HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 6, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #13,606 of 25,664
Hello, just received my Susvara, then more I listen to then more I like , I can’t complain about bass , to me just enough, I don’t know if I want to more, highs and midds just perfect , sound so different from Abyss 1266TC and I think it’s good, that’s why many of us like to have more than one pair

Jan 6, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #13,608 of 25,664
Jan 6, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #13,610 of 25,664
Uh, yeah, it IS. The list price is $5800, which is what I bought it for at Moon Audio in the US. WA33 cheapest version is $8500, which is $3000 more, and the most expensive version is $18,000. I apologize profusely for not living in Australia and not knowing its prices.
Hahah, we are on the other side of the earth (underneath) which attracts premium in pricing...

Jan 6, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #13,611 of 25,664
Hi folks, hope you’re all having a great day. Could anyone please help point me towards authorised Hifiman dealers in Canada who can give me a good price for the Susvara? And also a good copper xlr cable. Happy listening!

I've always ordered from Bloom Audio. They've been great to deal with. You will pay import fees at the border, but I've always found it worked out well, even after the fees and exchange rate.

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #13,612 of 25,664
I recently bought a used Susvara that was an unused warranty replacement, and was wondering if anyone had experience with getting an extended warranty for the replacement in these situations. I thought I read posts by other members who received new warranty cards with their replacement Susvaras...which assumedly extends the warranty. With the current replacement I have, it still has the original warranty card, and although Hifiman customer service was great about accepting a "transfer" of warranty, the representative I emailed said the warranty was still only 3 years from original purchase date (back in 2020).

Jan 7, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #13,613 of 25,664
I recently bought a used Susvara that was an unused warranty replacement, and was wondering if anyone had experience with getting an extended warranty for the replacement in these situations. I thought I read posts by other members who received new warranty cards with their replacement Susvaras...which assumedly extends the warranty. With the current replacement I have, it still has the original warranty card, and although Hifiman customer service was great about accepting a "transfer" of warranty, the representative I emailed said the warranty was still only 3 years from original purchase date (back in 2020).
When i enquired about my replacement hekse i was told by the hifiman rep that the warranty does NOT start again.

Having said that I get the impressions, from what I have read here, that Hifiman are pretty reasonable in looking after customers if issues arise - including customers of their susvara

Jan 7, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #13,614 of 25,664
When i enquired about my replacement hekse i was told by the hifiman rep that the warranty does NOT start again.

Having said that I get the impressions, from what I have read here, that Hifiman are pretty reasonable in looking after customers if issues arise - including customers of their susvara
When my HEKSE was replaced under official but extended warranty (there was a card in the box to extend the warranty which I used to register on their site) i received a new HEKSE with a warranty of 6 months only

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #13,615 of 25,664
In the past I used to own the Susvara and needed to decide back then between them and the AB1266. The AB1266 was better suited for the music genres I listen to and my personal preferences so I chose them. But I was now able to get a new pair from Hifiman and wanted to share some experiences. Especially after I also listened to a lot of other gear in between.

The main characeristics to describe the Susvara are for me transparency, clarity and naturalness. That's what the Susvara really excels at. The sound representation is very natural, maybe the most natural I have listend to. But that also makes it sometimes a bit boring for my personal taste. The AB1266 for comparison is not really natural sounding, but makes the music much more exciting with raw details and an industrial timbre. Of course this is personal preference and differs from person to person and the music you listen to. Another point that stands out for me is that the Susvara "disappears" when listening to music. I noticed this especially after listening for a longer time to the Susvara and changing to the LCD-4z. I could literally hear the headphone construction due to reverberation on the 4z. Your brain adapts very quickly and you don't hear it after a minute or so, but I can reproduce the effect every time.

The main complaint I have with the Susvara is mainly the bass. The bass is present and goes deep down. But it is a typical planar bass. It really gets noticable with modern music and especially on tight beats which just don't sound like they should. No feathering, just dry bass. Anyhow, I generally think the Susvara is extremly well tuned for accoustical music, the AB1266 or LCD-4z are better suited for bass heavy modern music in my books. I'll definitely keep the Susvara for rotational listening, that's why I bought them again.

To also add some experiences to the whole amp discussion in this thread and to people who don't hear fleas cough :wink: : Based on your listening levels you can also drive the Susvara nicely with smaller mobile dac/amps. I can drive to to around 75-80DB with 60% volume on the single ended output of the Qudelix 5K which is my comfortable listening level.

1641582313303.png

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #13,616 of 25,664
In the past I used to own the Susvara and needed to decide back then between them and the AB1266. The AB1266 was better suited for the music genres I listen to and my personal preferences so I chose them. But I was now able to get a new pair from Hifiman and wanted to share some experiences. Especially after I also listened to a lot of other gear in between.

The main characeristics to describe the Susvara are for me transparency, clarity and naturalness. That's what the Susvara really excels at. The sound representation is very natural, maybe the most natural I have listend to. But that also makes it sometimes a bit boring for my personal taste. The AB1266 for comparison is not really natural sounding, but makes the music much more exciting with raw details and an industrial timbre. Of course this is personal preference and differs from person to person and the music you listen to. Another point that stands out for me is that the Susvara "disappears" when listening to music. I noticed this especially after listening for a longer time to the Susvara and changing to the LCD-4z. I could literally hear the headphone construction due to reverberation on the 4z. Your brain adapts very quickly and you don't hear it after a minute or so, but I can reproduce the effect every time.

The main complaint I have with the Susvara is mainly the bass. The bass is present and goes deep down. But it is a typical planar bass. It really gets noticable with modern music and especially on tight beats which just don't sound like they should. No feathering, just dry bass. Anyhow, I generally think the Susvara is extremly well tuned for accoustical music, the AB1266 or LCD-4z are better suited for bass heavy modern music in my books. I'll definitely keep the Susvara for rotational listening, that's why I bought them again.

To also add some experiences to the whole amp discussion in this thread and to people who don't hear fleas cough :wink: : Based on your listening levels you can also drive the Susvara nicely with smaller mobile dac/amps. I can drive to to around 75-80DB with 60% volume on the single ended output of the Qudelix 5K which is my comfortable listening level.

1641582313303.png
I see you have the fenestrated earpads (from Dekoni?) on them. Those were my favorite and I really felt like they took the Susvara to the next level with details and soundstage, while not interfering with the bass much.

Jan 7, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #13,617 of 25,664
Been thinking of buying one, but I keep getting mixed responses what are good stacks that can actually run this quite properly. Some people tell me IHA-6 amp but some are also telling no. There's also ones like Amos who ran it with his Jot 2. Any sub $1k amp/dacs or should I just go broke for above it?

Jan 7, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #13,618 of 25,664

1641582313303.png

So, you complain about dry and limp bass and then in the same comment say qudelix runs sus when litteraly the main symptom of underpowering them is dry/limp bass?

Jan 7, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #13,619 of 25,664
Been thinking of buying one, but I keep getting mixed responses what are good stacks that can actually run this quite properly. Some people tell me IHA-6 amp but some are also telling no. There's also ones like Amos who ran it with his Jot 2. Any sub $1k amp/dacs or should I just go broke for above it?

To be frank, if you arent wanting to spend even 1k on an amp I think you would probabaly be better served by different cans (for a similar total chain cost). A great example of this is that I feel D8000 Pro pretty significantly out perform sus on even something like a GSX-mini. V281 will run sus (in terms of propper macro dynamics at least) just north of 1k used but I do also think you would still be better served spending a bit less on the cans and getting a nicer amp for slightly less spendy cans in that case as well

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #13,620 of 25,664

Users who are viewing this thread

Back