aside I think a more powerful amp at the same listening level is better.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #17,638 of 25,614
1661697240314.gif

Aug 28, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #17,640 of 25,614
Except m17 has around 3x more power than the Go Bar but the Go Bar sounds much better.
Maybe I should have isolated the(sound quality)

iFi is very underestimated I really get it….But the amps has its place. Maybe another user gonna say the m17 sounds better.

What Im trying think is that, take the amp/sound that you like, an multiply the power of that amp. Im saying it will be better for certain scenarios….like Susvara.

Am I completely wrong?…comparing at comfortable listening levels, we are not measuring dB. The powerful one with the same sound signature will just be better at low listening levels, and play effortlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back