HiFiMan Susvara
May 24, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #15,871 of 25,658
The EF 1000 sounds absolutely perfect as intended by Dr. Fang. The Susvara with the EF 1000 is very closely on the sound of the Shangri-La and comes extremely close to the ultimate Hifiman sound of the 50K Electrostatic System. However, the Shangri-La sounds significantly different compared to the Sennheiser HE 1 and, for me, also appeals to a different target group. The design of the EF 1000 perfectly reflects its sound, powerful, very technical, sterile and extreme perfection but also coldness where soul is missing. A few years ago (before the Susvara existed) I talked to Dr. Fang in Munich and he showed me a prototype of the EF 1000 that still had wooden elements at the time. To sum it up, the EF 1000 doesn't have a warm, smooth tube sound , but it is an ultimate machine that strives for perfection without compromise.
It’s okay. You don’t have to regurgitate the same point over and over. You think EF1000 sounds fine and I don’t and it’s far from perfect (whatever that word means). Time to move on.

May 24, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #15,872 of 25,658
It’s okay. You don’t have to regurgitate the same point over and over. You think EF1000 sounds fine and I don’t and it’s far from perfect (whatever that word means). Time to move on.
Not to beat a dead horse, but "it sounds fine" is not what I'm hearing from that post :

"powerful, very technical, sterile and extreme perfection but also coldness where soul is missing"

With expressions such as "sterile," "coldness," and "soul is missing" thrown into the mix, I am getting a sense of impressions that someone else might call "mixed" as opposed to "fine," let alone "perfect." It goes without saying that all such impressions are rooted firmly in the territory of "subjective preferences," so mileages my of course vary, as usual. Just pointing this out, without meaning to start any new fires or stoke existing ones.:):):)

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #15,873 of 25,658
Not to beat a dead horse, but "it sounds fine" is not what I'm hearing from that post :

"powerful, very technical, sterile and extreme perfection but also coldness where soul is missing"

With expressions such as "sterile," "coldness," and "soul is missing" thrown into the mix, I am getting a sense of impressions that someone else might call "mixed" as opposed to "fine," let alone "perfect." It goes without saying that all such impressions are rooted firmly in the territory of "subjective preferences," so mileages my of course vary, as usual. Just point this out, without meaning to start any new fires or stoke existing ones.:):):)
Of course I don't want to just write about the EF 1000 all the time, I thought maybe I didn't describe something clearly or in enough detail. I've heard the Susvara on five different amps, Viva Egoista 845, Feliks Audio Envy, dCS Bartók, with the Hifiman adapter directly on the speaker outputs of an Accuphase 380 and the EF 1000, I don't count the EF 400. The EF 1000 made that impression on me. My personal favorite of the amps I've heard is the Envy.

May 24, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #15,874 of 25,658
Of course I don't want to just write about the EF 1000 all the time, I thought maybe I didn't describe something clearly or in enough detail. I've heard the Susvara on five different amps, Viva Egoista 845, Feliks Audio Envy, dCS Bartók, with the Hifiman adapter directly on the speaker outputs of an Accuphase 380 and the EF 1000, I don't count the EF 400. The EF 1000 made that impression on me. My personal favorite of the amps I've heard is the Envy.
Both the Bartok and the Envy don't drive the Susvara well.
Heard both at the HIGH END show.
Not sure what kind of music you've auditioned, but on classical music it had no volume and no dynamics.
OTOH, the Envy drove the Abyss very nicely, the Bartok did not.

May 24, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #15,875 of 25,658
Moon HA430 is a qualified amp for both cans but not the end game amp ! I used the ifi iCan Pro as a pre amp in my system, it is a very good booster for power and sound adjustment, it can push up the HA430 more efficiently to drive both monster ! Btw the Violectic DHA V226 also a good amp for Susvara the effect is more than I expected .
I really wanted to take a look at the new iFi Pro iCAN Signature at the High End Munich, unfortunately there wasn't enough time next year I'm planning two days for it.

May 24, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #15,876 of 25,658
Not sure what kind of music you've auditioned, but on classical music it had no volume and no dynamics.
The Envy has a lot of power, but the small impedance control next to the volume control must be set to high. I can absolutely agree with you on the Bartók.

May 24, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #15,877 of 25,658

I couldn't get the Envy / Susvara combo over 10:00 volume when I heard it. Thick bass, plenty of power.

May 25, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #15,878 of 25,658
Anyone EQ the mids on the Susvara? Maybe around 2k?

May 25, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #15,879 of 25,658
May 25, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #15,880 of 25,658
May 25, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #15,881 of 25,658
It’s fine how it is. I also think EQ doesn’t make it sound as good anyways

May 25, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #15,882 of 25,658
Anyone EQ the mids on the Susvara? Maybe around 2k?
No, have not but I notice slight recessed mids on Susvara compared to my other HP's (HD800/Stealth) not sure which of them are the most accurate, not normally into EQ, tried on my HD800 with Roon but always came back to square one as if something got improved something else got missed.....if you find a nice PEQ curve for Susvara i would like to try it so let me know, would be fun to test, but I am sure i will come back to square one as well on the Susvara in the end....

May 25, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #15,883 of 25,658
Currently listening to my Susvara out the ass end of a Luxman L-550AXii and very much enjoying the sound, but can't help but wonder if introducing a tube preamp into the chain and using the L-550AXii in its power amp mode might be fun...? Should I lay off the vodka sodas?

May 25, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #15,884 of 25,658
Currently listening to my Susvara out the ass end of a Luxman L-550AXii and very much enjoying the sound, but can't help but wonder if introducing a tube preamp into the chain and using the L-550AXii in its power amp mode might be fun...? Should I lay off the vodka sodas?
No, Instead have another one....:cocktail:

May 25, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #15,885 of 25,658
The Susvara sound lean and bright on my amp-23r (at high gain)… is EQ a must to achieve a fuller sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back