HiFiMan Susvara
May 17, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #1,246 of 25,631
I use many different amps with the Susvaras.
Earlier I made positive comments about the Susvaras with the IfI Pro, an excellent choice.

These days I am using the Susvara in a set-up that is a pure synergical revelation (Susvara + Monoblock Silver Knight SE amps).
But I dont own the Susvaras so they'll go back soon.

I fully believe your assessment. The challenging is always variation in gear when individuals are listening. I'm going to try to drive them through normal headphone output tomorrow to see if the sound changed.

May 17, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #1,247 of 25,631
... I'm going to try to drive them through normal headphone output....

You mean on your McIntosh?

As I'm sure you know, they need excellent amps to reach full sonic bloom.
I drove them a while back with a Passlabs HPA-1, but to my shock, they didn't sound very good.... a mystery...

The Pass HPA couldnt drive them properly.....might've been something wrong with the unit I had at hand, although I
have no reason to believe that was the case, as the amps sounded wonderful with other HPs.

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,248 of 25,631

I drove them a while back with a Passlabs HPA-1, but to my shock, they didn't sound very good.... a mystery...

The Pass HPA couldnt drive them properly.....might've been something wrong with the unit I had at hand, although I
have no reason to believe that was the case, as the amps sounded wonderful with other HPs.

I think I have read another review some where saying the HPA is slightly underpowered for Susvara.

I wonder how much a good DAC can add to the Susvara. The DAC section in the MHA100 suppose to be the weak link. I played around with cheaper DACs like Black Label and AK380 via line out. The integrated in the MHA100 actually sounds better.

May 18, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #1,249 of 25,631
I use many different amps with the Susvaras.
Earlier I made positive comments about the Susvaras with the IfI Pro, an excellent choice.

I can confirm that iFi Pro iCan is great with Susvara. Chord Dave>iFi Pro iCan>Susvara sounds really nice in every aspect. Thanks for your tip that inspired me to buy the iFi. I enjoy the combo more and more every day.

I have a similar amp experience with Susvara: My previous reference headamp for non-estat headphones was Leben CS-600 with KT120 tubes. It was the only amp that made my Sennheiser HD800 listenable, live, musical and enjoyable. All heaphones I tried sounded great out of this amp. Even all of my Staxes via speaker outs of this Leben and Stax SRD-7 Pro box sounded very nice. But I was dissapointed when trying Susvara via the headphone output of the Leben. All the magic was gone, I had to add lots of volume but the underpower was too evident. It was the first time I was not happy with the Leben headphone output and I preferred the direct output of my Chord Dave with Susvara. Susvara needs power and the Leben headphone out is not strong enough for Sus. I planned to buy Hifiman HE-adapter to try speaker outs of the Leben (more power) with Susvara but after a short time with the iFi Pro iCan, I do not think it is necessary. The iFi/Sus combo is really stellar.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #1,251 of 25,631
I can confirm that iFi Pro iCan is great with Susvara. Thanks for your tip that inspired me to buy the iFi. I enjoy the combo more and more every day.
The iFi/Sus combo is really stellar.

No worries mate :gs1000smile:

iFi Pro is probably the best commercial, non exotic, conservatively designed amplifier out there.
The only thing - commercially speaking - is that it's so underrated!

Lots of adjustability, Multi level cross-feed, Multi level Bass correction, Valve input, transistor input, and lots more.
But most importantly: the SOUND, truly amazing, I dont know how they've done it.

When I listened to it and compared it to Pass HPA, it was so superior it was embarrassing!

But Pass is built like a tank, with massive, beautifully finished, anodized sheets of metal
and immaculate assembly.

Susvara + iFi Pro + a good DAC = the end game, Really, no kidding.

Just remember to upgrade the cables immediately. The cables that come with the Susvara belongs in the trash can :frowning2:

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #1,252 of 25,631
I have a similar amp experience with Susvara: My previous reference headamp for non-estat headphones was Leben CS-600 with KT120 tubes.
But I was dissapointed when trying Susvara via the headphone output of the Leben.
I planned to buy Hifiman HE-adapter to try speaker outs of the Leben (more power) with Susvara but after a short time with the iFi Pro iCan, I do not think it is necessary. The iFi/Sus combo is really stellar.

I have quite a few very High-End amps at my disposal.
Susvara + iFi Pro really blew my mind. But you need to use a very very good DAC.

Of course there are better amps out there, but not at that price.
iFi Pro must be correctly set-up with the Susvara. The best set-up I arrived at was the following:

• Bass Correction level = 40 Hz
  • Input = Tube + (tube plus)
  • HD Correction Circuit = 60 degrees
  • 9 dB Gain
The most important note: USE THE BALANCED OUTPUTS !!!

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #1,253 of 25,631
No worries mate :gs1000smile:

iFi Pro is probably the best commercial, non exotic, conservatively designed amplifier out there.
The only thing - commercially speaking - is that it's so underrated!

Lots of adjustability, Multi level cross-feed, Multi level Bass correction, Valve input, transistor input, and lots more.
But most importantly: the SOUND, truly amazing, I dont know how they've done it.

When I listened to it and compared it to Pass HPA, it was so superior it was embarrassing!

But Pass was built like a tank, with massive, beautifully finished, anodized sheets of metal
and immaculate assembly.

If you have a really good DAC, then that's it! You're done. Really, no kidding around.
Susvara + iFi Pro + excellent DAC is the end game.

Just remember to upgrade the cables immediately. The cables that come with the Susvara belongs in a trash can :frowning2:

Appreciate the suggestions. I'm sure you'll come to your senses and upgrade to the Susvara.

May 19, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #1,255 of 25,631
iFi Pro - mysteries solved....
Well, the mystery is solved. Now I know why iFi Pro is such an amazing machine. Look who the designer is:

iFi Pro.jpg

May 19, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #1,256 of 25,631
I have quite a few very High-End amps at my disposal.
Susvara + iFi Pro really blew my mind. But you need to use a very very good DAC.

Of course there are better amps out there, but not at that price.
iFi Pro must be correctly set-up with the Susvara. The best set-up I arrived at was the following:

• Bass Correction level = 40 Hz
  • Input = Tube + (tube plus)
  • HD Correction Circuit = 60 degrees
  • 9 dB Gain
The most important note: USE THE BALANCED OUTPUTS !!!

I am still playing around with these iFi settings but I prefer 0db gain. Source: Chord Dave in DAC mode.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #1,257 of 25,631
Is everyone putting his/her Susvara on a headphone stand 24/7? The leather headband doesn't seem to have too much anchoring on it as with HeK. I'm afraid over time, it's going to snap. Who wins, gravity or Hifiman build quality?

May 21, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #1,260 of 25,631
Is everyone putting his/her Susvara on a headphone stand 24/7? The leather headband doesn't seem to have too much anchoring on it as with HeK. I'm afraid over time, it's going to snap. Who wins, gravity or Hifiman build quality?

You can hang it on the metal headband instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back