HiFiMan Susvara
Jul 22, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #10,126 of 26,687
However, I also don't think HE1000V2 sounds great through Milo, so I guess we may have different taste here.
I do have to EQ the treble down quite a bit to enjoy the V2, but otherwise, I like what the Milo does with the rest of the sound presentation. I'm guessing the HE1000SE would behave similarly with the Milo?

Jul 22, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #10,127 of 26,687
Burning in this beast. First one hour, this preamp really makes Susvara sings (paired w/ Bakoon). Just wow!

Interesting. As recently posted, I too have a Bakoon-13R and am awaiting the arrival of my Susvaras. I also use the Lumin T2/L1 combo with the Sbooster mod. What do you find the the Manley preamp adds to the mix? I’ve tried using the Lumin app as a “preamp” using the LEEDH volume processing control, but found it somewhat thin sounding compared to the 13R alone. Of course, that’s not the same as an active preamp, let alone with tubes in the mix. Are you using the Bakoon’s high gain setting? What about the T2’s gain setting?

Jul 22, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #10,128 of 26,687
Thank you linking this informative review. I’ve been living with the Bakoon-13R for several months now, and absolutely love it. I’ve been using it to primarily drive my Tonian TL-D1 speakers, and less often, my Focal Clear Mg headphones. It has a stunning presentation with both, with great retrieval of detail, timbral accuracy and soundstage. It is utterly grain free and non-fatiguing. It is as quiet as a graveyard through both the speaker and headphone outputs. Based on the helpful feedback in these forums, I am currently awaiting delivery of my own pair of Susvara’s. I’m very much looking forward to hearing them together.
your experience with the susvara will mirror your experiences described

Jul 22, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #10,129 of 26,687
Interesting. As recently posted, I too have a Bakoon-13R and am awaiting the arrival of my Susvaras. I also use the Lumin T2/L1 combo with the Sbooster mod. What do you find the the Manley preamp adds to the mix? I’ve tried using the Lumin app as a “preamp” using the LEEDH volume processing control, but found it somewhat thin sounding compared to the 13R alone. Of course, that’s not the same as an active preamp, let alone with tubes in the mix. Are you using the Bakoon’s high gain setting? What about the T2’s gain setting?
Glad there’s another person who has a similar setup to mine 😁 the difference is I don’t have the Sbooster mod so I’m still using the standard internal PSU. I like the LEEDH volume, as it makes the soundstage wider, I can hear better instrument separation, and it doesn’t feel thin at all. Perhaps tighter bass control can give the impression of “thinner” sound, but to my ears it retains the full bodied sound. Bear in mind that I don’t have the Sbooster mod so this can also play a part.

The Manley preamp really elevates everything, but the most noticeable improvement is the expanded soundstage and very euphonic & lush midrange. The 300B tubes really do their magic here. I’ve switched between the direct and transformer mode, and prefer the direct sound (transformer is what usually colorized the sound of tube amps/preamp and yes, on the Manley the sound becomes too lush and gooey for my taste). It retains the speed and clarity in direct mode, I do hear more sparkle up top and weightier bass notes, but everything flows more naturally, not a single hint of harshness. Without the Manley, it already sounds natural but this really takes it up a couple of notches. Do note that it’s not common to have 300B tubes in a preamp, only a handful of preamps use them. I may do some tube rolling in the future as the new production WE 300Bs are already on my radar while the 6SL7s and 5AR4s could be rolled as well.

With regards to the gain, I use high gain and max volume on 13R, low gain on T2 (high gain if listening to my SR1a). Manley’s volume is set at 12 o’clock position, and the overall volume adjustment is done through Lumin’s LEEDH prodessing.

Jul 22, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #10,130 of 26,687
Glad there’s another person who has a similar setup to mine 😁 the difference is I don’t have the Sbooster mod so I’m still using the standard internal PSU. I like the LEEDH volume, as it makes the soundstage wider, I can hear better instrument separation, and it doesn’t feel thin at all. Perhaps tighter bass control can give the impression of “thinner” sound, but to my ears it retains the full bodied sound. Bear in mind that I don’t have the Sbooster mod so this can also play a part.

The Manley preamp really elevates everything, but the most noticeable improvement is the expanded soundstage and very euphonic & lush midrange. The 300B tubes really do their magic here. I’ve switched between the direct and transformer mode, and prefer the direct sound (transformer is what usually colorized the sound of tube amps/preamp and yes, on the Manley the sound becomes too lush and gooey for my taste). It retains the speed and clarity in direct mode, I do hear more sparkle up top and weightier bass notes, but everything flows more naturally, not a single hint of harshness. Without the Manley, it already sounds natural but this really takes it up a couple of notches. Do note that it’s not common to have 300B tubes in a preamp, only a handful of preamps use them. I may do some tube rolling in the future as the new production WE 300Bs are already on my radar while the 6SL7s and 5AR4s could be rolled as well.

With regards to the gain, I use high gain and max volume on 13R, low gain on T2 (high gain if listening to my SR1a). Manley’s volume is set at 12 o’clock position, and the overall volume adjustment is done through Lumin’s LEEDH prodessing.
Nice! I’m trying to wean myself from a multi decade tube habit. Over the years when presented with tube rolling options, I spend more time listening to audiophile sound effects than music, and obsessing about finding the perfect unobtanium glowing glass solution. It was a lot of fun, but I’m getting old and want to have an easier relationship with my system. That said, I can see where adding some 300b’s to the chain could put more meat on the bones.

Meanwhile, my Susvaras arrived today. I’m around 2 hours into burn in but they sound phenomenal. An amazing balance of transparency, timbral nuance and body. I have both the Lumin and the 13R set on high gain. The new new Lumin firmware update sounds great on Tidal. After the recommend 150 hour burn in, I’ll try setting my amp snd the T2 as you suggest. It may sound different with headphones as opposed to my Tonian speakers. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated!

Jul 22, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #10,131 of 26,687
The Manley preamp really elevates everything...

I've had the Manley Neo-Classic 300B in the back of my mind for some time now, while considering a tube headamp for my system. It gets practically zero attention here on the boards, so I'm happy that you mentioned it and are having a good experience with it. Seems like a good competitor to the Woo WA5-LE.

Jul 22, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #10,132 of 26,687
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated!
My pleasure, and oh, I also use high gain on T2 without the Manley in chain. Enjoy your Susvara!

Jul 22, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #10,133 of 26,687
I've had the Manley Neo-Classic 300B in the back of my mind for some time now, while considering a tube headamp for my system. It gets practically zero attention here on the boards, so I'm happy that you mentioned it and are having a good experience with it. Seems like a good competitor to the Woo WA5-LE.
I believe there were quite a few impressions on head-fi, but they go a long way back to early 2000’s.

Jul 22, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #10,134 of 26,687
Just got the DH cable and a couple other goodies (Niagara 3000 w/Thunder AC cable, and GL KT88's for the PrimaLuna, oh and an MScaler). I'll report back on cable once I break in these tubes.

Office.jpg
necro!
What is the unit the that headphones are connected too? Is the PL to that device, then to headphones?

Jul 23, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #10,135 of 26,687
We have a local tube amp master (designer of Leo Research amplifiers) who has been in the business for a very long time, and I visited his shop recently to ask about customizing one of his 300b power amp designs. He has one that I liked which is a good size (about 31x32cm) but it’s purely a speaker amp only with no headphone socket. I asked if he is able to customise and include a headphone XLR socket that can output as much power as the speaker outs, but with an impedance that is a much better match to our headphones. He confirmed that he is able to do this for me and it will take him only 2-3 days. I guess my question is: if I own a Susvara and an Abyss 1266 TC, what would be the ideal impedance of the headphone socket? Our tube gentleman said that he can customize the socket to be 60ohm, perfect match to Susvara’s 60ohm impedance. I forgot to mention that I own a TC as well (47 ohms), and with my very limited understanding of the technicalities, I wonder if 60ohm is still fine for both cans or if there’s a better number?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #10,136 of 26,687
We have a local tube amp master (designer of Leo Research amplifiers) who has been in the business for a very long time, and I visited his shop recently to ask about customizing one of his 300b power amp designs to include a headphone XLR socket that can output as much power as the speaker outs, but with an impedance that is a much better match to our headphones. He confirmed that he is able to do this for me and it will take him only 2-3 days. I guess my question is: if I own a Susvara and an Abyss 1266 TC, what would be the ideal impedance of the headphone socket? Our tube gentleman said that he can customize the socket to be 60ohm, perfect match to Susvara’s 60ohm impedance. I forgot to mention that I own a TC as well (47 ohms), and with my very limited understanding of the technicalities, I wonder if 60ohm is still fine for both cans or if there’s a better number?
I'd go with 60 ohm. My Primavera is 50 ohm.

This seems logical as the Susvara is slightly more demanding. Although I'm fairly convinced the nominal difference would be negligible.

Bring your phones to the shop and test it out.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #10,137 of 26,687
I'd go with 60 ohm. My Primavera is 50 ohm.

This seems logical as the Susvara is slightly more demanding. Although I'm fairly convinced the nominal difference would be negligible.

Bring your phones to the shop and test it out.

I actually brought my cans the other day when I visited his shop and tested the Susvara with the 300b power amp out of the speaker taps and it sounded great. I was thinking about getting either a 300b power amp, or a 300b headphone amp (the latter options being significantly more expensive) when the designer said that he can remove the remote control sensor, and use the existing sensor hole and replace it with an XLR socket with a custom impedance rating. It’s just an additional 100 SG$ custom work and since he’s gonna throw in a 50 SG$ tube cage for free, it sounds like an appealing opportunity for a custom 300b amp for the Sus and TC for a better price. Once I’ve decided, I’ll let him know. Thanks, mate!

Jul 23, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #10,138 of 26,687
I actually brought my cans the other day when I visited his shop and tested the Susvara with the 300b power amp out of the speaker taps and it sounded great. I was thinking about getting either a 300b power amp, or a 300b headphone amp (the latter options being significantly more expensive) when the designer said that he can remove the remote control sensor, and use the existing sensor hole and replace it with an XLR socket with a custom impedance rating. It’s just an additional 100 SG$ custom work and since he’s gonna throw in a 50 SG$ tube cage for free, it sounds like an appealing opportunity for a custom 300b amp for the Sus and TC for a better price. Once I’ve decided, I’ll let him know. Thanks, mate!
I'd suspect 0 audible change from either impedance. Maybe if they were much larger considering the conventional ranges of selectable impedance.

Jul 23, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #10,139 of 26,687
The Susvara really spoils me..

Was listening with the VO desert ironwood past few days and today did a quick comparison with the Susvara and omg it's really no contest.. That level of transparency and insight into the music that the Susvara offers is really leaps and bounds ahead.
Do you get another jump up going to tc ?

Jul 23, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #10,140 of 26,687
The Susvara really spoils me..

Was listening with the VO desert ironwood past few days and today did a quick comparison with the Susvara and omg it's really no contest.. That level of transparency and insight into the music that the Susvara offers is really leaps and bounds ahead.

Yes,the susvara has ruined my love for the VO. I have only used my VO a couple of times since getting the susvara in December. I really need to list and sell my VO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back