HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 7, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #5,326 of 25,606
latest album "Cyr"

Is it any good? Feedback on it is a mixed bag, isn't it?

I wonder if Susvara on a good speaker amp can get bass quantity that approaches lcd4 and abyss.

From what folks here and some reviewers wrote, bass power and dynamic slam are two distinctive benefits upon connecting Susvara to a regular stereo amp.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 7, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #5,328 of 25,606
out of curiosity if one wants to go the speaker amp route why not go with the schiit ragnarok?....it is basically a speaker amp with more than ample power that is also set up to play nice with headphones?Serious power

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #5,330 of 25,606
out of curiosity if one wants to go the speaker amp route why not go with the schiit ragnarok?....it is basically a speaker amp with more than ample power that is also set up to play nice with headphones?Serious power
That's what I did. I am tempted to try the Bakoon next.

Dec 7, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #5,331 of 25,606

For me, I already had the X150.5 which I freed up from my speaker system while I've been playing with tube amps. I'm also a Pass Labs fan, so I figured why not give it a try.

Dec 7, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #5,332 of 25,606
I am actually interested in the new violectric 550 having had a good experience with the 281....I noticed they raised the price on the nimbus beyond what would interest me....they have a pre order sale for the 550 with the remote and enhanced volume control
That's what I did. I am tempted to try the Bakoon next.
I am curious, how do you like the ragnarok with the susvara?....with all the talk about speaker amps I am tempted to pick up a ragnarok to use with my susvara and abyss tc.....seems to me given that it is designed as a headphone amp as well as speaker amp and it is powerful as most speaker amps people suggest that it might be a good compromise?

Dec 7, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #5,333 of 25,606
You might want to take a look here.

Yup saw that, seems the kinki did well but the bakoon took it. I wonder though about an amp as powerful as kinki but higher quality.

Dec 7, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #5,335 of 25,606
perhaps, but my question relates to the ragnarok 2 as a modestly priced powerhouse that plays well with headphones and has the power of a speaker amp....I am asking not declaring

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #5,336 of 25,606
I wonder if you can scale more than WA33? With proper speaker amps for similar price?

I don't have the experience to know. But I've said long ago in this thread that there's tons of budget/vintage amps out there that are excellent for the price to at least try. Haven't gone down that path to be able to say, but I certainly think it's worth looking into.

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #5,337 of 25,606
I am curious, how do you like the ragnarok with the susvara?....with all the talk about speaker amps I am tempted to pick up a ragnarok to use with my susvara and abyss tc.....seems to me given that it is designed as a headphone amp as well as speaker amp and it is powerful as most speaker amps people suggest that it might be a good compromise?
I am also interested in the new Violectric and the Bakoon amp.

I'm pretty satisfied with the Rag2. The thing is it's my first amp/Susvara combo, so I don't really know what might change with another amp. I can tell you with all my other headphones, the Rag2 breathed new life into them. It is not a completely transparent amp, it definitely imparts some of it's warm and analog character to the sound. Until I try the Susvara with something else, I can't really comment on how the Rag2 is doing with them. I can tell you that I get more than enough volume out of just the second gain level and at third (max) gain, there is a slight detectable hiss but also the full 60watts into 8ohm available to the headphones. The 256 stepped attenuator is first class. Since getting it with the TT2, I started to use the Rag2 as a power amp by keeping it at full volume on the second gain level and controlling the volume from the TT2. Sounds great, my one complaint would be that the Susvaras don't really come alive until I crank them up, but I don't always want to listen to loud music. The dynamics and punch aren't there at low to moderate volumes. Not sure how much of that the Rag2 has to do with or if it's just the Susvaras. The Rag2 also has balanced and unbalanced inputs and their Nexus preamp stage works great with with both types of sources. It also has preamp outs, balanced and unbalanced, three gain modes, decent DAC, phono stage, a superb volume control. I literally can't find another amp that has all these features, forget in this price range.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #5,338 of 25,606
I owned the bakoon 13r and it is outstanding but it is 6K....the violectric is also excellent and the new 550 model looks like an excellent amp....both the bakoon and violectric are less grunt and more subtle than would be a speaker amp but the reason I have been interested in the rag2 is due to all the talk of speaker amps and the power they can provide....I am curious as to how different the rag 2 with all its power would drive the susvara relative to more traditional powered headphone amps..the susvara comes alive with volume so your description does not surprise me and I doubt it would be different with other amps

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #5,340 of 25,606
I owned the bakoon 13r and it is outstanding but it is 6K....the violectric is also excellent and the new 550 model looks like an excellent amp....both the bakoon and violectric are less grunt and more subtle than would be a speaker amp but the reason I have been interested in the rag2 is due to all the talk of speaker amps and the power they can provide....I am curious as to how different the rag 2 with all its power would drive the susvara relative to more traditional powered headphone amps..the susvara comes alive with volume so your description does not surprise me and I doubt it would be different with other amps
Yes, I believe even at second gain level on the Rag2, it's providing more power to the Susvara than most headphone amps out there. I'll vouch for the fact that when sub bass hits, it comes out of nowhere and thumps me. It seems like it gets all the power it ever needs from it. What I'm curious about is mainly the speed and the resolution compared to other amps that have been well regarded with the Susvara. I'm not sure how the Rag2 compares in those departments because there's not much out there about it, surprisingly. As I described, it's definitely a massive value - so I'm always surprised how little it's discussed, especially in the Susvara, HE6, and Abyss threads where it would be ideally suited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back