HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 28, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #10,771 of 25,620
gee, childhood problems lol?....we are getting a bit deep here...I love the hobby and discovering new products and technologies and obviously the music I can enjoy...I got started at age 10 with a Craig tape deck and a cassette version of chicago 2..I have been moving up the food chain ever since....this is where I spend my discretionary income for the most part...some people buy expensive cars or watches or wine etc....none of that does anything for me but for others it does and I say more power to them...strange how many people feel the need to make these silly judgments and I see it all over the place especially from those
I agree about the addictive personalities.

However the comment about not wanting to be the guy that is happy with the 650 and Shiit gear goes off in another direction. That's like looking your nose at the people the have that gear and are happy with it. Also it's a false assumption that maybe they are splurging somewhere else. Maybe they don't have the means, or even care to purchase more expensive components.
I did make a comment that talked about 650 and schiit stack but not in an elitist way. Just mentioned that he had a happier upbringing so I thought maybe that was why he was satisfied with less. He makes good money so it’s not due to monetary reasons. I think you may have me intertwined with a follow up post. Read original post. Thanks.

*I have a Naim Muso and KEF Eggs for many years and am happy with it. Not trying to upgrade anytime soon.

Aug 28, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #10,772 of 25,620
Gee, how elitist of you. It must be hard for you to comprehend that some people actually don’t have a lot of money to spend on their hobbies, and make due with what they have, and actually enjoy what their lowly equipment without the need to try to scratch the upgrade itch. You’re right. Maybe they are splurging elsewhere. You know, those luxuries like a mortgage, car payments, utility bills, kids college.
That did come off as elitist. I am sorry. That was not my intention. :)

I suppose my intention was the opposite. I wanted to avoid flexing my expensive purchases by sharing a realization that others do spend on other expensive things like cars and such.

Of course, there are still others that spend on no expensive products.

But to some extent, threads like these do self-select people with a certain amount of disposable income, so that is perhaps what lulled me into some sort of elitism.

That said, if we are being honest, I definitely don't want to be a guy who is stuck with an HD 650 and a Schiit stack. There is no shame is admitting that. I suspect it's true for most of us on this thread.

There are also two things here to distinguish.

Guy 1: The guy who is stuck with those gears because he can't afford more.

Guy 2: The guy who is stuck with those gears because he is happy with them and would rather spend elsewhere. It appeared to me that @Somatic was talking about Guy 2.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #10,773 of 25,620
That did sound elitist. I am sorry. :)

I suppose my intention was the opposite. I wanted to avoid flexing my expensive purchases by sharing a realization that others do spend on other expensive things like cars and such.

Of course, there are still others that spend on neither and no expensive products.

But to some extent, threads like these do self-select people with a certain amount of disposable income, so that is perhaps what lulled me into some sort of elitism. Which was not my intention.
I appreciate your reviews and insights on amps. Thanks. No ill will from me. :)

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #10,774 of 25,620
Anyone eyeing that Flux Volot? Seems ideal for the Susvara.
I was eyeing it until I realized I fi way too big
What are we all seeking? Are we seeking the audio equivalent of opium? A nice warm blanket that protects us from the ravages of day to day life?

I’ve always been curious if summitfi folks have had childhood trauma that they are compensating for. Maybe that’s where the addiction portion comes in. No offense as I am one of them. I have friends with great childhoods and they are more than happy with their HD650 and Schiit stack. Just wondering. Take care. :)
Not all addictive/obsessive behavior can be chalked up to childhood trauma. That’s taking Freud into an even more myopic view than it already is. We’ll all have different reasons and different approaches to our respective hobbies (including non-audiophile hobbies).
Re: @Sajid Amit ’s comment, he probably didn’t mean to sound elitist (I hope) if what he meant is that many of us are in the hobby to chase the constant improvements and not stay in 650 range forever. Probably could have been said better though.

Aug 28, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #10,775 of 25,620
I was eyeing it until I realized I fi way too big

Not all addictive/obsessive behavior can be chalked up to childhood trauma. That’s taking Freud into an even more myopic view than it already is. We’ll all have different reasons and different approaches to our respective hobbies (including non-audiophile hobbies).
Re: @Sajid Amit ’s comment, he probably didn’t mean to sound elitist (I hope) if what he meant is that many of us are in the hobby to chase the constant improvements and not stay in 650 range forever. Probably could have been said better though.
Just curious what else would addictive behaviors stem from? Any books or authors I should read up on?

Aug 29, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #10,777 of 25,620
What are we all seeking? Are we seeking the audio equivalent of opium? A nice warm blanket that protects us from the ravages of day to day life?

I’ve always been curious if summitfi folks have had childhood trauma that they are compensating for. Maybe that’s where the addiction portion comes in. No offense as I am one of them. I have friends with great childhoods and they are more than happy with their HD650 and Schiit stack. Just wondering. Take care. :)
Well, my "trauma" is that I would have ideally liked to become a musician. I enjoyed playing different instruments as a kid, particularly in my teenage years. but that ambition was knee-capped very early by people in my life who believed a professional musician's life was for losers, so to speak, and not to put a fine point on it. Instead, I was encouraged to get a regular college degree first, and then go to grad school, and the rest is what has become my official adult "history".

To be fair, I was born in a part of the world where, although music itself is more valued as a "natural" part of regular daily life, actual professional careers in music are not as esteemed as others, because of reasons that arise from the cultural history of that area. It is what it is. Can't do much about so-called "traditions." Be that as it may, those prejudices (which include those of my own parents) may have helped to shape my choices in higher education and a career path, but they did not kill my passion for music itself by throttling my ambition to develop my skills in playing the instruments... I did actually play in my fair share of amateur bands in both high school and college, but not to anywhere near the degree of dedication that a full-blown career in music and performance would have required.

So I am a "frustrated musician" at heart, if that is the right expression for it (I prefer the expression "unfulfilled musician")... I hope you would not call me pretentious if I mention to you that I do not merely enjoy the music I listen to. I also have to imagine myself playing some of my favorite instruments along with the musicians in some of the pieces I listen to. I do not merely sing along or try to hum the tunes of instruments, or imitate mentally the sounds of drums and some percussion instruments in those pieces: sometimes I even conduct imaginary orchestras, by waving my arms when alone and no-one is watching. There are also times when I even feel like competing with some of my favorites composers and artists--e.g. doing an imaginary piano duel with Keith Jarrett as I listen to him play Carnegie Hall, lol. Mind such an imaginary "duel" happens in a "friendly" way, as I do not really believe I could ever out-Chopin Chopin, for example, out-Jarrett Keith Jarrett or or out-Hendrix Hendrix, or come even close to any of them . The point is that listening to music always has the potential of becoming an overly intense experience, one that involves not only states of the passive enjoyment of beautiful pieces, but also imaginary acts of creative performance that some my find a little neurotic or even "nutty."... Am I crazy? I shall leave it at that...

"Trauma"? I do not have enough expertise to diagnose this behavior as the effects of a "traumatic" stifling of skills that were not fully developed. I am sure if you were to tell those who were responsible for my upbringing that they "traumatized" me by steering me away from a possible career path in music, toward what they considered to be a more traditionally stable and "sane" form of professional life, you're going get a bunch of dirty looks and rolled eyes fin return or your efforts... I personally do not fault my parents for that, or carry any excessive baggage of bitterness on account of the way I was brought up...Still, I think my experience as an enthusiast in music shows a few marks of what one might call "overcompensation."

Are you a victim of "trauma," if your parents steered you away from something you were passionate about in you youth, such as playing football or basketball, toward a career path they considered to be more "professionally" reliable and sound, such as that of engineering or management, even if such a career was not really your "first passion?

When all is said and done, I do not think I am the only such "frustrated" or "unfulfilled musician" in the world... Far from it, although I think calling my enthusiasm for music and audiophile equipment an "addiction" is not too much of a stretch. Now if you ask me "what I am seeking," I'll answer that I'm always looking for moments of mental cleansing and thrills, for experiences of emotional elevation and psychological intoxication from my listening, the more intense the better, like everybody else :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #10,778 of 25,620
I can't believe I now miss the amp talk! :confused:
Oh, I wouldn't worry too much about that... It is bound to return sooner rather than later... It is like "gravity" in this forum... just stay tuned:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Aug 29, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #10,779 of 25,620
Any pads for the Susvara's that increase comfort, i.e. softer pads but retains similar sound signature? Thanks.

Aug 29, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #10,780 of 25,620
Think you guys would be interested in his "Planar Power Myth" debunk ... lol ... I like some of his reviews but I think he is wrong on this one.

Aug 29, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #10,781 of 25,620
Think you guys would be interested in his "Planar Power Myth" debunk ... lol ... I like some of his reviews but I think he is wrong on this one.

Thanks for sharing. He clearly put a lot of effort into his argument, and his reasoning sounds plausible to me. Where do you think he is wrong?

EDIT: I actually really enjoyed his comparison of the Susvara, Utopia and Empyrean, with many comments that I relate to. I also like when reviewers mention specific songs to describe their perspective, and I look forward to trying those songs myself. So, overall, really enjoyed watching this, and thanks again for sharing.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #10,782 of 25,620

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown: I stopped watching once he said about high power to planar magnetics was a myth !

Aug 29, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #10,783 of 25,620
:thumbsdown::thumbsdown: I stopped watching once he said about high power to planar magnetics was a myth !
Actually due to his dulcet tones of his voice I guess I would have fallen asleep by the time I have got half way through his video.

Aug 29, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #10,784 of 25,620
Thanks for sharing. He clearly put a lot of effort into his argument, and his reasoning sounds plausible to me. Where do you think he is wrong?
I skipped the power part. I have made my peace with Susvara’s power needs and once he started going on and on about how it doesn’t need all that power, I fast forwarded.

I got as far as the part where he says the treble is dry and not smooth. Then I stopped watching.

Aug 29, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #10,785 of 25,620
I skipped the power part. I have made my peace with Susvara’s power needs and once he started going on and on about how it doesn’t need all that power, I fast forwarded.

I got as far as the part where he says the treble is dry and not smooth. Then I stopped watching.
I can understand that I guess, if you've fully invested in the speaker amp route, but still... I expected you to be more open to hearing the argument.. 😊
Anyway, FYI, he does wrap up saying it's the best headphone he's ever heard, and he's fully recommending every audiophile to at least audition it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back