HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 22, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #3,991 of 25,658
Newbie here .. Browsing the thread, I wanted to know what the thread favorites are for the best headphone amps to drive Susvara. I am presently using Dave + MScaler and it is not enough meat on the bones for Susvara. I listen to alternative and classic rock and blues at times.

I am reading Solaris, Bakoon & Niimbus US4. Does anyone have comparisons between them or suggestions ?
Woo Audio WA33 should be added to the list. It drives the Susvaras very well

Jun 22, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #3,992 of 25,658
Newbie here .. Browsing the thread, I wanted to know what the thread favorites are for the best headphone amps to drive Susvara. I am presently using Dave + MScaler and it is not enough meat on the bones for Susvara. I listen to alternative and classic rock and blues at times.

I am reading Solaris, Bakoon & Niimbus US4. Does anyone have comparisons between them or suggestions ?

go the cheap route first...a THX 789/887 (Which I had) or Topping A90. These things have a lot of clean power, if not violectric 281 (which I have), drive it beautifully.

Jun 22, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #3,993 of 25,658
I would add the Luxman P700u/P750u to the list. Super fast, layered soundstage, pinpoint imaging, full bodied, and deep articulate bass.

Jun 22, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #3,995 of 25,658
go the cheap route first...a THX 789/887 (Which I had) or Topping A90. These things have a lot of clean power, if not violectric 281 (which I have), drive it beautifully.

Especially the A90. But it just wouldn't feel right feeding a DAVE/M-Scaler into a $500 amp :wink:

There's quite a long list of amps that can drive the Susvara quite well, such as the GS-X Mini and Mark II, and a number of tube amps too. Presently I really like the Mogwai SE and Bigger Ben from ampsandsound. Both will pump 5+ watts into 32 ohms.

Jun 22, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #3,996 of 25,658
I also really like my Nirvana with the Susvara. I think it will take me a several weeks to decide between the Luxman and Auris which I like best. Both amps really drive the Susvara beautifully.

Jun 22, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #3,998 of 25,658
Especially the A90. But it just wouldn't feel right feeding a DAVE/M-Scaler into a $500 amp :wink:

There's quite a long list of amps that can drive the Susvara quite well, such as the GS-X Mini and Mark II, and a number of tube amps too. Presently I really like the Mogwai SE and Bigger Ben from ampsandsound. Both will pump 5+ watts into 32 ohms.

theres a youtuber that compared it to the benchmark HPA4, he peak my curiosity, I caved and bought one lol.

Jun 23, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #4,001 of 25,658
If we are still on the amp discussion, my Headtrip Reference drives them very well but I am curious about AIC 10 or WA33.

When will this curiosity end....:triportsad:

Jun 23, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #4,002 of 25,658
If we are still on the amp discussion, my Headtrip Reference drives them very well but I am curious about AIC 10 or WA33.

As soon as you tested them for youself.
By then there could be curiosity how other amps drive them ...

Jun 23, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #4,003 of 25,658
It would be nice if someone would compile a list of viable amps for the Susvara, a list linked to the first page of this thread if possible... Or maybe, too, one could open a special Susvara amp thread with some kind of ranking or point system where people who have tried different amps with the Susvara could go and rank them on the basis of their experiences and impressions.

I would do it myself, if I felt qualified to. However, I do not own the Susvara, and have not had the opportunity to audition one on several amps in the way that people who frequently attend canjams or have access to boutique headphone and HPamp dealerships do.

I know such a compilation would be a great resource for people interested in this headphone. Most headphones would not require such a comparative list of possible matching amps, but I am sure most would agree that one is a must for the Susvara.

Jun 23, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #4,004 of 25,658

Headtrip was one of the amps I was reading about .. it appears to be capable of insane power. I would love to get sth that quenches the thirst and most of the curiosity :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back