HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 24, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #17,611 of 25,659
I own a Master 9. Have had it since 2013. M9 is a nice sounding, transparent amp with a lot of power, but it is a bit soft sounding IMO, so maybe not the best match for the Susvara.
Thats perfect for Vicente Amigo Girols amazing guitar sound.

My TT2 should be able give it some edges. Its not soft…

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #17,612 of 25,659
Now he’s back to square one again 😭
Sorry, I carefully considered whether or not to give my honest opinion before clicking post reply.

All amplifiers have their pros and cons and if you don't mind a slightly soft/laid back sound, the M9 is perfect. However, I have understood that @OCC7N wants some bite in the sound and was not completely satisfied with the TT2 + Susvara from that point of view.

Aug 24, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #17,613 of 25,659
Thats perfect for Vicente Amigo Girols amazing guitar sound.

My TT2 should be able give it some edges. Its not soft…
Ok good I hope you will be satisfied!

Aug 24, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #17,614 of 25,659
I dont think one amp can do it all. But I think TT2 has the bite I am looking for. As long as I dont miss out on soundstage Im fine.

My Diablo is much fun on that part. They should have called it Pitbull. Its scissor sharp. Opposite of airy. Its visual/physical sound. Watching movies on it is just a different experience, in a good way.

Amps and dac combination do make a difference. Its obvious.

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #17,615 of 25,659
If you had yours from 2013 I am abit curious of the changes made to the 2019 revision.

If you know please feel free to DM🙌

Aug 24, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #17,617 of 25,659
When you have a full and impactful bass, just as good as a dynamic diver like Focal Utopia, you will know that you have finally unleashed Susvara's full potential.

With proper guidance from fokes here, we could reach that state with less difficulty.

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #17,618 of 25,659
I have been googlesearching, sleepless nights, impatient, restless ….and Im surprised of my purchase/decision of an amp with power(price range) for my Susvara.

These were my final picks:
Ferrum oor, no hypsos
iFi iCAN Signature
Burson Soloist 3X GT
Adapter for TT2 XLR output

Some reading up on audio-gd in google/reviews, and helpful inputs from @gimmeheadroom and @dougms3.

I decided on the Master 9. I am normally very skeptical of chi-fi, but this maschine looks so analog, well-crafted, I had to give it a try.

Keep in mind the decision is solely made for best in the pricerange. I have read too many pages of speakeramps, so I know the deal about Susvara😂🙌🔥

Im just thankful for the help and patience people have here. Thanks🙏
You are not alone. I am also driving the Susvara with HE-9 2021 version. It has adequate power for Susvara.

Aug 25, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #17,619 of 25,659
Been tried Susvara many times, and own Chord TT2, but somehow I never tried Susvara direct from TT2. Until today.

Got loaned Susvara, with standard cable, pair it to TT2, both 6.3mm and (with effect audio converter) to XLR out on the back. I always curious what if I push more power to Susvara, with (almost) exact same quality of board audio component (can not do this if add external amplifier).

With my reference test song, and 6.3mm output, actually still enough volume, as I run it at -3H. For extended normal listening session my usual volume at -11H.

Result:
As expected, they much more similar than different, although not identical. XLR out push wider and deeper soundstage, with slight fuller body on Midrange and Bass. I can't really find any weakness of XLR Out compared to 6.3mm in this case. Use 6.3mm is still fine, but better depth staging and slight fuller vocal of XLR out win my heart (ok, only by slight margin though).

Susvara become the very first headphone I ever tried, that made me prefer XLR out of TT2 rather than its 6.3mm headphone out. For other headphones like Meze Elite, Diana TC, LCD-5, ZMF Verite, etc (many more), the 6.3mm always superior to me.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #17,620 of 25,659
Been tried Susvara many times, and own Chord TT2, but somehow I never tried Susvara direct from TT2. Until today.

Got loaned Susvara, with standard cable, pair it to TT2, both 6.3mm and (with effect audio converter) to XLR out on the back. I always curious what if I push more power to Susvara, with (almost) exact same quality of board audio component (can not do this if add external amplifier).

With my reference test song, and 6.3mm output, actually still enough volume, as I run it at -3H. For extended normal listening session my usual volume at -11H.

Result:
As expected, they much more similar than different, although not identical. XLR out push wider and deeper soundstage, with slight fuller body on Midrange and Bass. I can't really find any weakness of XLR Out compared to 6.3mm in this case. Use 6.3mm is still fine, but better depth staging and slight fuller vocal of XLR out win my heart (ok, only by slight margin though).

Susvara become the very first headphone I ever tried, that made me prefer XLR out of TT2 rather than its 6.3mm headphone out. For other headphones like Meze Elite, Diana TC, LCD-5, ZMF Verite, etc (many more), the 6.3mm always superior to me.
People who give it a chance tend to find it works really well with the Susvaras. You don't need anymore power than the TT2 provides and you can keep your set up really simple with the TT2 and no amp.

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #17,621 of 25,659
People who give it a chance tend to find it works really well with the Susvaras. You don't need anymore power than the TT2 provides and you can keep your set up really simple with the TT2 and no amp.

Yes, I think the pairing is fine, even for more mainstream songs like Olivia Rodrigo. However, if my main headphone is Susvara, I think I'll still add tube amp with enough power behind them.

Most of Hifiman headphones sound too "ethereal" to me, airy, floating, fluid, but not solid enough in leading edge of each notes, make everything sound a bit soft. Tube Amplifier with good synergy may help to remove this problem (for now my favourite is Ultrasonic Oblivion). At least for my preference of course.

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #17,622 of 25,659
New to the thread but thinking about buying a Susvara. I ve seen a few in the classified section but am confused about the versions. Some say 3.5mm, some 2.5mm... what do these mean? Are they different versions or is one newer than the other? Are these cable differences?

Do all of these come standard with both XLR and 6.3 cables?

I see many sellers asking just around $4k for pre-owned but have seen threads here and on reddit that some dealers could sell new at $4200, is that still true?

Thank you

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #17,623 of 25,659
New to the thread but thinking about buying a Susvara. I ve seen a few in the classified section but am confused about the versions. Some say 3.5mm, some 2.5mm... what do these mean? Are they different versions or is one newer than the other? Are these cable differences?

I see many sellers asking just around $4k for pre-owned but have seen threads here and on reddit that some dealers could sell new at $4200, is that still true?

Thank you
1. 3.5mm version is latest one.
2. Yes both cables are included.
3. Street prices for Susvara vary a lot from country to country and dealer to dealer.

Aug 25, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #17,624 of 25,659
Aug 25, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #17,625 of 25,659

Thank you
And adding to what others have said above, i hear in reviews that you can pick up new pairs for about $4500 USD in the states.

that lines up pretty similarly (give or take a little bit) to what you can pick up a pair for here in australia at times

i have owned and heard both (one after the other) and i did not notice a difference (though i did not do specific AB testing) and from what i read here many others say they sound the same

from this thread the earpads of the 3.5mm are a little bit thicker

there‘s a general concensus the 3.5mm connectors are better option as it’s a popular connection (with other headphones - ie their cables) and they are a bit sturdier / less breakable (i assume if you are very unlucky/clumsy)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back