HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 11, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #8,056 of 25,649
Regarding Rap,NO mastering tricks can elevate what I have admittedly always INVOLUNTARILY heard from that genre so far ,anywhere near what I relate to as real music.

Imho RAP is the lowest of the low, and mostly both serious mind and noise pollution.
One might categorize it as THE musical genre generally devoid of musical content

Where I live we have in recent months had several very serious criminal cases directly linked to popular local Rappers. Drugdealings,kidnappings, homicide and other abominable crimes.
And those guys are way too often the role models for much of our youth. Not only gloryfying violence and crime with their horrible rap, but also serious criminals guilty of comitting very serious crimes.
Christer, you're about as ignorant on rap/hip-hop and other musical genres you thumb your nose to as someone who told you they don't understand anyone who likes Jazz because they tried Kenny-G on the radio. I find real music lovers dig deeper and eventually figure out why someone would love a particular type of music even if it's not to their own taste.

*Susvara owner who puts hip-hop, electronic and many genres other 'snob inappropriate' types of music on blast.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #8,057 of 25,649
I will buy Susvara and hear 90% only metal. Power, Thrash, Symphonic and a little Death and Black. Had Abyss TC but this thing has so crappy comfort and on louder volumes it distort when no seal. And with seal no punch. So not my cup of tea.
And the mids unnatural. Utopia eats it on breakfast for mids and coherency and tonality.
Currently my preference is SR007, SR009 driven by Carbon and Utopia driven by V281. Will see where the Susvara fits.

An amazing headphone must play all genres good (when the recording is good) otherwise it has flaws in tonality or technicality.
The Susvara does !

Apr 11, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #8,058 of 25,649
...which is something I don't get but that is me. I am still irritated by seeing Karajan, who was a Nazi party member, on Qobuz or Amazon. But that image and being able to separate the emotional benefit you are getting from the source which has been one and the same with its image at its time is a more "professional" looking at music.

I've read well over a dozen books about Wagner and biographies of many other great composers as well as modern conductors and musicians and very few can be considered "saints", i.e. beacons of morality. Obviously, the same can be said about many rock and pop artists. How about Michael Jackson? For a while, I removed his music from my library and vowed to never listen when all the allegations came out. But, as time went by, I decided that shouldn't stop me from enjoying his great body of works and his spectacular talents. How about Phil Spector? Should we go through all the classic recordings that he produced and remove them from our library and playlists? It goes on and on.

Anyway, I don't want to drag on this side conversation which does have merit in regards to using TOTL headphones and audiophile gear to enjoy mainstream genres such as pop, rock, metal, hip hop, etc. As owner of the SR1a, 1266 TC and the LCD-4, I see the Susvara fitting in and complementing the other three nicely. Tonally, it'd be somewhere in between the SR1a and the TC. To me, it would be like an "autumn" type of tonality if the SR1a is "winter", the TC is like "spring" and the LCD-4 is like "summer". All seasons have their particular beauty and character.

Apr 11, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #8,059 of 25,649
Christer, you're about as ignorant on rap/hip-hop and other musical genres you thumb your nose to as someone who told you they don't understand anyone who likes Jazz because they tried Kenny-G on the radio. I find real music lovers dig deeper and eventually figure out why someone would love a particular type of music even if it's not to their own taste.

*Susvara owner who puts hip-hop, electronic and many genres other 'snob inappropriate' types of music on blast.
Literally me 😂 i can go from classical to techno to rap back to blues and jazz all in the space of a few songs

Apr 11, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #8,060 of 25,649

That was literally one of the most ignorant post I've ever read (the post you're calling out). And was trying to stay out of this topic, because I know people are even more biased here than with just headphones.. but agree with everything stated here. (btw, I listen to almost everything)

Apr 12, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #8,063 of 25,649
I come to HeadFi to get away from a year+ of Covid, the endless negative news cycle, politics and the 'I'm right and you're wrong' mindset.

Was @Christer over the top with his opinion on music he doesn't care for? Perhaps, but it is his opinion and he DID say he likes to stir the pot and he has!

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #8,064 of 25,649
iv9jnxnc7co61.jpg

And just so you know that this is all A-Okay and on topic, the kid listens to vinyl only with the Susvara, and nothing else ...
tenor.gif

Apr 12, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #8,066 of 25,649
I've read well over a dozen books about Wagner and biographies of many other great composers as well as modern conductors and musicians and very few can be considered "saints", i.e. beacons of morality. Obviously, the same can be said about many rock and pop artists. How about Michael Jackson? For a while, I removed his music from my library and vowed to never listen when all the allegations came out. But, as time went by, I decided that shouldn't stop me from enjoying his great body of works and his spectacular talents. How about Phil Spector? Should we go through all the classic recordings that he produced and remove them from our library and playlists? It goes on and on.
There is a difference between not being a saint (human) and a criminal. :wink:

Anyway...any Susvara owners here that also own the R10P?

Apr 12, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #8,067 of 25,649
iv9jnxnc7co61.jpg

And just so you know that this is all A-Okay and on topic, the kid listens to vinyl only with the Susvara, and nothing else ...
tenor.gif
And in those older “dad days” instead of having the internet and these forums (i guess) all info re recordings, gear, etc came through vis magazine publications, the local record and hifi stores and meets when people literally gathered together.
for me, there was something special in that.
now, on the other hand, we have the luxury of all the info that is available to us with an electronic device connected to the internet (and a susvara headphone and suitable amp to listen to music)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #8,068 of 25,649
And in those older “dad days” instead of having the internet and these forums (i guess) all info re recordings, gear, etc came through vis magazine publications, the local record and hifi stores and meets when people literally gathered together.
for me, there was something special in that.
now, on the other hand, we have the luxury of all the info that is available to us with an electronic device connected to the internet (and a susvara headphone and suitable amp to listen to music)
and of course radio stations talking about and playing laterst releases and sometimes the whole album (say once a week). Or having an “album of the week” where they would play various tracks during the week

and i would go to my local record store to listen to an album or one side of it, and from memory they would have koss porta pros to hear it with (or something that looked very similar)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #8,070 of 25,649
The reason I brought him up was, I could somehow relate to the setup, as I am from Turkey living outside and have seen how people can cooperate with such utterly corrupt and abusive systems just to be able to "use the lift", and how a different personality can unfold from people that you would not expect, and how reality could become the secondary concern. Drawing parallels to that period of time could have made me a bit more sensitive about the topic and it is for me not easy to draw a thin line between personality and art. But what the hell, the world is full of professionals, anyway. We all knew where we would end up 20 years ago, but professionals around world choose to draw the line between the benefit and the personality. :wink: I guess, he was married to a "half-Jew". Hmmm...no...I still cannot digest what he did.

The music of Asia (especially India) to Middle East to Africa, all rhythmically and melodically impressive, and being able grasp that classical cultures is not an easy thing, and is not a "cool thing" these days, because they are not the "modern music". Most of the west-east fusion projects are orientalist failures, but there are people that did it exceptionally well. I guess if Shakti project of John McLaughlin didn't exist, i wouldn't know about like Kala Ramnath or Vilayat Khan, and be in touch with this incredible music culture today - beside the folk and classical music of my own region.

So, no need to be all negative. :) Back to listening...
As you say" no need to be all negative". Very good Solitaire comparison review! I definitely have to audition both.

And as far as music is concered and judging from the two great Musicians you mention, I might mention that I have worked both as a photographer and Tour Guide in India during many years. And now during this horrible Corona year, at home in Sweden over winter for the first time in some 20 years I start basically every morning after my Yoga practice with some Indian Classical Music.

And while my breakfast eggs boil I play either some Simon and Garfunkel or some Debussy on my piano.

Together with the best of Western Classical the Indian Folk and classical music traditions are the most rewarding and wonderful and truly great musical genres I know of ,and I wish it was more known in the Western world.

But of course the real Classical Indian music is for people with an attention span capable of stretching more than the 3-4 minutes average western pop track.

Just one example, One of Kala Ramnaths live concerts on YT runs over an hour.

And how many of today´s Tidal and other playlist chosen muzakk as a background to whatever else they are actually occupied with listeners,have time to spare for a real Concert?

Ok the older generation of which there seem to be at least a few here ,not only angry Rap and Death Metal kids, got a taste of India and Ravi Shankar via the Beatles.
And imo his daughter Anoushka Shankar carries his tradition gloriously forward.
And although most probably don´t know it through the Beatles the kids of the 70s and around those times also got fed a bit of Bach, unknowingly of course.
PS. After some really initated posts,not yours! I just felt like spicing the pot a bit... not stirring it.
Cheers CC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back